BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2020 16:51 #230605 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Gets a like from me Dave.........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2020 16:58 #230606 by maverick
Looks like it'll be ready very soon (IISY)

Jalapeño, IISY?
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
02 Dec 2020 18:10 #230610 by Riccy
I love this bit of a build. It all starts to come together B)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
02 Dec 2020 21:46 - 02 Dec 2020 21:49 #230616 by X8GGY

Paul_sterling wrote: Gets a like from me Dave.........

Thanks Paul ;)

maverick wrote: Looks like it'll be ready very soon (IISY)

Riccy wrote: I love this bit of a build. It all starts to come together B)

Ypu'd think so, but then, back in the shop from six 'til eight tonight, I wrote a list of jobs outstanding! :(

So, Sunday - paint the whole body tub blue inside and out, then my list reads ("in no particular order" apart from my brain) -

'Tar' painting - round the sills and the back of the body tub (around the bottom of the fuel tank area)
Fix Wiper Motor Wires - I caught them with the angle grinder :(
Fit the Snorkel and finish the convoluted hose to the air filter box
Fit Mirror Guards - ten minute job, just stainless bolts into the riv-nuts
Fix & Fit Seats - the driver's slides but doesn't lock, I've got my spare bucket seat in the shed to steal bits
Door Pull Handles - 'just' need bars mounting on the inner door skin to attach the plastic handles to, in the...
Door Cards - I have a cardboard template ready to check and then cut and fold the aluminium chequer plate
Re-fit Bonnet Vents / Pie-Box - Just need bolting into the bonnet when it's had it's final coat of paint
Re-fit Seat Belts / Tidy Apertures - I still have the internal plastics and hope to butcher them to fit
Brake Pipes Front - as the wings have been removed the front copper brake lines need tidying and terminating
Oil in Diiffs . Transfer Box - no explanation needed!
Windscreen - just need to book them and pay for a new windscreen to be fitted after body tub is painted
Wiper Arms - should have had them on the black paint list!
Door / Panel edging - just some rubber push-fit edging to tidy the door aperture edges, ordered...
Replace -
Radiator - got
Belts - got
Plugs - got
Clutch - got, may have to pay labour to fit it (bearing is noisy, so figured replace it!)
Wiring -
Rear Lights - got Samurai lights and guards to fit in the boxes that have been formed on the rear
Fog light - got an LED light to fit under the right hand Samurai light
High Level Brake Light - got another LED light to go on the bracket on the 'halo hoop'
JCB Headlights - bolt-on, but have to get round the weird Jimny electrics* Note below
Light Bar - wired via a relay to come on with main beam
Side Repeaters - plug in, but they've been relocated to the edge of the re-shaped bonnet
Reversing Alarm? - might fit one during the wiring (switched for sensitive areas)
Eneine Battery / Switch - the cables are there, just need wiring via a cutoff switch
Battery Earth - cable is there, also needs bolting to the body too
Windscreen Washer - should be lug in if the wiring is still there?! LOL
Storage -
Behind Seats - need to fit in tools and spares somewhere? Tow rope / strop?
To the right of the rope tube - in the front passenger footwell, there is some space available there?
(Need to store personal stuff somewhere too - meds for me, food, spare clothes?...!)
Dash -
Stereo ? - not sure if we'll be able to hear it anyway? Speakers in the recycled rear plastic panels too?
iPad Mount - need my trusty GPS Memory Mapping in there!
CB Mount - I plan on using my handheld with an earpiece / microphone, need somewhere to mount it...

MOT
Registration
Insurance
Plate Change - need to transfer X 8GGY on to it...
Shakedown - a couple of local trips to test it...

LANING!
So, some stuff to keep me busy through the cold winter months, secreted in the garage ;)

:woohoo:
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2020 21:49 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
02 Dec 2020 21:55 - 02 Dec 2020 21:57 #230617 by X8GGY
Headlights...

As the Jimny has weird negative switching headlight wiring I have bought a "kit-car" switch which will give me off / side / main with new wiring (via a fuse of course), and high beam will still be triggered by the original wiring and indicator stalk using an earth switched relay as done a few times in the past...

The LED light bar in it's pod on the bonnet will also work on the high beam relay, but will have an isolating switch to turn it off coming on with high-beam for road use and the MOT of course ;)
Last edit: 02 Dec 2020 21:57 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Dec 2020 05:00 #230622 by Lambert
It's one of those things though, you make a list and it looks daunting but in reality much of that is 10 and 15 minute jobs so not actually all that bad to do.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
03 Dec 2020 05:43 #230624 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: It's one of those things though, you make a list and it looks daunting but in reality much of that is 10 and 15 minute jobs so not actually all that bad to do.

Exactly! :woohoo:

Crack on! IISY ? ;)

Dave

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
03 Dec 2020 22:23 - 03 Dec 2020 22:39 #230643 by X8GGY
For once, I had a fiddle after work tonight...

(Re-)Fitted the Pie-Pot*, the (Keithy-built) bonnet vents and the five inserts in the front, now that I'm as happy as I can be with the finish of the bonnet...Considering it's been cut and reshaped and a oval tube section welded into both sides to form a new edge, by a complete amateur... it doesn't look too bad! ;)

*If you haven't seen the "Pie-Pot" in this build thread before, it's a bain-marie pot of the right size to hang down from the bonnet lid above the exhaust header, and has enough room to fit a couple of pies or pasties in, it's taken inspiration from the American Buritto-Box but is accessible from the outside of the vehicle without having to lift the bonnet... The idea is at the start of the days greenlaning you pop a couple of pies / pasties in (wrapped in foil) and then after a few hours driving and enjoying the views of the countryside you "stop for lunch" and retrieve a nice warm pie! B)

Looking the other way... you can see the hole for the side repeater in the edge of the bonnet, and the wing-nuts holding the Pie-Pot lid on :laugh:
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Dec 2020 22:39 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, Lambert

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
04 Dec 2020 12:08 - 04 Dec 2020 12:09 #230652 by X8GGY
Waiting for our delivery, so I sloped off for a bit... as you do! ;)

And drilled and self-tap screwed the slightly modified (bent to suit the curvature of the bonnet edge) JimnyBits side repeater guards...

The repeaters will also be protected by the wings when they are back on, and the tree wires when they are in place...

So that's the front coming together too! B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Dec 2020 12:09 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy, Scimike, Soeley

More
04 Dec 2020 13:32 #230653 by Scimike
Super work, love to read this, thanks for taking the time to update.
Can't wait to see it in real life one day. Pie warmer best and most essential bit by far.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
04 Dec 2020 18:53 #230661 by Soeley
Coming together nicely now B)

More
05 Dec 2020 23:05 #230704 by Dirtbird

X8GGY wrote:

Paul_sterling wrote: Gets a like from me Dave.........

Thanks Paul ;)

maverick wrote: Looks like it'll be ready very soon (IISY)

Riccy wrote: I love this bit of a build. It all starts to come together B)

My list
1 Go to bed early to night stop surfing Jimny
2 wake up make list

Your some detail Dave.
Ypu'd think so, but then, back in the shop from six 'til eight tonight, I wrote a list of jobs outstanding! :(

So, Sunday - paint the whole body tub blue inside and out, then my list reads ("in no particular order" apart from my brain) -

'Tar' painting - round the sills and the back of the body tub (around the bottom of the fuel tank area)
Fix Wiper Motor Wires - I caught them with the angle grinder :(
Fit the Snorkel and finish the convoluted hose to the air filter box
Fit Mirror Guards - ten minute job, just stainless bolts into the riv-nuts
Fix & Fit Seats - the driver's slides but doesn't lock, I've got my spare bucket seat in the shed to steal bits
Door Pull Handles - 'just' need bars mounting on the inner door skin to attach the plastic handles to, in the...
Door Cards - I have a cardboard template ready to check and then cut and fold the aluminium chequer plate
Re-fit Bonnet Vents / Pie-Box - Just need bolting into the bonnet when it's had it's final coat of paint
Re-fit Seat Belts / Tidy Apertures - I still have the internal plastics and hope to butcher them to fit
Brake Pipes Front - as the wings have been removed the front copper brake lines need tidying and terminating
Oil in Diiffs . Transfer Box - no explanation needed!
Windscreen - just need to book them and pay for a new windscreen to be fitted after body tub is painted
Wiper Arms - should have had them on the black paint list!
Door / Panel edging - just some rubber push-fit edging to tidy the door aperture edges, ordered...
Replace -
Radiator - got
Belts - got
Plugs - got
Clutch - got, may have to pay labour to fit it (bearing is noisy, so figured replace it!)
Wiring -
Rear Lights - got Samurai lights and guards to fit in the boxes that have been formed on the rear
Fog light - got an LED light to fit under the right hand Samurai light
High Level Brake Light - got another LED light to go on the bracket on the 'halo hoop'
JCB Headlights - bolt-on, but have to get round the weird Jimny electrics* Note below
Light Bar - wired via a relay to come on with main beam
Side Repeaters - plug in, but they've been relocated to the edge of the re-shaped bonnet
Reversing Alarm? - might fit one during the wiring (switched for sensitive areas)
Eneine Battery / Switch - the cables are there, just need wiring via a cutoff switch
Battery Earth - cable is there, also needs bolting to the body too
Windscreen Washer - should be lug in if the wiring is still there?! LOL
Storage -
Behind Seats - need to fit in tools and spares somewhere? Tow rope / strop?
To the right of the rope tube - in the front passenger footwell, there is some space available there?
(Need to store personal stuff somewhere too - meds for me, food, spare clothes?...!)
Dash -
Stereo ? - not sure if we'll be able to hear it anyway? Speakers in the recycled rear plastic panels too?
iPad Mount - need my trusty GPS Memory Mapping in there!
CB Mount - I plan on using my handheld with an earpiece / microphone, need somewhere to mount it...

MOT
Registration
Insurance
Plate Change - need to transfer X 8GGY on to it...
Shakedown - a couple of local trips to test it...

LANING!
So, some stuff to keep me busy through the cold winter months, secreted in the garage ;)

:woohoo:

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds