BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
24 Feb 2021 17:37 - 24 Feb 2021 17:42 #233232 by X8GGY
And today...

Finally filled the diffs and transfer box with oil, and drove the buggy (!) out of the garage, turned it round and popped it back in ready to...

Solder up and heat shrink the mirror control wires, and all the unused wires in the passenger (Alan's?) door...

Back to the cardboard template for the door cards... test fitted, checked, made and fitted a bracket to hold the door handle, test fitted again... cut the aluminium chequer plate, test fitted it, drilled loads of holes in it, bent it using he same method as before, only the wife was working so her weight was replaced with the pipe bender on the other end of the bench :laugh:

Cut, bend, attached B)

Fake step...

So another two items off the list... errrr, that just leaves the front brakes to re-plumb then?!

Sunday's task then...

Ended the day...

Sat in it... played with the mirror remote switch until both mirrors were correctly aligned, and then threw the soft-top roof back and just sat there drinking a cuppa and munching a biscuit, smiling to myself... :lol:

Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Feb 2021 17:42 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, Riccy, Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Feb 2021 17:52 #233234 by Riccy
Love it Dave B)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
24 Feb 2021 18:30 #233237 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Looking Good Dave

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Feb 2021 18:54 #233239 by Lambert
Were you making bruum bruum car noises? Bet you did!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
24 Feb 2021 21:40 #233243 by X8GGY
Thanks Guys! ;)

Errr, no, no brumm brumm noises... I'd driven it earlier in the day... I just sat there imagining trips out in it... ;)

Going back to the brakes...

When I started the buggy nearly two years ago... I bought a TrailGear extended brake line kit (on the left) from JimnyBits, and have so far only used the rear extended braided brakeline, i figured recently with the front inner wings "gone" it would be easier to use two driver's side front brake lines, as the bassenger side used to come in half way up the inner wing and had a short section of the flexi going down to the square mount where the clip goes on... With the inner wings now gone, I figured I'd cut and join or re-bend the existing passenger side copper tube run to therefore meet up with the top of the mount as per the driver's side... 

Therefore I needed another driver's side flexi braided brake hose... I went back to the JimnyBits store and the TrailGear extended brakeline kits were out of stock, so too were the plain coloured kits of "their own", presuming these came from Llama4x4 I picked up a set off them off eBay... I know, I could have rung them and asked for just a single driver's side hose... but having spoken to Dave Round @ Llama in the past I chose not to :laugh: as I didn't have half a day to spare :woohoo: ... so I just orrdered a complete kit, I'll use the driver's side flexi out of it and re-sell the two passanger side ones, and keep the rear in my spares box...

So the driver's side flexi will "just" bolt on - I hope - and the passenger side will have the coper brake pipe either moved / re-bent to match, or I'll cut and add a new section if necessary... 

I'll have a look on Sunday, see what I can do... I've still got Alan's flaring tool, bendy machine, and most of a roll of copper tube ready and waiting in the the garage...

Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
24 Feb 2021 22:33 #233246 by X8GGY
Couldn't find the passenger side internal mirror cover trim today -

Just got one off eBay for a tenner delivered...

Also just ordered a diff filer plug gasket from the BigJimny store too B)

It's all coming together!

Just need Boris & Mark to give us the nod that we can go out and enjoy the 'lanes now! :woohoo:
Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2021 11:02 #233255 by LM42
Replied by LM42 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Looks amazing!

More
25 Feb 2021 13:58 #233258 by maverick
Excellent work ... what biscuit(s) was it?

Jalapeño, IISY?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
25 Feb 2021 18:00 #233262 by X8GGY
Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2021 18:03 #233263 by maverick
I didn't think you could eat chocolate??

Jalapeño, IISY?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
26 Feb 2021 05:45 #233286 by X8GGY
I'm a Type 1 Diabetic, as long as I inject (insulin) accordingly, within reason, I can lead a normal life... Working in the garage all day takes enegy which lowers my sugar level like any 'normal' person, so I have to bear that in mind, and a KitKat with a cuppa can still be an occasional treat...

;)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Feb 2021 17:28 - 28 Feb 2021 17:32 #233361 by X8GGY
I set the alarm this morning for a nice early start, and took the NGV over to Booker Cash and Carry the scenice way...

Had some brunch and then wandered out for a leisurely aftermoon looking at the Buggy's front brakes -

Driver's side should have been a doddle... the braided hose fitted in the top bracket... but in the two years I've been working on the buggy...

I couldn't find the front caliper banjo bolts... so I've ordered some new ones off eBay (none in the BigJimny store, I did check there first ;) )

So onto the passenger side for now...

Again, hose attached to the top mount, and a matching end in it, ready to taje the repositioned brake pipe (in the background)...

Alan's antique flaring tool... I'd practised on some copper pipe beforehand... but...

Bah! :( Jimny brakepipes are apparently steel not copper?! Evident when I cut it with the angle grinder as I didn't think copper would spark like steel... and the antique flaring tool isn't up to flaring steel pipes...

So in the house for a Google... ordered the pair of Banjo bolts shown above and looked at flaring tools, a vast price range, cheap and cheerful for copper, not so cheap for steel, and I'm only going to use it once, so not really worth the investment?... So I texted my mate who runs the garage around the corner, and he's lending me one on Wednesday that is up to the job...

So I after seeing Alan's flaring tool, I gave him a ring to catchup and see how he was...

... and parked the buggy back in the garage and took the dogs for a walk...

To be continued ;) ... on Wednesday B)

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Feb 2021 17:32 by X8GGY.

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds