BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
22 Nov 2020 20:33 - 22 Nov 2020 20:37 #230299 by X8GGY
Yes, my right arm hasn't been that sore since I was about seventeen! ;) :lol: :woohoo:

Should be durable as it's pickup bedliner... It'll have some deep "mud" mats over the top as well though... ;)
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 20:37 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
25 Nov 2020 15:12 #230389 by X8GGY
WooHoo! :woohoo: Started painting today!

All the stuff is here... Paint, (Radiator) Rollers, Brushes, Tea... :laugh:

Painted all the tube work with a brush (five hours!), first coat, in JCB Yellow Agricutural Enamel Paint, and then brushed the awkward bits and then rollered the rest of the re-shaped bonnet in Hammerite Smooth Blue...

More of the tube work...

View from the rear! The whole of what's left of the Jimny cab will also be Blue...

Let that all dry now, and a second coat on Sunday... B)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, furo, Riccy, Soeley

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Nov 2020 16:11 #230392 by Lambert
Love the yellow! That blue reminds me of my first polo when I first got mobile at 17.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Nov 2020 16:27 #230393 by Dirtbird

X8GGY wrote: Back to the buggy today... after first fixing the Gold daily driver (replacement panhard rod bolt for the MOT retest) and S200KYS (new JimnyBits front panhard rod fitted to go with the re-affixed panhard bracket! :ohmy:

Front axle casing ready to go back under... freshly painted (a few weeks ago!), JimnyBits front shock guards, SuperPro poly bushes, breather elbow tapped and fitted, shocks are Monrow Adventure Grand Vitara rears which are +1.5" over Jimny ones...

Radius arms reattached, with JimnyBits guards...

Front suspension fitted... fresh new standard front springs with spring spacers on top, bump stop spacers and poly bump cones, Monroe shocks as previously mentioned... and SuperPro castor correction bushes set to push the axle forward rather than re-align it..

All in place with a JimnyBits front adjustable panhard rod...

Next step will be the transmission, so a later VVT diff is painted and ready to go in to adjust the gearing for the bigger tyres - 4.3 rather than 3.9's, new bearings and seals everywhere, and get the wheels and tyres back on... push it out to get the feel of it, where to cut the front body panels off ;) etc, and tidy the garage and push it back in again...

Transfer box then needs to come out and get armoured, new brackets and a bucket...

And then spend the winter fettling it into a buggy shape B)

Dave hey hows it going. Dave reading the build again and I see you mixed and matched the polybushes orange and blues is this something you found over the years works and keeps the budget reasonable?

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
25 Nov 2020 16:52 #230394 by X8GGY

Dirtbird wrote: Dave hey hows it going. Dave reading the build again and I see you mixed and matched the polybushes orange and blues is this something you found over the years works and keeps the budget reasonable?

Hi! On this build the radius arm bushes are all blue "SuperPro", as they were some I had left in stock from the days of Bits4Vits... The panhard bushes are "Poly Bush" brand that came with the adjustable / HD panhards from jimnyBits...

I have no problem with mixing different brands of Poly Bushes... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
25 Nov 2020 16:54 - 25 Nov 2020 16:57 #230395 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Love the yellow! That blue reminds me of my first polo when I first got mobile at 17.

Chris (GustheGorilla on here) pointed out on facebook that the colours are the same as the Ukrainian Flag? Intrigued, I googled it...

Blimey! :blink: There's a coincidence!!! :woohoo:

;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Nov 2020 16:57 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
26 Nov 2020 09:00 #230411 by LM42
Replied by LM42 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Looks amazing so far!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
27 Nov 2020 00:26 - 27 Nov 2020 00:27 #230427 by Dirtbird
Dave why didn’t you reinforce the axels. Just asking.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2020 00:27 by Dirtbird.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 Nov 2020 08:11 - 27 Nov 2020 08:12 #230428 by X8GGY

Lesmondo wrote: Looks amazing so far!

Thanks Les'... Yes, it's starting to look like the image I have had in my tiny warped mind for ages...!;)

Dirtbird wrote: Dave why didn’t you reinforce the axels. Just asking.

I thought about it... I even bought the gussets from JimnyBits... but then, I've been offroading Suzukis (Vitaras before I "upgraded" to the Jimny) for nigh on 30 years now, and I've never managed to bend / break an axle casing yet!... And I don't drive as hard as I used to (no pay'n'play these days), just concentrating on some gentle (!) scenic greenlaning these days...

So I didn't think the Boogie needed it, and recently sold the gussets on on eBay...

Dave ;)
Last edit: 27 Nov 2020 08:12 by X8GGY.

More
27 Nov 2020 21:30 #230444 by Dirtbird
Ok that’s good enough for me thanks man . J

More
29 Nov 2020 12:00 - 29 Nov 2020 12:01 #230496 by Dirtbird

Dirtbird wrote:

X8GGY wrote: Back to the buggy today... after first fixing the Gold daily driver (replacement panhard rod bolt for the MOT retest) and S200KYS (new JimnyBits front panhard rod fitted to go with the re-affixed panhard bracket! :ohmy:

Front axle casing ready to go back under... freshly painted (a few weeks ago!), JimnyBits front shock guards, SuperPro poly bushes, breather elbow tapped and fitted, shocks are Monrow Adventure Grand Vitara rears which are +1.5" over Jimny ones...

Radius arms reattached, with JimnyBits guards...

Front suspension fitted... fresh new standard front springs with spring spacers on top, bump stop spacers and poly bump cones, Monroe shocks as previously mentioned... and SuperPro castor correction bushes set to push the axle forward rather than re-align it..

All in place with a JimnyBits front adjustable panhard rod...

Next step will be the transmission, so a later VVT diff is painted and ready to go in to adjust the gearing for the bigger tyres - 4.3 rather than 3.9's, new bearings and seals everywhere, and get the wheels and tyres back on... push it out to get the feel of it, where to cut the front body panels off ;) etc, and tidy the garage and push it back in again...

Transfer box then needs to come out and get armoured, new brackets and a bucket...

And then spend the winter fettling it into a buggy shape B)

Dave hey hows it going. Dave reading the build again and I see you mixed and matched the polybushes orange and blues is this something you found over the years works and keeps the budget reasonable?

Dave, I'm taking out my axle as well. I'm at the stage where I need to unbolt the prop shaft and the hoses. What's the best way to disconnect the vacuum hoses, speedo sensors and all the other stuff riding on the axle.

Last edit: 29 Nov 2020 12:01 by Dirtbird.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
29 Nov 2020 16:20 #230501 by X8GGY

Dirtbird wrote: Dave, I'm taking out my axle as well. I'm at the stage where I need to unbolt the prop shaft and the hoses. What's the best way to disconnect the vacuum hoses, speedo sensors and all the other stuff riding on the axle.

Hi! Best way?... Hmmm, carefully! ;)

I wasn't using the vacuum hoses as I wanted to do away with the unreliability of them, so they just got pulled off an thrown away... This is an early (1999 from memory) Jimny so there's no ABS to contend with, but on my previous Jimny build they need removing carefully as the little bolts that hold them in place often shear :(

If you are re-using the vacuum hoses I'd label where they came from so that you get them back in the right places ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds