BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2019 04:30 #210932 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
That's absolutely brilliant, so looking forward to seeing it in action so plenty of videos of it being cool on the next trip out please!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Jul 2019 18:07 #210963 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Prep day.

Quick flit into town for some supplies for the weekend (red bull and butties :laugh: ). I took Ulysses so that I could get an idea for the driving.

On the way to town noticed a knocking noise from the front suspension. Turned out to be a loose nut on one of the anti-roll bar droplinks. Easy sorted. Next filled it up with petrol and found that the hose clamp onto the tank from the filler neck wasnt tight enough :blush: . Spilled about a tenners worth of petrol all around Carlisle before I noticed :laugh: . Tightened it up, but have been getting petrol smells all day in the garage, which is probably just what fell out over the chassis hopefully.

Stripped the winch, steering damper and airline socket from J999MNY and started fiddling about getting them onto Ulysses. All went on fairly easily and are working well. Bled the brakes again also as they were still a bit spongy.

Courier dropped of the all important final parcel with the CB and aerial in mid afternoon so had time to get that stuck on and working/tested. Aerial on the rear mud guard to keep the twanging noises down inside the cab!

then a bit of packing of spares, tools and sundries (loo roll) into the space avaliable. Amazing how much room there is behind the seats. Got all the tools, high lift jack, recovery gear, fridge and various clothing/boots behind the seats easily. Big box of random spares and a socket set in the load bed and strapped down as well. I had expected problems trying to pack all the gear in, but theres none of that. Room to spare in fact :-)

Finally, also I have had a tally up of the cost of the project. Suffice to say its about twice what I thought, and thats not accounting for any labour :ohmy:
Anyone who is really that interested to know, send me a PM ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

More
12 Jul 2019 18:18 #210964 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Have a great weekend...

sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2019 18:29 #210965 by Riccy
There is a space on the Saturday, get yourself up there!

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2019 18:57 #210966 by Riccy
Forgot to say...

I had fiddled about getting the tyres set to 19psi front and 16psi rear before setting off to town. This is to account for the drastic weight loss at the rear, combined with much bigger tyre footprint all round.

This has reduced the tyre noise a lot, as well as a bit of tweaking of the steering bars to suit. Loaded they would probably need more air and for green lanes they would be happy at around 12-14psi all round.

The net result is that it is a bit like a go-cart to drive. The steering is sharp and turn in good. Ride is very firm (superpro bushed throughout) with the trailmaster 'comfort' shocks/springs it is still a very firm ride. Grip far exceeds the power available, especially at higher speeds. 1st/2nd gear on roundabouts is a hoot! this makes me think :whistle: :whistle: .

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2019 19:35 #210967 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
"A go cart" says you, "really?" says I. We shall have to put that to the test some time! :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Jul 2019 19:48 - 12 Jul 2019 19:49 #210968 by jackonlyjack
Last edit: 12 Jul 2019 19:49 by jackonlyjack.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
15 Jul 2019 09:02 #211086 by Riccy
OK, requested pics and vids from the weekend's outing around the lakes.

Superb 2 day trip out. Excellent weather and scenery, cracking lanes and even better company ;-)

Ulysses managed everything happily enough. Except to loose the new CB aerial on the first lane :-( Couple of other minor battle scars on the roll cage & back arches from U5003 (tightest lane in the lakes, but I forgot to film that of course :laugh: ). The petrol tank is still leaking if totally filled and the exhaust back box decided to part company on the Sunday (mid section pipe corroded at the join to back box and snapped off). Whipped it off and into the pickup bed. Pipe strapped up with some wire. Not that noisy without a box surprisingly.

Dave no.2 (CamoJimny/Statey) lost the roof rack in fairly spectacular fashion on Mireside (the one I call gardening lane). I skipped that and Town Yeat out of preference for some paint on the car :laugh:

Dave no.1 (S200KYS) had a long wait for the AA, but I will let him tell that tale...

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
15 Jul 2019 09:04 #211087 by Riccy
and all the videos... (not necessarily in the right order)

Saturday:

Barkerknott farm:

Breasthigh ford:

Breasthigh 1:

Breasthigh 2:

Breasthigh step:

Breasthigh 3:

Breasthigh 4:

Crossthwaite:

Dove house farm:

Eversley:

Garth row:

Hale:

Joels lane:

Lacys caves:

Lane 3:

Mill dam:

Milnthorpe:

Petteril green cotts 1:

Petteril green cotts 2:

Row:

The ashes:

Viol moor:

Sunday:

Track down to borrans hill:

Great blencow:

Greystoke:

Hall field:

Bumpy 1:

Bumpy 2:

Bumpy 3:

Bumpy 4:

Brett up Parkamoor 1st steps:

Parkamoor 1:

Parkamoor 2:

Parkamoor 3:

The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack, stiffsteve204me

More
15 Jul 2019 10:01 - 15 Jul 2019 10:01 #211088 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Ulysses
Absolutely awesome! Great videos and pictures Riccy!
Last edit: 15 Jul 2019 10:01 by Reason2doubt.

More
15 Jul 2019 10:08 #211090 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Great stuff, pity about the Damage and mechanical problems but it's all part of the "fun" I suppose.

Testament to your work Ric, there's not many folk who could build a car and do two days in the lakes, with no issue, as a shakedown run......

sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
15 Jul 2019 14:31 #211095 by Riccy
Thanks guys!

Looking back on it, using the lakes weekender as a shakedown run was a bit silly. Ive done similar before a previous lakes outing when swapping gearboxes about on J999MNY. That went smooth as well thankfully.
Most of the gear on Ulysses is in a combination ive used before on J999MNY, so I knew it would work and what to expect. Wasnt expecting the go-cart handling, but maybe that is because im used to J999MNY's wallow?!

anyway,
scratches not that bad after a wash... couple of marks here and there on the cage and drivers wing mirror. Rest of it is fine :-)

Quick touch up with a small brush and stippling it a bit to get the bumpy finish back...

Front passenger arch has cracked at the bottom, but its fixable...

And found the reason for fuel leaking. The tank neck is holed and corroded :-( I have bodged it together for now with some body filler and self amalgamating tape with a view to a new tank at some point.

Quick tighten of a few nuts and bolts underneath as well to stop a couple of knocking noises. Im thankful I used locknuts everywhere :laugh:

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds