BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
22 Oct 2019 08:31 #215040 by X8GGY
Yup, I was thinking and hoping the same... too much hassle to collect it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
23 Oct 2019 16:57 - 23 Oct 2019 16:59 #215081 by X8GGY
I mentioned in the S200KYS ongoing build thread that my work on repairing it for the MOT was disturbed by a couple of visitors?...

GV42 and his brother popped round... I'd messaged him about some JimnyBits front recovery points he'd posted for sale on this fine forum, and he popped round with them -

B)

... in exchange for an anti-roll-bar disconnect kit, and I threw in some breather parts (a Vitara kit that I base my own Jimny ones on) to make the exchange fairer in my view! ;) And a nice cuppa and a natter of course ;)

THANKS VERY MUCH 'GV42' Cheers! Dave B)

They're going on the front of the buggy's chassis as recovery points and also to mout the lower front grill / donut fairlead and bumper to, as they have multiple strong bolts to the chassis rails B)

More and more parts... just need more TIME! (fixing S200KYS doesn't help!) :lol:
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Oct 2019 16:59 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
24 Oct 2019 19:27 #215125 by X8GGY
I had an hour or so off this afternoon... so after walking the labradors, I started having a look at the JimnyBits front recovery points...

I got these from GV42 who advertised them on this very forum, the idea being that they are bolt-on - as I don't want to alter the chassis in any way on this build, been there done that, and fell foul of the DVLA and VOSA...so that I can also mount the front lower grill section to them, and the donut fairlead on the end of the winch rope tube from the rear winch, and some sort of front half-bumper 'bumperette' affair too... ;) ...

Loosely fitted to give me an idea of their placement...

So the donut fairlead has to fit slightly above... so I plan to weld in some box section across the two L-shaped brackets that bolt to the main brackets and through the top of the chassis rails...

Something like this -

Got it in my head, just need to transfer it to steel ! ;)
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
24 Oct 2019 19:58 #215126 by X8GGY
I know, I seem to jump around the buggy, looking and working on various bits, over-lapping it would seem... but it depends on how much time I have on any given day, whether I have time to get mucky and have a shower afterwards, or just mock stuff up and sit back and stare at it for a while... things all need to integrate with each other and look right at the end... so apologies if I see,m to flit around! ;)

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Oct 2019 04:07 #215127 by Lambert
Don't worry about that, you just keep us all informed and that will do. It's all good!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Oct 2019 09:12 #215132 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Your project Dave do what you like mate, I like watching the progress for any build and it certainly doesn't matter what order its done in.... Its all part of the build ;)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Nov 2019 21:31 - 06 Nov 2019 21:43 #215437 by X8GGY
Ahh!... with S200KYS ' MOT out of the way, and he's polished and ready for Sunday's greenlaning trip. I can at last turn my attention back to tinkering with the boogie in the garage B)

A quick tidy up first, and with the buggy rolled out to brush the floor, I thought I might as well start with the pipe bender?...

Pipe bender, tube, cardboard template and bend-ometer ;)

Many years ago I found the following article very useful - www.pirate4x4.com/articles2/tech/bendin_tube

Remembering all that and past experience, I bent slightly past the bend-ometer and then released the jack to test the bend again... B)

Many thanks to Riccy for his advice based on his excellent work on Ulysses too, as he helped with tube, former and roller positions ;)

There we go, matching the cardboard template B)

Then, BAH! it wouldn't route through from the back and through the firewall?!

So I had to go from the front to the back instead... sorted!

Lined up to the centre of the winch drum :)

And then Mr. Angry IV is called in for his first job (sadly my trusty angle grinder number III passed away on Sunday gone :( ), to cut off the excess before I maim someone passing on the pavement! :lol:

Might as well put him to good use then! Next the JimnyBits rock sliders are on the bench... you may remember I managed to procure two driver's side bars from the end of a production run, and just needed to mirror the mounts from one to another...

So I lined up the encapsulated nuts and marker where to cut...

Whipped the section out with new Mr. Angry...

And then flipped the panel over ready for re-welding... ;)

Repeat with the end mounts...

And the smaller mount needed an extra cut for an infill to get the mount at the end of the sill bar's box section runner...

Weld, grind, sand, paint... and an opposite is made and ready to mount soon... I set it to one side to dry, and got on with...

Drilling and bolting the JimnyBits front recovery points...

And added some box section between them, making the front bolt holes encapsulated in the box.... this will be used to form the front lower grill section on top, and the...

... donut fairlead for the end of the winch rope guide tube...

So that it ends up like my earlier sketch -

So I then started cutting out the bumper from a huge piece of 6"x4" ox section I bought to make some Vitara steering idler arm braces from, but couldn't be bothered in the end... too much work for very little profit, based on the prices others are selling them for on eBay, so it's getting recycled into the front bumper ;)

I started the shape of it, but ran out of time... it will have slots cut for the recovery points to protrude through, and a recessed front number plate, when I get some more time... but that might be a while?! :( Saturday I'm off to Oxford for our eldest daughter's Masters Graduation B) Sunday we're greenlaning B) and next week I think I've lost most of my time off as the wife is working in the theatres, and next Thursday is my birthday, so I'm planning on having the next Sunday off ;) I'll try and squeeze some tinkering in soon though! ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Nov 2019 21:43 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
06 Nov 2019 22:07 #215438 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
DAVE its looking good ,
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Nov 2019 05:38 #215442 by Lambert
Remember Dave it's only in the dictionary that success comes before work!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Nov 2019 18:07 #215453 by Riccy
The more I see of this, the more I like the central winch idea. The tube bend is nice and mild, meaning the rope will have an easy time of it. The mounting point takes a huge weight off the nose and neatens up the front no end.

Front bumper looks well too :-) Very impressed mate!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
08 Nov 2019 06:50 #215464 by X8GGY
Thanks Guys! ;)

There's more to come on the wnch setup Riccy B)

There's a tubular loop going around the roofline like S200KYS to ac as tree scraper bars and to protect the soft-top... on the back of that there's going to be another small hawse fairlead pointing front to back, again a loop can be pulled out between the front of the drum and the donut fairlead on the back end of the guide tube, and that can be pulled up and out through this additional hawse fairlead on the roofline to either steady the buggy if it's getting tippy, or god forbid, to right it after a "little lie-down"...

Also... I plan to use a U-shaped shackle on a rod in front of the winch, with a handle off the top of it, to be able to guide the rope evenly over the drum, as the donut fairlead infront oof the winch might mean the rope would spool mostly onto the middle of the drum... As the back of the buggy will be open (a bit like a trayback) the "winch bitch" / passenger (Alan?!) could wiggle the handle in front of the drum and wind the rope back on evenly after a tug...

Just need more time to put these ideas into effect... winter soon! and I'l be hibernating in the garage ;)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
09 Nov 2019 08:35 - 09 Nov 2019 08:45 #215500 by X8GGY
I managed to get an hour in the garage yesterday, so I was wondering what I could do without getting dirty?

A bit of boring ;)

Blummin' iPhone! Wrong orientation, but you get the idea! :lol:

Drilled all the holes ready for cutting out the holes for the recovery points to pop through and the number plate recess...

Took some drilling as ut's 6mm thick! A bit weighty then, but most of the metal is getting removed!

The chassis bumper brackets slope inwards at the bottom, so with the numberplte mounted vertically it should also tunnel more air at the radiator too...

And they reckon my eyesight is bad? :ohmy: - nothing wrong with the alignment of them holes... by eye ;) I've rubbed out the guidelines to redraw them ready for cutting with the slitting disk next time I have some freetime...

The edges need cutting most of the way through too yet, and then bent, welded up and shaped with the angle grinder...
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Nov 2019 08:45 by X8GGY.

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds