BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

More
05 Dec 2020 23:09 #230705 by Dirtbird
I thought green Laning was like a leisurely spin on some back roads looks like your getting ready crackers and mad max.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Dec 2020 08:47 - 06 Dec 2020 08:52 #230709 by X8GGY

Dirtbird wrote: I thought green Laning was like a leisurely spin on some back roads looks like your getting ready crackers and mad max.

Ah, yes, but if we go back to the very first post in this build thread -

"Ok, some history first, I've attempted to build a buggy five times, and always given up due to lack of time and.or funds. I've asked Father Christmas for a Polaris RZR buggy for the last few years, but apparently he can't afford one. And lastly, I've drooled over the Ford EX Concept vehicle for many years too -

And recenty I found this Brazilian buggy, more of an ATV size but more of what I was thinking of in terms of inspiration...

So, last year I started looking for a cheap soft-top to be a winter project to try and create a buggy inspired by the above two photos, but more for the British climate, so retaining the windscreen and front soft-top roof section for some protection from showers...

So the idea has always been to have something inspired by the above two buggys. mixed with a Polaris RZR and using a Suzuki Jimny for simplicity and my knowledge of working on them (Suzukis that is, as I'm a fairly recent convert from Vitaras to Jimnys). So they are easier to work on and spares are more readily available. And as my mate Gary (Wrench) pointed out years ago, "you'll get more ground clearance out of a Jimny"... (than a Polaris RZR)

Underneath there it's quite a basic Jimny, I've rebuilt and replaced nearly everything, but it's almost standard suspension albeit with a 1.5" lift, new poly bushes everywhere and every guard available in the JimnyBits catalogue! The transmission is fairly standard (at the moment!) with just HD rear shafts and a locker in the back. The diffs have been changed to regear for the bigger tyres, which gives most of the lift.

So it's built for some nice weather days greenlaning, fun in the sun, but yes, some of the 'lanes we drive are indeed "T&S" Tight & Scratchy, so hence the guards, and windscreen / body protection with the tube work and tree wires, and not forgetting the mirror guards! :woohoo:

(I have always liked the Mad Max films though! :laugh: I believe there's a new one on the way!)

Dave ;) ... off out to the garage to paint the body tub! B)
Last edit: 06 Dec 2020 08:52 by X8GGY.

More
06 Dec 2020 08:57 #230710 by mlines
Looking to book the BigJimny meet for 2021this week as Dave finishing a buggy must be worth a party!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Lambert

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Dec 2020 17:06 #230719 by X8GGY

mlines wrote: Looking to book the BigJimny meet for 2021this week as Dave finishing a buggy must be worth a party!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

:laugh: Yup, after five failed buggy projects... this one is going to get finished and see some 'lanes...

... and the BigJimny Meet 2021 of course! :woohoo:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Dec 2020 17:10 #230720 by X8GGY
All day in the garage today painting the body tub...

Plenty of photos, but no blurb today, I think they speak for them selves... ;)

Right... going for a beer in the shower :woohoo:

Dave ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, furo, Riccy

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Dec 2020 17:36 #230721 by Lambert
Looking really good now mate!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
06 Dec 2020 17:53 #230722 by Soeley
Can't wait to see it al finished.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Dec 2020 18:05 - 06 Dec 2020 18:10 #230723 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Looking really good now mate!

Amazing what a lick of paint can do ;)

Soeley wrote: Can't wait to see it al finished.

Me too! :woohoo:
Need to paint the area between the windscreen and bonnet black this week, and then phone the windscreen guys to come back..

Meanwhile I can start reassembling the lorry wheel arches, lights, etc... but not the snorkel as that might get in their way a bit! ;)
Last edit: 06 Dec 2020 18:10 by X8GGY.

More
06 Dec 2020 21:03 #230724 by Dirtbird
That would be something to aim for Jimny meet followed by Safari Scotland. Thank frog this Virus’s nearly over.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
08 Dec 2020 11:01 #230750 by mlines
Deadline now set - see top of forum page!

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
08 Dec 2020 12:44 #230756 by maverick
Bugger - I'm on a driving holiday in Europe on 21st June 2021

Jalapeño, IISY?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
09 Dec 2020 10:54 #230785 by X8GGY
Sorry! Not been on for a couple of days and missed this... it's getting busy in the shop and Post Office with Christmas fast approaching...

:woohoo: Great, date marked on calendar and confirmed with the boss... Damn shame my partner in grime is away that date :(

No work on the buggy today, I'm actually having the day off! Walked the dogs and a bacon butty so far, just about to start on Operation Christmas! Wrap everything and post cards and presents off...

Back to the Buggy on Sunday then! ;)

See some of you in June then! B)

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds