BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

TOPH's new Jimny build

More
04 Mar 2015 16:41 #139836 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic TOPH's new Jimny build

toph wrote: Not much of a build update but more prepping, had some lovely deliveries today.... New vertical air compressor, 4 axle stands and high lift trolley jack.

That compressor, how much was it and is it good enough to undo wheel nuts and other stuff?

Thanks
Brett

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2015 16:53 - 04 Mar 2015 16:55 #139839 by toph
Replied by toph on topic TOPH's new Jimny build

maverick wrote: That compressor, how much was it and is it good enough to undo wheel nuts and other stuff?

Thanks
Brett

it was about £130, its 8cfm with 8bar (115psi ???) & 50L tank. not yet used it but will be very disappointed if it doesn't run a windy gun, mainly want it for air ratchet, die grinder etc and the plasma cutter :evil: .

i think the gun i have now is rated to work at 90psi 200L per min but I am used to running it off the old compressor which was a big beast so this new little one will be working at pretty much is 100% duty on it.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 16:55 by toph.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2015 17:49 #139843 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
That compressor is nowhere near big enough for continuous work with a grinder or impact gun. You'll need a lot more air than 200l/min :)

• toph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2015 18:14 #139845 by toph
I would be having a very disappointing day if I needed to use a impact gun continuously ......

I recon I could have a wheel off in less that 25 seconds !! And 1/4 die grinders are 4- 5cfm which also you wouldn't use continuously as you would just use a better tool for a big job so it didn't take all day.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2015 18:28 #139849 by TomDK

toph wrote: I would be having a very disappointing day if I needed to use a impact gun continuously ......

I recon I could have a wheel off in less that 25 seconds !! And 1/4 die grinders are 4- 5cfm which also you wouldn't use continuously as you would just use a better tool for a big job so it didn't take all day.

Well regarding the impact gun, just remember to use a good size hose, 1/2" will do.
Not the small cheap ones that often comes with these compressors. They don't deliver enough.

About the grinders, I only mention it because I've been using one myself with a compressor of roughly the same size. And it's a pain in the butt using a grinder which requires lots a air on a small compressor :)

More
04 Mar 2015 22:11 #139887 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
be good to see how it works with the plasma cutter as I had a compressor with slightly better spec and wouldn't run my plasma cutter properly, had to borrow my mates next door if I was using it then it worked fine

JIMNYLESS

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2015 22:19 #139893 by TomDK

idiotmobil wrote: be good to see how it works with the plasma cutter as I had a compressor with slightly better spec and wouldn't run my plasma cutter properly, had to borrow my mates next door if I was using it then it worked fine

Did you use a proper air hose? Not too small diameter?

• toph
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2018 19:47 - 20 Aug 2018 19:51 #195300 by toph
Well........... seems like the jimny build is back on, starting next Friday. My son in the photo ( also in the first post) will be 7 next week and has claimed it as his! He said “going to make a blue monster truck “
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Aug 2018 19:51 by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2018 15:31 - 26 Aug 2018 15:36 #195435 by
Replied by on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
Well we made a start........ a slow start but some progress !!! Didn’t have a 12mm drill with me so just the lower shock bolts to do next Sunday then on to the front and hopefully transfer swap.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2018 15:36 by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2018 09:52 #195664 by
Had a little issue with the rear brake line joint which was seized up so had to make up another up but whist that was happening “mini me” decided to go on an imaginary adventure in the car and pumped the brakes leaving me with a puddle

Front end is pretty much done, still need the drop links removing asI just cut though them for now as they looked like they required more energy than I had left from fighting every bolt.

Next Sunday ... transfer box swap over, diffs swapped over and winch to be fitted.
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Sep 2018 17:02 #195673 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic TOPH's new Jimny build
A couple of questions...

1. Is that an orange KAP trayback hiding in the background?
2. What gearbox is in the blue one? if its R72 (as is usually in a VVT), then you might have issues with the intermediate prop. R72 has a different spline count on output shaft and is shorter overall (meaning the intermediate prop may need shortened). Let me know if thats the case as i have just the thing going spare in my shed ;-)

Also ive had a similar problem with my nephews this weekend. nothing was left without a sticky layer and in a different position. Horn got plenty exercise too :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2018 18:45 #195677 by

Riccy wrote: A couple of questions...

1. Is that an orange KAP trayback hiding in the background?
2. What gearbox is in the blue one? if its R72 (as is usually in a VVT), then you might have issues with the intermediate prop. R72 has a different spline count on output shaft and is shorter overall (meaning the intermediate prop may need shortened). Let me know if thats the case as i have just the thing going spare in my shed ;-)

Hi, yes the orange one was a KAP creation, had it about 8 years, my old profile had a build thread for it.

Yes it has the R72, plans are to take the gearbox, transfer box(Rockwatt) and diffs(locker) from the orange one, but I haven’t got a lift in this unit so not sure if or when I will do a full swap.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds