BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Placek's 33" Jimny

• Placek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2015 20:04 - 26 Oct 2015 17:03 #140813 by Placek
Placek's 33" Jimny was created by Placek
My 31" Jimny was not awesome enough, mainly because of it's weak 80PS engine, almost stock suspension and too small wheels so I decided to rebuild it completely :) Unfortunately coilovers are too expensive, so for now I am going to use Ironaman +2" springs and shock dampers.

The one that I'm rebuilding is the green one: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=to...d=55403&limitstart=0

Rear suspension is almost ready, just need to fit shock dampers and finish the A-radius arm.
Btw the rear axle is from Suzuki Vitara 1.6 16V with 5.125 ratio. I'm going to put some armour on it.

Last edit: 26 Oct 2015 17:03 by Placek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Placek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2015 21:55 - 17 Mar 2015 21:59 #140826 by Placek
Replied by Placek on topic Placek's 33" Jimny
I'll put the fuel tank to the inside of the car.
I decided to install Vitara's axle because it's much more durable than Jimny's - it has to bear 33" Silverstone MT117 Extreme tyres and BMW 1.8is 140PS engine in rally conditions :) Front axle is the wide one from samurai with TG 33-spline axleshafts and cv joints. The rear axle has been also moved 6cm to the rear.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2015 21:59 by Placek.

• Placek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2015 10:46 - 18 Mar 2015 11:01 #140842 by Placek
Picture of the front suspension (no shock dampers yet) and the whole chassis upside down.
In the next few days we should put on the wheels and flip the chassis to do the final measurments and suspension welding incl. panhard rod, which we think is going to be a bit problematic.

Last edit: 18 Mar 2015 11:01 by Placek.

• Placek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2015 08:48 #140918 by Placek
Chassis on it's wheels. Looks big :) Sorry for the poor quality, but the photos were taken with a cell phone...

And a little bonus - my new emblem ;)

More
19 Mar 2015 09:55 #140920 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Placek's 33" Jimny
This is looking good.

What is going to be done to the body? Anything radical or left as was?

I've often thought Sammy axles with TG shafts would be a good idea on a Jimny because the diffs remain Suzuki ssized, so you don't lose ground clearance taken up by Toyota or G Wagon bigger axles. You then gain more by the same bigger tyres.

It's just a case of getting the castor right by rotating the axle to suit and sorting out the location of the other components. I say just but it's beyond me!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Placek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2015 11:33 #140924 by Placek
The body will be as stock as spossible, I'm not going to cut it in half. But some serious fenders trimming and mudguards mods are going to happen, because the wheels are just too big.
I chose vitara's rear axle beacause of it's 5,125 ratio - I also used vitara's front differential in samurai's front axle. And btw.: rear axle from 1.6 16V is much better than from 1.6 8V - same ratio, but the gears are attached better and axle shafts are thicker.

More
19 Mar 2015 17:42 #140939 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Placek's 33" Jimny
Can you get TG shafts for the Vitara rear axle? Are they needed with a locker in the Vitara rear axle or are the standard Vitara rear shafts bomb proof?

I know you can get them for Sammy rear axles.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
19 Mar 2015 17:48 #140941 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Placek's 33" Jimny
Twenty years abusing Vitaras and I've only ever turned the splined ends off two shafts where they enter the diff (with the help of a Centerforce clutch, crawler box and a rear LSD)... if that helps

• Placek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2015 18:52 #140947 by Placek

kirkynut wrote: Can you get TG shafts for the Vitara rear axle? Are they needed with a locker in the Vitara rear axle or are the standard Vitara rear shafts bomb proof?

I know you can get them for Sammy rear axles.

Kirkynut

Rear Vitara axle is bombproof ;) I have TG shafts and joints in front samurai axle.

• Nicks_Jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2015 21:32 #140966 by Nicks_Jim
Replied by Nicks_Jim on topic Placek's 33" Jimny

MysticRich wrote: Have you moved your front axle forward ?
It's a job on my to do list as I'm running 32" tyres on the jimny axle with Robb storr shafts ect and my tyres still foul on the body and I have 4" springs on the front with a 2" body lift on what cab I have left after the tray back and that's after I have cut everything away possible.
Interested in the used of vitara rear axle and could be a good option.
Would the jimny diff fit in an vitara axle to keep gearing same ??

Hi MysticRich, just reading ur post about ur tyres fouling on ur body with 32" tyres. i have the same sort of setup as u.i have 32" insa turbo tyres no body lift, and a 4.5" D&G suspension setup, but i did have D&G radius arms front and rear. i had to cut away the inner arch foot well side and angle the small box section under the head lights. but now i have changed the front D&G radius to kap suzuki ones which are about 12mm longer. which totally misses the body.hope this helps, Nick

• Placek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2015 17:33 #141001 by Placek

MysticRich wrote: Have you moved your front axle forward ?

Yes, 16cm.

• jimnydms
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2015 17:29 #141265 by jimnydms
Replied by jimnydms on topic Placek's 33" Jimny
do you know how the ORA mk1 radius arms compare for size ? i have the same tyres/setup and same problem

thanks

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds