BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Jimny Virgin Requires Advice

• AndyRix
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2014 20:00 #115343 by AndyRix
Jimny Virgin Requires Advice was created by AndyRix
Hello everyone

I'm looking to buy a Jimny (Poss 07/08) and want to lift it and put some chunky monkey tyres on however I have a few questions that I'm sure have been answered to death before but if you could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful , my Jimny will be for the odd weekend on farmers fields & tracks for shooting (prob less than 2000 miles/year) however I'd also like it to look the muts nuts too !! :-)

Which lift kit should I buy ?

How easy is it to lift yourself ?

Is there anyone that would lift it for me ?

What size modular rims should I buy ?

What size / brand of tyres ?

I love the look of the photo I've attached but I'm guessing that's had some serious work done to it ?

Thankyou

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• steffan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2014 21:12 #115353 by steffan
Replied by steffan on topic Jimny Virgin Requires Advice
Looks like around a 3inch lift and 31inch tyres should be able to have one looking like that for a couple of grand

• jtayl153
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2014 01:52 #115365 by jtayl153
Replied by jtayl153 on topic Jimny Virgin Requires Advice
3 inch lift and 31inch tyres are probs a bit over kill. With 31 inch tyres you'd need a gear reduction too, extra 1200 euros there.

2inch lift is all you'd need. Bring it round my house and we can do it in an afternoon, oh, btw I live in Australia. Hope that's not an inconvenience :P

Doing a 2" lift yourself is fairly easy. Basic tools (spanners, socket/ratchet kit etc). Theres a how to guide on this forum somewhere already. All you have to do is remove old shocks and springs and install new ones. Any more than 2" lift and you need to do camber correction bushes, extended brake hoses etc... adds to the cost too. My 2" lift, Tough Dog shocks and springs cost me $800 AUD.

Regarding tyres. Standard is 205/70 road tyres. I'm on Falken Wild Peak 215/75 All terrains. I haven't had a problem with them yet. With those you'll get ~2cm of lift from the tyres. You gotta decide if you want roadies ATs or MTs, you need to consider what you'll be using your Jimny for on a daily basis. MTs are aggressive, hinder handling and can be noisy when on road. A/Ts are my choice, they're not noisier, don't affect handling and are 100x better off road that roadies.

If you get 235/75s you'll want a gear reduction too.

Regarding brand, doesn't matter too much. I use Falken Wild Peak, in my tyre fitters opinion, they're better than BFGs. But its up to you

• boybi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2014 06:47 #116416 by boybi
Replied by boybi on topic Jimny Virgin Requires Advice
What would happen if I don't regear when using 235/75?

More
27 May 2014 07:49 #116418 by Basketcase

boybi wrote: What would happen if I don't regear when using 235/75?

Absolutely nothing I run that size with 3" lift no castor correction and not broke anything or been Stuck yet!

More
27 May 2014 08:15 #116419 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Jimny Virgin Requires Advice
The low ratio gearing on a Jimny is poor, even in its standard form. Putting larger tyres on it make it worse. Therefore most people recommend re-gearing to improve the gearing and save the clutch.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
27 May 2014 10:08 #116426 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny Virgin Requires Advice
A standard Jimny is capable enough for driving around fields and farm tracks.

There are two ways you can go here.

Fit big tyres, a suspension lift, castor corrected arms, extended brake lines, new transfer case etc for about £2k and it will look like the one in the picture. It won't necessarily make it any better for what you are doing, but if you want big tyres without making everything else worse that is what you'll need.

Or fit the biggest tyres you can without needing a lift (215/75 R15s or 195/80 R15 if you want remoulds) and keep everything else as it is for the cost of the tyres.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds