BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

More
28 Feb 2020 07:59 #219180 by sniper
Jimny flash mob..... that would be funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2020 14:12 #219186 by safari
will it have number plates with all those mods

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Feb 2020 20:20 - 28 Feb 2020 20:21 #219198 by X8GGY

safari wrote: will it have number plates with all those mods

I hope so!

I've fallen foul of the DVLA and VOSA when I built "Stumpy" the Grand Vitara years ago -

So I vowed to never alter a chassis again, so the buggy should qualify the same as a kit=car as only the body has changed a little...? ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Feb 2020 20:21 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Feb 2020 20:22 #219199 by X8GGY

sniper wrote: Jimny flash mob..... that would be funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sniper

Now that would be great :lol:

:woohoo:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
11 Mar 2020 17:26 - 11 Mar 2020 17:31 #219734 by X8GGY
Back to it today... not got much done in the last week as our youngest daughter flew to Malta (for seven months :( ) last Wednesday (my day off in the week usually) and the wife went to wave her off with her sister, and then the wife was away in EuroDisney from Thursday to Monday with a youth choir she chaperones for... but, as said, back to it today...

I began by making a gusset plate for the top of the roof hoop on the passenger (Alan's) side ;)

And having drawn around all the fixing points I ground them back to shiny metal, and then re-assembled for the last time, ready for welding...

Notice the flat bar welded to the 'main' crossbar?...

You can just about see it there... that's to line up the other crossbar after I've cut in in half...

I marked the centre line, and then the start and end of the 'fishmouth' cut...

There on the bench you can see it better, just a flat triangle cut to start it off...

Like that...

So that roughly fits around the 'main' crossbar, and then attack it with a grinding disk...

So that we get a nice join like this B)

And then bring in the other half again, and mark that up...

Repeat the fishmouth cutting and grind, et-voila!

And we have our X crossbrace in place!

And during assembly the gusset plates are squeezed into position...

All ready for welding, probably on Sunday...

The other side (Alan's) with the gusset plate in place...

So the thicker tube of the 'X' butts up to the gusset place, and the smaller seamless tube is then hammered through the hole in the roof / hoop of the body into the bigger tube as it just passes through the hole in the gusset plate, I've also drilled four holes in the tops of the crossbars to puddle weld through to the smaller tube inside... once it's all welded up it should be super strong, and brace the weakened body due to back half being removed... ;)

From the top you get the idea?... the bits protruding through are to hold / join to the tree scraper bars that will go around the roofline of the buggy, and also protect the front section of the soft-top, just like my previous blue Jimny previously known as S200KYS...

I had sketched up the roofline bars like this -

To get a quote for them bent up for me, but it proved to be too expensive (for a budget 'laning fun buggy) so I'm going to have to rethink it... Which I did after finishing today, I stood back with a cuppa and planned it all in my mind, and will come back to that one...

I also mocked up the back of the buggy when the X-brace was in place, but I've run out of time now, I need to have a shower and get back to the shop, so I'll post all the other photos later tonight...
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2020 17:31 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Mar 2020 17:50 #219735 by Lambert
Yet more good work that man! I think you should knock through into the shop and do these professionally! :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Mar 2020 22:10 #219741 by Max Headroom
Brilliant!

Thank you!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
11 Mar 2020 22:25 #219742 by X8GGY
So, after prepping the crossbrace, I decided to mock-up the back of the buggy...

The rear hoop had just turned up from a seller on eBay, you can probably guess who ;) , so I hole-sawed into the right-hand (driver;s) side of the rear of the cab infill, and inserted the end of the hoop, and propped up the other end on a Royal Mail box!

I then cut the waffle boards to size - they're now 33" x 10.5" - to fit in the back, they'll be some racks for these soon, and the offcuts were used to make two 10.5" squares for the left side to fill it in matching, these can be used for hi-lift jack spreader plates, but are mostly there to make the two sides match, as the clutch of the winch is in the way of having a full length waffle board there...

The box section behind the spare wheel will actually fit inside the back of the cab when it's finished and be sheeted over, so that the buggy ends up with a little wall at the back of the cab, so that it can wade to around 33", rare we go deeper than the diameter of the tyres? Which are 30" on the buggy...

I also added the eleptical tube hoop 'stays' to the sides, these are meant to emulate the Ford EX concept car shown a few times in this build thread, and to also look like the original soft-top shape a little as well... They need fis-mouthing on to the top of the rear loop eventually too...

The rear wings will eventually sit under the rear loop and upto the waffle boards, with SJ / Samurai lights in the end of them (the wings / mudguards)

Inside the rear bed...

Note the position of the winch to the donut fairlead infront of it, and how the spare wheel sits inline with it, the idea of it - coming back to the drawing of the roofline hoops - was that there would be another small fairlead on the roof line behind the cab, in the pointy back bit of the loop, I could hen pull a loop off the front of the winch and up through this small fairlead to self-right the buggy, or support it if it got tippy, etc, but the cost of the custom bends was prohibitive...

Up here above the winch...

So, my thoughts now are to buy THREE basic hoops, made to my dimensions again -

So that two would make the roofline hoops, and I'll cut the third one up to get one big angle shape to add the triangulation to the back of the roofline for the top fairlead, and the other small angle will be used to...

... frame the fuel filler...

That;s the thinking at the moment anyways, as buying three hoops works out cheaper than the price for the custom tube work quoted earlier from my sketch...

More soon!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
11 Mar 2020 22:46 #219745 by Max Headroom
Fascinating - great read.

Thank you for all the posts and photos

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
11 Mar 2020 23:06 #219746 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
SURPASSING - and a great read

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Mar 2020 05:28 #219748 by Lambert
How much do you anticipate it will weigh once complete, lighter than the blue one obviously but as light as a factory car?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Mar 2020 05:41 - 12 Mar 2020 05:42 #219749 by X8GGY
A good question...

I'd guess it would weigh slightly more than a standard Jimny?

I'll weigh it when it's finished and compare...

Dave ;)
Last edit: 12 Mar 2020 05:42 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds