BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
14 Feb 2021 14:35 #232772 by X8GGY
Thanks Soeley!

I eventually got up at 11am, and our baby got released at 1pm... She's showered and on the sofa catching up wih the programs that 22 year-olds watch, so I've just sat down to work on completing a new webshop for "ZookBOB"... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2021 14:50 #232773 by Old Neil

X8GGY wrote: Thanks Soeley!

I eventually got up at 11am, and our baby got released at 1pm... She's showered and on the sofa catching up wih the programs that 22 year-olds watch, so I've just sat down to work on completing a new webshop for "ZookBOB"... ;)

Good news, good to hear

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
14 Feb 2021 16:06 #232774 by Soeley

X8GGY wrote: Thanks Soeley!

Great news! 

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
16 Feb 2021 17:45 #232858 by X8GGY
I've just noticed the JimnyBuggy.Com Blog mentioned on the front page of BigJimny! Thanks Martin! B)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
17 Feb 2021 22:18 #232907 by X8GGY
One of those days today... nothing seemed to go right...

I started by eeing if I could replace the mirror glass rather than the whole mirror assembly... i.e. to save taking the guard off, lazy I know... 

Levered the glass out of the mirror I broke by trying to manupulate the angle of reflection by hand... Oops 

And eventually got the glass out of a spare mirror and inserted that in the original one... Believe me, it's a lot easier to just swap the whole assembly over!... (Read On!)

I then tried to use the door wiring loom that James J999PRE had kindly sent me to splice in the wires back up to the mirror so that the remote buttons would work, as manually manipulating the morror cleaely doesn't work... hence how it cracked!

Long-story-short... I ended up Googling for over an hour, and then emailed Martin the owner of this fine forum, and he kindly emailed me the wiring diagrams for the Jimny of my buggy's vintage...

So the above photo is the two different wiring schematics for the miror / motors so that I could try and work out which wires matched which in the doors... I had tried for ages with the test probe, but as there are only three wires going to the mirror I figured there was some polarity switching going on somewhere to give the two motors in the mirror assembly to give UP / DOWN / RIGHT and LEFT movements... hence searching for the wiring diagrams...

I'm VERY grateful to Martin for his help, and a little something is winging it's way to BigJimny HQ as a thank you! ;) 

As my eyesight isn't that great these days, due to my age and Diabetes, and the fact that I'm COLOUR BLIND too :laugh: I eventually went in the house and persuaded our youngest daughter to give me a quick hand, or eyes rather, in fathoming out the colours and bandings of the wires... She's off this week recouperating after spending the weekend in hospital :(

So, eventually I had the mirror wired up right... I thought ?!... but it didn't want to work? :(

I even patched in the other mirror thinking the circuitry may need both mirrors connected...

But to no avail...

Pop the kettle on, have a cuppa and think about it...

I then tried the wiring to another spare mirror (when you do the tight and scratchy 'lanes we do, you have a few spares lying around just in case)... Et Voila!, the original mirror was jiggered... so I had now ruined my first spare by levering the mirror glass out, and so ended up using my second spare mirror! D'Oh! :(

So with the mirror now working and the wires temporarily twisted together for testing purposes, all the other wires are un-needed to they were cut off at varying lengths and all heat shrunk...

And then heat shrinked together, the end turned over, and another heat shrink applied over the lot to hold the end fold in place...

Then the three mirror wires were cut to length, stripped, joined, soldered, heat shrunk, sleeved with another big heat shrink over the joins, and then tucked into the door inards... Thank God that was all done and working!

Time to celebrate with another cuppa... ;)

Then ALL the self tapping screw holes could be drilled and the door skin finally fitted "permanently"...

With the trim re-installed on the inside it all looks nice and neat with the round bar welded into the window channel B)

One finished! The other one on Sunday then? ;)

The handle pull to open the door has worked out rather well :)

Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
17 Feb 2021 22:25 - 17 Feb 2021 22:49 #232908 by X8GGY
Missed a photo (see post above)...

End of the day... Chuffed as a Train with the outcome... B)

I wanted it :-

1. To look like a buggy, like the door doesn't open, so the chequer plate looks like a step...
     Yet the doors can still open for gentlemen of our age (me and Alan!) to still get in and out!
     And yet, you can still clamber out if it's too tight to open a door! (Pesky tree in the way?)

2. Be able to wade (a bit... as deep as I'm comfortable with!) ;)
    The 'crease' in the door is about 32" from the ground, so that's deep enough?!
    The "wading wall" behind the seats is the same height as the top of the half doors

3. Still resemble a Jimny at the end for licencing, MOT and legal reasons
     ("Good afternoon constable") :ohmy:

4. Still be safe... The side protection bars are still in place in the doors, and..
     The tops are capped with half a 4" x 2" box section seam welded in...
     And there's the JimnyBits sidebars below too...

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Feb 2021 22:49 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, Riccy

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Feb 2021 05:45 #232914 by Lambert
Love your tea cup! Good work mate very tidy!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
18 Feb 2021 10:55 #232927 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Love your tea cup! Good work mate very tidy!

Oh heck... I'll have to remove any offending photos with that yellow mug in... I'm supposed to use my own Jimny mug to take out to the garage, as the wife's good mugs tend to get sprayed and embedded with metal filings from the angle grinder! :lol: :woohoo:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Feb 2021 12:33 #232937 by Lambert
I would post a picture of my mug but it makes Guy Martin's look like it's been cleaned regularly!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Feb 2021 13:52 #232942 by mlines
Dave,

Postman has just been with a gift from ZookBob (Purveyors of Fine Wine)!  Many thanks, cheers, hic!

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
18 Feb 2021 13:53 #232943 by X8GGY
NOOOooo... Thank YOU for your assistance yesterday... much appreciated!

Enjoy ;)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
24 Feb 2021 17:25 #233231 by X8GGY
Yesterday, Tuesday, I had a couple of hours off...

Replaced the faulty engine battery isolator switch.

#

And then took my trysty battery chainsaw to pieces to fix it after lending it to a frien, who accidently bent the pin on the chain tensioner (under the red twisty knob)...

All back together... and surprisingly the battery was still chardged?!

So I tested it on a 4" x 4" offcut B)

And then stored it behind the driver's seat... ;)

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds