BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

More
22 Aug 2021 21:23 #237799 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Ulysses

Dave you are welcome, those old masks were in a well worn state, that should make things much better for you

Riccy while your at it .........Bump stops front and back, a clutch dosent have to be anything special ora kit something from  Blue Print would be fine,

Not sure if your asking me what to recommend there?

Here's what I have in Ulysses:
Front Bumps are Terrafirma air bumps with the old ones drilled out to fit them inside the springs
Rear bumps are originals with a 2" extension made from some left over scaffold tube
Clutch is an Exedy safari tuff from Martin

Hope that helps
Riccy yes spot on .

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
04 Sep 2021 15:26 #238214 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Bit of programmed maintenance today. 

Up on the ramps and set the rocklobster transfer box off draining the oil and remove the rear prop while there.

When I did the new gearset in the rocklobster box I noticed the rear prop had play in the UJs. I stuffed it full of grease and ordered some new UJs for it from Firow (the people who make the HD jimnybits props). Next day 2 shiny new sets arrived.

Much fighting to get the old C clips off and then it was nice and easy to swap and grease up the new ones. Only a small thing, but it needed doing.

While I was under there I measured up the UJs for the SJ intermediate prop and they are 25x64 size. Trawl on the internet found some for less than £8 each (and greaseable ones too), so they are ordered for another day. 

Laning on Sunday 12th around Shropshire to look forwards to 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Sep 2021 15:51 #238216 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Nothing worse than a none functional shaft!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
11 Sep 2021 15:04 #238471 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Pah! more problems. Today I was meant to be driving down to over night at Brett's house, before 'laning tomorrow. Set off and over a bump in the road. Lots of loud rattling & banging noises on any subsequent bumps. Pulled over and noticed the sills were sitting on the rockslider arms, look under and see that 3 of the 4 body mounts have pushed up into the body shell and are falling apart. Great 

Nearside rear:

front nearside:

front offside:

So thats going to be loads of fun to sort out. Not even sure how to get at them. Might need to chop the mount off the chassis to get in there, or chop the floor out from above maybe?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Sep 2021 15:12 #238473 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
That sucks. Might it be worth splitting the body and chassis?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Sep 2021 19:01 - 11 Sep 2021 21:07 #238481 by Dirtbird
Riccy agree with Lambert and a guy did a super write up about making new mounts www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...rtle?start=24#132601
Green Turtle did a super job. Will it ever end mate? Anyway, I'm sure your going to do a good write-up and fix it .

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2021 21:07 by Dirtbird.

More
11 Sep 2021 21:02 #238494 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Ulysses
Another vote for taking the body off. Once you dig into it you'll probably find a lot more rust and having the body and chassis separated will make it so much easier to work on.

By the way, if you want your repairs to last, cut out the old rot and replace rather than patching over it. If you patch over a hole, water gets in between the two panels and the repair rots out pretty quickly.

More
12 Sep 2021 07:52 #238506 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Sorry to see that rust has got hold so badly, your car gets more hours maintenance than most and still things catch you out.... Don't be disheartened mate, its fixable....

One other option could be to have a chat with Terry, he's got a truck cab in a container ready to go.... Told me £1500, I know it's a chunk of money but it is another choice if what you find is scary.... The shell is mint and has the square profile on the lower rear of the cab body to suit a full width pick up bed, he can supply them too if you fancy a change...

I can't weld now but I can cut, plate and form... if you want to hit it over a few days, I can come over and help..... 

sniper

More
12 Sep 2021 10:25 #238514 by Dirtbird
Sniper that's a decent offer on both fronts. If it was me id go for one guy fabricating and the other welding, give the fabricator a head start and ye would be out of it in 2 days or it could turn into one almighty tea-drinking marathon and Jimny knowledge table quiz.  

More
12 Sep 2021 13:09 #238519 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Ulysses
Rough deal Riccy!

Chassis mount looks a little sorry for itself also......check the rest of the chassis too mate.

Rust is coming for all the Jimnys!!

More
12 Sep 2021 14:41 #238520 by Dirtbird
But we can keep fighting Keithy

More
12 Sep 2021 20:18 #238531 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Ulysses
Gosh, that is bad! I didn't expect that on your Jimny at all given how often you throw the tools at it. Hope you manage to get it sorted. Document the process if you can! It would be very interesting to see how you do it :) 

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds