BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo Jimny

More
07 May 2017 18:17 #181016 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Turbo Jimny
Still waiting on cash and time on the SSS engine......so I've been getting on with other projects.

So after spending almost £3K building a vacuum forming machine.....finally getting stuff organised.

Ran a few test pieces off....made quite a bit of scrap plastic too! :D

One thing that's bothered me about the Jimny is the half assed rear wheel centres....Not any more....I finally got around to those.

New bodykit will be fitted to the silver Jimny over the next 2 weeks.....along with other stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2017 19:47 #181028 by jackonlyjack

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2017 06:11 #181035 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Turbo Jimny
Brilliant!! B) B) B)

• Millen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2017 07:48 #185243 by Millen
Replied by Millen on topic Turbo Jimny
Hey Keithy, nice project thread you got here, just read it through.
Please have some patience if you already mentioned something of what I'm about to ask. It's about the 1,3 turbo engine you ran.
So Garrett GT1544 with 0.38ar.
Did you change the compression with a thicker headgasket or so, or did you run it with original compresssion?
Added fuel pressure?
Injectors?
What exactly was the engine setup before you switched to 1,6?

Pictures of exhaust plumbing would be nice to see. :)

Best Regards
Mattias Fröberg

More
15 Oct 2017 08:05 #185246 by Keithy
Hi Mattias, The 1.3 used the standard 9.5:1 compression....no detonation even on cheap petrol.

I used a rising rate fuel pressure regulator after blanking the end of the original fuel rail.

I used the Liana injectors......only ever got to 53% usage so probably the standard 1.3 injectors would have been fine.

It ran @25PSI for 8000 miles before terminal conrod snappage :D

I have to say I never checked the condition of the 1.3 I used and after it was stripped it became apparent to me
that maybe it tolerated the 25PSI as it was worn out and had less than the original CR.....I'll admit to not caring if it had
blown up earlier as I figured engines are one of the cheaper parts to replace :D

So prior to the M16A fitment the engine was standard.

I'll get some pictures of the manifold later for you......it's made using sch 10 SS 304 fittings and a section of 304 tube to mate to the original exhaust.

More
15 Oct 2017 15:16 #185252 by Keithy
Just noticed a lot of the imgur etc pictures have gone missing......I may have to start posting images to my own server and get away from other peoples services.....can't even remember what the images were now!

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2017 19:17 #185257 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:Turbo Jimny
I’d like photos :) been thinking of converting g16b for years now..

More
15 Oct 2017 19:20 #185258 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Re:Turbo Jimny

MadsV wrote: I’d like photos :) been thinking of converting g16b for years now..

I was driving the wife's vitara today.....it's the G16B......I wouldn't bother :D

Mine's the M16 Swift Sport engine Mads

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2017 20:20 #185260 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:Turbo Jimny
Was thinking g16b turbo yes, got the engine laying already. Hard(expensive) getting the swift sport engine in Norway! Are you running without the turbo now?

More
15 Oct 2017 20:24 #185261 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Re:Turbo Jimny

MadsV wrote: Was thinking g16b turbo yes, got the engine laying already. Hard(expensive) getting the swift sport engine in Norway! Are you running without the turbo now?

I am....it's better than the 1.3 but....once you have a taste of the precious! :D

• Millen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2017 06:40 #185263 by Millen
Replied by Millen on topic Re:Turbo Jimny
Don't know how many percent the original ones use when maxed with original setting, it seems like a good idea to go bigger if a rise of fuelpressure is not enought.
Keeping them injectors under 80% could be a good rule of thumb.
Would be interesting to know if the rods should be able to handle more torque, if everything is in good condition and well balanced.
25PSI is quite much for not lowering compression I guess. Maybe cometic make thicker steel headgaskets for these.
Did the head stay in place or did you experience any lift there?
That turboconversion must have made he Jimny quite quick and responsive with that compression. :)

When it comes to the 1.6, have you compared weight of all parts that goes with it to the 1.3?

More
16 Oct 2017 07:21 #185265 by Keithy
I doubt the standard rods will withstand even gentle boost for long.....oh so skinny!

I bought 9.0:1 wiseco 78.5mm pistons and K1 500hp rods....so the 1.6 will be fine I think.

Weight will be slightly more due to crank and rod weight....negligible really.

It was a wild ride....zero lag and revved like a mad thing gone mad.

I sent you a pm

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds