BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
21 Apr 2020 17:41 #221356 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
More fiddling with it today. Mostly sorting out things you cant see like various pipework & sensor related things. Then it was a start on the wiring alterations. Under the bonnet is done. un-used plugs from the vac evap can and idle control valve have been altered into plugs for the second set of injectors. Loom put back together and looking pretty neat.

1st issue that needs sorted out is the beloved airbox is hitting the bonnet. Johnny suggested cutting it back and blanking off the end, then fitting a boss into the top to make the pipe exit there, so that might be the next project with the vac former I made ages ago. It will suffice for now for the dyno tyne at least (with the filter in the end of it).

Box of bits arrived from deemon tweeks with the new fuel filter, breather filter and various hoses. New inlet manifold gasket arrived from Martin too, but is the wrong one unfortunately (will email Martin about it). Should have all the stuff needed to get it going now :-)

So tomorrow is fuel lines/filter, oil vent catch can and ECU. Maybe even the dyno if I'm lucky!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2020 19:36 #221358 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Can't tell your a sparky... under bonnet looks like a panel cabinet, super tidy... nice.

Am as excited as you to find out what the results are...... Hope you get what you are after...

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
22 Apr 2020 20:34 #221397 by Riccy
Thanks John ;-)

Day of issues.

Picked up some fuel hose and bits from Halfrauds with their odd click/collect carry on this morning and then onto Kirkbride.
Hose was wrong size of course, but Johnny had spares. Used various of everything to get all the lines and new filter & T piece plumbed in and tight for the two fuel rails as well as the pump in the tank changed over to the new higher powered Walbro model fairly easily. New filter in there as well. B)

The purge valve on the evap canister (the third line to the petrol tank) is now gone and adapted too. The line from the tank still enters the evap canister, but is now going to be vented to the snorkel breather setup for all the diffs/gearboxes (atmospheric pressure rather than vac purge).

The newly made vent catch-can has been fitted to the two rocker cover vents. The plastic adapter for the PCR valve has had the bung and springs removed (note there is two springs inside that bugger) and the two have been connected. One with some fuel hose and the other with some blue garden hose that happened to fit :unsure: :huh: All the hoses and air intake pipes will be replaced with some better and matching stuff in time, but this is to get it functional for dyno tuning.

Then it was onto the ECU wires after lunch. Managed to get a fair few of the wires swapped to the new plugs by myself (once Johnny showed me how to crimp the tiny terminals and fit them in. The labels I had fitted to the wires made it easy too. Next it was time for the expert to take over and start further dealing with the wires I was unsure of and some solder/heatshrink splicing of wires that needed to be joined. Some tidy work from what I saw of it B).

Fiddling about finally ended today with establishing a few things on the laptop with the new ecu connected and trying to crank the ignition. We have got fuel, spark, throttle position, IAT, vac, and many other sensors coming up on his laptop. The one we have the major problem with is the crank position sensor :-( We are able to crank it and view an oscilloscope diagram of the readout from the sensor and the diagram is all over the place. It should be a pretty smooth up or down signal, but in my case its fluctuation all over the place. Further investigation is required. it is magnetic by its nature so pulling the sensor to check for filings stuck to it or the wheel. Further info on the crank trigger wheel would be very useful if anyone has any? Its a DTAfast ecu S60 we are using...

Sorry for the only picture today was of the ecu connectors after I had been swapping some wires...

Bonus entertainment for the day was testing on the laptop is able to make the spark plugs light up in pairs continuously (when out of the head) ~ purely to test them. and the same can be done with the 8 injectors in a simulated staging of different RPMs. Its almost like they play a tune :laugh:

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2020 05:38 #221409 by sniper
I don't know which crank sensor is fitted to the engine Riccy, I wasn't able to gather any info on it at all..... not even year of manufacture.

There is a change at around 09-10, it's one of the stumbling blocks when fitting a late model VVT into an earlier car. A difference in the trigger ring...

sniper

More
23 Apr 2020 18:46 #221437 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Ulysses

Any good?
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Apr 2020 19:01 #221439 by Riccy
Better progress with it today. Thanks to Martin for emailing various wiring diagrams/manuals.

Turns out the crank sensor i had as spare was faulty even though it looked new. With the old one back in (was working before on the crank wheel fitted) we were still getting a terrible interference on the wiring to the ECU. Ended up by installing a length of shielded cable to the sensor and that finally got it looking better on the laptop. The crank wheel fitted to it is the same as the Jimny one thankfully.

Firing it up we had a leak around the inlet manifold to head gasket and injector 3 on the head has a damaged o ring. Popped it off and put some sealant onto the old gasket and head to get it somewhere near sealed until the new gasket arrives, the o ring will need to wait until tomorrow as I have spares in the garage to take through.

Dyno day tomorrow hopefully :silly:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Apr 2020 18:30 #221473 by Riccy
Running today without leaks of petrol all over the place and air into the manifold where it shouldn't be.

Johnny put a basic tune map from DTAfast onto the ECU and we ran it like that to balance the throttle bodies in situ as well as check temps, sensors, etc. Seemed to be running, if a little badly so we got it in and onto the dyno machine. Strapped it down and Johnny spent a bit of time changing a million and one little settings on the computers. Was going pretty well until we got a few odd sensor failures from the crank sensor, which then got worse as it got warmer. Thats a general symptom of them failing, so nipped home and pinched one from a scrap engine in the garage, went back and fitted only for it to be even worse than the one we were using once it warmed up :-(

Now on the hunt for another crank sensor locally, if not I suspect it will be at least Tuesday before I can get one mail order somewhere. Ive asked Martin of course in the hope he can get me one for Monday perhaps.

Attachments:

More
24 Apr 2020 19:33 #221475 by sniper
Painful how much time the little bits take to sort, I have only ever run carbs on a dyno and they take enough time.....

I loved the short run video..... promise of things to come :evil: :evil: :evil:

sniper

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2020 22:03 #221479 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
Looks like your getting there mate ;)

Well done

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Apr 2020 06:05 #221481 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
You are an absolute legend ! Ulysses is going to be epic.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
29 Apr 2020 18:04 #221654 by Riccy
New crank sensor arrived late yesterday so left it until today before going round to JDM dyno.

New sensor fitted and working thankfully! Johnny finished off the dyno mapping (incredibly complicated fuel mapping stuff using the rolling road to simulate load as he went through different rev ranges/loading). Then it was onto a few power runs :evil:

Best we made was 130hp and 127ft-lb of torque. Doesnt sound as much as I had hoped for, but when you take into account the losses from the huge tyres and complicated drivetrain its not bad. Certainly makes a difference when you drive it, much smoother power and much more power at any rev range :-) happy customer!

Dyno graph:

some videos of it running:

We also fiddled about with wiring the A/C back in sucessfully. The dash temp guage still wont work, which is annoying, but I have a warning at 85deg when the a/c fan is set to start running and a further warning at 100 degrees where the EML light on the dash will flash rapidly, so should be ok without the little dial for now. It is something I want to sort out if possible however. Final snag is we have been forced to choose between the VVT solenoid or the second set of injectors. This isnt really a big deal until higher RPMs when the standard 1.3 injectors are at 90% duty cycle (not ideal). This issue could be sorted out with an S80 ecu instead of the S60 we are using atm. Its only £100 more, so I am tempted to go for it and get it all in properly.

The bonnet is on just the first part of the latch as the airbox is hitting it, so I need to sort that out and connect into the snorkel somehow. Have managed to get it home, but obviously cant drive it anywhere due to a) coronavirus and b) bonnet not closed properly.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike, Reason2doubt

More
29 Apr 2020 20:13 #221659 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Ulysses
It does sound really good, nice note to it.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds