BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
29 Nov 2020 16:23 #230502 by X8GGY
Just back in from the garage having given everything I painted the other day a second coat, hopefully that might do it, I'm hoping all the yellow tube work won't need a third coat! :unsure: So hopefully it will be on to the main body tub next time (Wednesday?).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2020 19:23 #230513 by Dirtbird
OK, Dave got you. Been thinking about scrapping the vacuum and going free wheeling hubs. But the list just keeps getting longer and longer.
Thanks Dave

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
30 Nov 2020 08:32 #230519 by X8GGY
Popped into the garage on the way to work this morning ( :woohoo: next door!) and the second coat of yellow agricultural enamel paint has taken well B) just a couple of internal corners etc that need a little extra... and the second coat on the bonnet looks great too!

Chuffed as a train... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
30 Nov 2020 21:12 #230535 by Dirtbird
Photos

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
01 Dec 2020 06:58 - 01 Dec 2020 07:06 #230543 by X8GGY
Some spy shots then...

I'm particularly happy with this joint where the eliptical diagonal tube joins the top of the rear hoop that forms the back... you just want to run your hand over it... B)

Wing top and bonnet edge with the "bent box" under it... nice lines! B)

And the back of the "halo hoop", with the fairlead hoop at the back if I need to run the winch rop up through it (to self-right the buggy, etc)

The smaller tubes are to protect the soft-top roof when it's open and folded back ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Dec 2020 07:06 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, furo, Riccy, Soeley

More
01 Dec 2020 07:28 #230545 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Looking Boogie GOOD
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
01 Dec 2020 16:27 #230559 by X8GGY
A few hours off this afternoon, so I've been around all the yellow bits again having a final touch-up...

Gave the bonnet a third coat, one more should do it when I'm on to the body tub... the bonnet is one of the focal points of the buggy so it has to be as good as I can make it, as your eye will be drawn there... errr, when they relax after the shock of the Yella! :woohoo:

Black bits tomorrow, so I wrote a whole list of all the things that need doing black on the garage whiteboard.

Then finally on to the body tub on Sunday I think...

Then 'tar' the sills and the bottom edge of the body tub and then re-assemble everything I've taken off for the painting...

More
01 Dec 2020 17:04 #230561 by maverick
I still think the Blue and Yellow (the frame etc look like the Swedish flag) - looking good as well ... are we getting Blue and Yellow trim on the rims :-)

Jalapeño, IISY?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Dec 2020 19:41 #230569 by Lambert
Ooh ooh quartered blue and yellow wheels! Yes that's a brilliant idea. Go on Dave, I dare you!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
01 Dec 2020 21:31 #230571 by X8GGY
Do you want the doors to fall off in a cloud of smoke as a finale...?

Pfft, clowning around! :evil:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
02 Dec 2020 09:17 - 02 Dec 2020 09:19 #230582 by X8GGY
Today's black-list :

The transfer stick has had a 12mm metric fine thread welded to the top to take my "4" pool ball ;)

Repeater guards as I've bent them to go around the edge of the bonnet
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2020 09:19 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
02 Dec 2020 16:43 #230604 by X8GGY
More today... but no "clown wheels" sorry Lambert / Maverick :P

Started by doing the black-list -

The inner tops of the front wheel arches, that's the bit that will be seen behind the front lorry wheel arches, the box section door jam will be blue, and into the A-pillar, so that the "body" is blue, and the tubular additions are yellow...The big clamp is waiting for the snorkel tube to go back on, when the body is blue ;)

The JimnyBits side repeater guards repainted after being bent to suit so that they will sit on the bonnet's edge (as there's no wings to attach them too! :laugh: ) and the transfer stick surround black to match the bed-liner'ed floor.

The soft-top frame given a lick of paint too, also shows the smaller bars mentioned in my last post, these are to send branches over the unfolded roof (if we get any nice weather!)

The transfer stick repainted too after welding a thread to the top to take my old pool balls (the guy who bought my previous Jimny didn't like them?! So I sourced him some original replacements and had my balls back - '5' for the gearstick and '4' for the transfer stick)

The faux Jerry Can's cut edges were painted red with a kiddies paint brush... (that's to hide / store my tree strop in so that it's adjacent to the winch)

And that was all the black painting done...

So I did some reassembly! I first cut and applied a reflective strip along the bottom edge of the rear frame... then the rear recovery tow points went back on the chassis, and the massive fairlead and snatch block back in their places too...

Then the winch was re-bolted down, the ground anchor and it's mounts reinstated. and the waffle boards back in their holder... just need to paint the back of the "wading wall"* blue and then the spare wheel and it's strap can go back on too! B)

* the low wall at the back of the cab, it's the same height as the top of the half-doors, so that the buggy is suitable for British weather, and fording rivers and streams, hence the "wading wall"... to stop water entering the cab.

Getting the (flange) nut (impossible to get a washer on under there!) took me a good fifteen minutes! :( The ground anchor's spade mount is sat on top of the winch tray frame and right above the chassis rail, so I used a flange nut as it sat nicely in a ring spanner as I fiddled around trying to get the bolt into it, and then removed the ring spanner before tightening it up as that would have trapped the spanner in place! All good fun! :silly: A cup of tea helped! ;)

So all ready for a good day's painting the body tub blue on Sunday then... 'til then! :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, Lambert, furo

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds