BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo Jimny

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Sep 2016 04:10 #172631 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Turbo Jimny
138bhp and 173lbs ft.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2016 21:29 #172670 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Turbo Jimny
I'd be impressed with anything over 100hp at the wheels. The transmission losses on a Jimny are fairly high, so an accurate estimate at flywheel horsepower must be difficult?

More
22 Sep 2016 08:10 #172674 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Turbo Jimny
It appears that the car will never see a dyno.... £350+VAT.....from 3 shops...I just can't see me paying that...way out of my league!

If I had the space I'd build a dyno for around that.

Public weighbridge next then calculator time.

More
22 Sep 2016 09:49 #172675 by Busta
Is that for mapping time too? My local dyno will do a simple power run for £40, although the last dynograph I got from them looked like a silhouette of the alps, it had that many irregular peaks and troughs (the car ran smooth as a smooth thing). I guess you get what you pay for.

More
22 Sep 2016 11:13 #172680 by Keithy

Busta wrote: Is that for mapping time too? My local dyno will do a simple power run for £40, although the last dynograph I got from them looked like a silhouette of the alps, it had that many irregular peaks and troughs (the car ran smooth as a smooth thing). I guess you get what you pay for.

I can have a power run for £60+vat.....but I'm not actually interested in that.....steady state setting of fuel and spark is what I'd like.

I'm just too poor......

• kevinbarry18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2016 11:23 #172714 by kevinbarry18
Replied by kevinbarry18 on topic Turbo Jimny
How long would it take you to pay off a loan if you got it ...and i mean paying it back ?

More
23 Sep 2016 15:29 #172722 by Keithy

kevinbarry18 wrote: How long would it take you to pay off a loan if you got it ...and i mean paying it back ?

If I went for the dyno tune I'd actually see a profit.....Half a house as part of the divorce settlement......yeah I'd have some spare cash for a while......V8 busa with 1K ponies I think....

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Sep 2016 17:09 #172724 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Turbo Jimny
Serious question, if you were to offer your conversion as a fully fitted retail option what sort of money would cover it?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• kevinbarry18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2016 19:41 #172728 by kevinbarry18
Replied by kevinbarry18 on topic Turbo Jimny
Reason i ask is.you hsve come this far with your turbo conversion.now for the sake of 350 or was it 450 you not going to find out how good it is..i live across the pond and while some people think giving a stranger a loan is total loonercy yes spelling......if i had the chsnge i would consider giving it to you as long as i got it back.. or having the kit fitted to my jeep as long as it is tried and tested like any new idea.

More
23 Sep 2016 21:26 #172735 by Keithy

kevinbarry18 wrote: Reason i ask is.you hsve come this far with your turbo conversion.now for the sake of 350 or was it 450 you not going to find out how good it is..i live across the pond and while some people think giving a stranger a loan is total loonercy yes spelling......if i had the chsnge i would consider giving it to you as long as i got it back.. or having the kit fitted to my jeep as long as it is tried and tested like any new idea.

Well that's a kind offer Kevin I appreciate the sentiment entirely.

It's not a lack of finances....it's more of a negotiation of where finances go....plus I simply can't see the merit in £420+fuel both travelling and on the dyno.

In the coming weeks I'll get round to setting the timing and afr nearer to optimum and take it for a power run at the local "non megasquirt" rolling road and gain some figures.

Did I mention I'm a Yorkshireman?

More
23 Sep 2016 22:05 #172737 by Busta
Few more questions....

Did you make the exhaust manifold?
What is the turbo from?
Have you thought about a bigger air box, or even an open filter? It has been suggested in the past that the standard air box is small to the point of being restrictive, even for the standard engine.

More
23 Sep 2016 22:13 #172739 by Keithy

11/60 wrote: Serious question, if you were to offer your conversion as a fully fitted retail option what sort of money would cover it?

I worked out a price of £2200 for a chap.....Two caveats thrown in the mix though....firstly does the standard Jimny bumper let enough air through to allow the intercooler to work.....If I remember right it's aperture is around half the size of mine.....might work...suck it and see but it might need to be "enlarged" as it's a 650hp rated cooler it's big....If it's one of the rad blocker metal types with a winch in the middle......might have to be roof mounted! :D

Secondly and possibly a setback for some is that to replace the Garrett like for like is £800 which pushes the 2200 to 2800 I priced it at 2200 using an ebay part item number 201109897729 or 252409892620 both around the £200 mark......Probably a Chinese copy....definitely not a Garrett....the latter has a neater casting appearance easily as good as the garrett.....internally.....possibly as good!

The turbo has only been fitted for a month on Sunday with 500 miles on it....no issues yet.

You'd need to come see it and take it for a drive to see if this kind of thing is your kind of thing.....and then see if you'd trust me modifying your motor.... some metal has to go! mostly around the headlights for the intercooler pipework....a few parts get moved out of the way etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds