BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
11 Sep 2019 15:45 #213413 by X8GGY
Thanks Riccy ;) Picked up a new welding helmet today with some bits I needed from Screwfix :)

Optician can't do much at the moment... the eye hospital have advised me ot to get new glasses for a while whilst my eyes are settling down and hopefully improving with the 4 weekly injections... Yikes! :blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
11 Sep 2019 16:05 #213414 by X8GGY
Bit more today...

The transfer box is back in! :woohoo:

And all the props are back in place too...

So I then turned my attention to the breathers... You'll remember both axles were tapped and elbows fitted, and the transfer box recently...

So the only one left to do was the gearbox... with this being a soft-top I already knew what I was looking for as S200KYS is / was also a soft-top... on the passenger / nearside of the gearbox you should be just about able to see the stock factory breather with this little cap on it...

It's quite snug but I could just about get both hands up to squeeze a (8mm OD) breather tube into the existing rubber hose on the breather...

Tubes were then connected from all the elbows and separately run up to...

A five-way manifold block on the engine firewall ;)

So the one on the left goes to the rear axle, the three pointing down go to the front axle, gearbox, and transfer box, and the one on the right will go to the highest position possible, in my case, usually up into the top of the snorkel's head :)

SO.... that's it! All the crawling around under the donor Jimny is complete! B) the front and rear axles have both been rebuilt, the steering bars strengthened and renewed, and the sspension redone and lifted ~2", and the transfer box has been slung in a cradle for protection... oooh, and the diffs have been swapped for later 4.3:1 VVT model ones and a rear "Lockright" (Lunch Box) fitted along with Trail Gear rear shafts...

So the rest of the project is fashioning into looking more like my buggy inspirational pictures...

More on that at a later date, I'm disappearing into the garage for the winter ;)
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Oct 2019 17:48 - 06 Oct 2019 18:01 #214379 by X8GGY
Sorry! :( Not been around much lately... staff holidays, lack of free time, etc., etc...

Some progress though -

Front inner wings / clip have all been removed
Bonnet has been trimmed to shape
Doors have been cut down to 'buggy style'
Metal has been ordered to fill everything back in...

I decided in the end - with grateful input from Riccy :) = to leave the doors functional, they will still open rather than being welded up - as Alan and I are both old scrotes these days, and throwing ourselves through a small gap isn't the best idea! LOL :lol: so the 'half doors' are to mimic the inspirational yellow buggy, still give enough wading depth, retain the excellent sized door mirrors. and also protect us from side impacts... and will make on-going registration and MOTs, etc, easier too...

More soon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Oct 2019 18:01 by X8GGY.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2019 18:19 #214380 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Looking really good Dave look forward to seeing more ;) doors look great but you will have to stay clear of those scratchy lanes :D

More
06 Oct 2019 19:20 #214381 by jackonlyjack
looking good matey
have you considered having all the front end hinged
so you can lift it all forwards ;)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Oct 2019 04:17 #214391 by Lambert
Looking like it's going to be a real weapon when you are finished. Good work as ever.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Oct 2019 16:52 #214430 by Riccy
This is going to look AWESOME! B)

JackonlyJack's suggestion of front hinging would be cool as well. Maybe just the bonnet tho, the whole body would be a lot of work!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
08 Oct 2019 16:06 #214481 by Me and my Jimny
Great work Dave, its been said before, but it really is impressive what you get done yourself, and quickly too.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product...

... Maybe at the 2020 big Jimny meet

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
08 Oct 2019 19:41 - 08 Oct 2019 19:48 #214490 by X8GGY
Thanks All! B)

After cutting the doors, and trimming the back of the cab to shape on Sunday, I measured the voids in the door carcasses and the back lower part of the rear of the body and found they were indeed 4" / 100mm, so on Monday I ordered some 4"x2" box, that will get cut into 4"x1" U sections to cap the doors and fill the back of the cab in, that's supposed to arrive Thursday, so may be Sunday's job...

I also ordered some CDS "Cold Drawn Steel" tube, seamless rollcage tube to you and I, but for another purpose, which I measured and mocked up today -

You mat remember earlier in the thread that the buggy is havig a rear mounted winch inspired by one I'd seen on the ORA (OffRoad Armoury) Jimny buggy some years ago... I've recently added the Warn 8274 huge fairlead to the back, this will be used to winch backwards if needed by pulling a loop off the drum and using a snatch block within the loop, but normally the winch will be used to winch forwards through the seamless tube...

So I used a spirit level on the chassis rail to work out where the tube needed to come through the firewall and used a 43mm holesaw (the seamless tube I'm using is 42mm OD) to cut through... the mockup is using plastic waste pipe until the real tube arrives ;) , the donut fairlead is supported by a marker pen just for the photo!

Inside the passenger footwell...

And back under where the passenger seat will be, currently supported by a brick so make it level so that...

... I can pop the seat back in and check it clears the tube...

"Perfect"...
But...

A bit in the way of the passenger's legroom?
A necessary evil though! :lol:

So there only needs to be two bends at the end of the run where the tube comes under the passenger seat and needs to rise up to meet the second donut fairlead behind the winch (in the first photo)... it's a bit of a steep angle so I may end up cutting through the rear of the cab where you can see the indentation on the top left of the fuel tank? (above the tape measure in the photo! :lol: )...

The bucket seats will need fitting to the existing Jimny seat runners too, so I'll do that too to make sure they clearence enough for the tube too...
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2019 19:48 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2019 04:11 #214495 by Lambert
If I were ever to want a winch it would be mounted similar to that. Super cool!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2019 07:26 #214502 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Dave,

are you not tempted to put a couple of gentle sweeping bends into the tube in order to improve passenger legroom?

I do have slight reservations that the pipe may cause problems if you're ever in a front and rear collision, as it may telegraph in the interior? perhaps not.

Irrespective of my ramblings, the work looks fantastic.

Paul.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
09 Oct 2019 16:56 - 09 Oct 2019 16:57 #214517 by X8GGY
Hi Paul ;)

I'm trying to keep the winch rope tube as straight as possible... just out of the garage after a full day out there, walked the dogs and had a shower and now back to the shop... I'll post an update later ;)

Dave B)
Last edit: 09 Oct 2019 16:57 by X8GGY.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds