BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2020 06:29 #224862 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Ulysses
Ulysses is the only m18 motor in the UK that we are aware of. It came new as an import from Australia where the Liana was offered with it I think.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2020 07:35 #224868 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Re:Ulysses

Lambert wrote: Ulysses is the only m18 motor in the UK that we are aware of. It came new as an import from Australia where the Liana was offered with it I think.

Thanks, no wonder he's losing traction in 2nd

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Jul 2020 08:15 #224870 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses

sniper wrote: All the engine mgmt stuff is beyond me, I could just about balance a pair of carbs and use a timing light.... Lost me when fuel injection came to the fore in the 80's..... christ I feel old...

Did you manage to slow down the throttle linkage ?

sniper

I thought I had a grasp on it, but then Johnny started opening all sorts of extra windows in the software and its like looking at a giant spread-sheet full of numbers, all of which affect timing, fuel, vvt, second tune, etc, etc.
If youve seen dyno tuning theres the 'page up' thing you hear (usually when adding more boost to turbo cars), but we got a bit of that as its used for timing advance in this tune. Johnny has a clever little box with two dials to do it instead (one for fuel and the other for timing in my case). Lots of fiddling about.

The throttle linkage is still a bit twitchy off the base, but Ive found by turning up the idle screw to get it idling around 1000rpm sorts it out. Its much smoother that way and less likley to stall at low speeds. Ive an idea about a bit of rubber hose to cushion it im going to try as well ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 08:20 #224873 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Re:Ulysses

Old Neil wrote:

Lambert wrote: Ulysses is the only m18 motor in the UK that we are aware of. It came new as an import from Australia where the Liana was offered with it I think.

Thanks, no wonder he's losing traction in 2nd

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

I think you might have me mixed up with Sniper, who is doing exhaust works at the min ;-)

Yes it is the M18 vvt as Lambert says, I actually bought it from Sniper. Probably of Russian origin actually, but are known to be in Australia and Asia.

Its using a DTA fast ecu, but Haltech, Megasquirt, etc could all run it provided they can deal with the crank pattern. I think there is a thread on the haltech forums about the suzuki trigger wheel. Same wheel is used in M13, M15, M16 and M18 engines 2005-2010 so any will work the same.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Old Neil

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 14:56 #224901 by Riccy
Dyno results as promised. The first one is from when it was first setup, second from yesterday with snorkel on and second injectors coming in around 4500rpm:

And this is the software. I bought a odd serial lead needed for the ecu setup, but it also gives you a sort of dashboard layout to view (mainly so I can see engine temp). This is an old windows tablet with a USB to serial adapter and runs the software brilliantly. Only problem is the gooseneck mount is wobbly and screen shiny/big. It'll do well to keep in glovebox for diagnosis if theres a problem and is my equivalent to the ODB reader now. I can also fiddle with what RPM the VVT starts at and a whole list of other stuff, though thats probably best left to Johnny's expertise.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper, Reason2doubt

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 15:00 #224902 by Riccy
Oh, and petrol smell traced to a bust hose onto the original fuel rail. inner has seperated from outer layer oddly :unsure: New and spare hose on order. Big trip out next weekend for the 2-day lakes trip. Cant wait! :cheer:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 Jul 2020 16:56 - 20 Jul 2020 16:57 #225398 by Riccy
Well, a bit of a teaser first. The annual Lake District weekender went ahead and was fantastic. So nice to get out with some mates on great lanes after all this lockdown stuff. It is just a teaser, as the Blog-a-thon is underway with all the pics and vids everyone has made. Brett has plenty of work sorting though them all :laugh: Petteril Green Cotts causing some interesting situations :blink: :woohoo:Saturday and Sunday both saw the winch out and lane maintenance jobs, accidents and breakages for most of the crew.and... thats it about all on the trip for now ;-)

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jul 2020 16:57 by Riccy.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 Jul 2020 16:59 #225399 by Riccy
Trailer tarp has arrived finally in other news. Quick test fit and its all looking good B)

Actually, 2x identical covers have arrived. The tarp guy said just to keep it as an unexpected bonus :-)

Attachments:

More
20 Jul 2020 19:49 #225403 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Re:Ulysses
Looks great!! And in most off-road situations you will probable not be hindered by this trailer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
20 Jul 2020 20:32 #225405 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
The trailer looks good enough to be the back end of a pick up.... Love the "flight deck" stuff on the screen, Joel can be a true co-pilot now lol....

Still loving the build.

Can't wait to see the blog for the trip, sounds to have been a good one.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jul 2020 05:02 #225411 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Looks like a great time was had by all..love the matching handbag look with your trailer.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
09 Aug 2020 12:32 #226390 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Lazy Sunday morning checking out some local lanes.

First up was Blindcrake. This is a lane Ive been and looked at nearly 3 years ago and reported as blocked by branches and fallen walling stone. Nothing has happened from the council or GLASS so I paid a visit with my little hand saw. It didnt take much to remove the bigger branches and shove some stone out of the way and make it passable now. Its still pretty scratchy though...

Then onto another near Caldbeck called Longlands. Popular with the walkers...

Checked out a few round Caldbeck that had no TW2 comments, one was closed as a through route and the other was just tarmac around the village green.

and finally Spittal farm on the way home. Had to divert around the farmers pickup and ended up in some really smelly stuff :sick:

Not bad for a mornings messing about seeing the sights :-)

Off to Wales next weekend for the Henryd trip with Brett...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, ahtr

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds