BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
05 Dec 2018 22:41 - 06 Dec 2018 10:01 #198698 by Max Headroom
Just finished going through the blog; massive thanks for sharing it - I found it hugely entertaining.
Damn! There were some steep gnarly bits, and that rocky step...!
Good to see a winch being used in anger too.

Although not an active forum member, my neighbour has the link to the blog and I know from her comments on the last blog that she's going to love this!

EDIT:
I read through that blog last night - dammit I was dreaming about it! last night :) :side:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 06 Dec 2018 10:01 by Max Headroom.
The topic has been locked.
More
06 Dec 2018 10:26 #198706 by X8GGY
Unfortunately our blogs are going to have to change a little... :(

The governing bodies of greenlaning in the UK - GLASS and ATUK - are unhappy with the openness and frankness of our blogs, in particular showing screenshots of my iPad showing where we were on OS Landranger maps on the screen, an introductory route map at the beginning of the blog, and us naming 'lanes we use...

I find this very draconian, and a step backwards... We have in our blogs always tried to promote the legal and sensible use of this nation's Rights of Way network. We shouldn't have to keep this all like some secret society as greenlaning has been portrayed in the past. These are public 'roads' although they may be rough and / or overgrown, they are still part of the highways system in the UK for us all to use...?

But, the powers that be want us to vague everything up from now on, no transparency of us carrying out our hobby the right way, but we will have to bow to the governing bodies, so I'm afraid in the future they will be very much less detailed...

Dave :(
More
06 Dec 2018 10:37 #198707 by Max Headroom
Dammit Dave, that's utterly ridiculous! :(
In my opinion it can only be counterproductive to what it is they stand for and/or are trying to acheive! Muppets :angry:

I can see it's got to be a huge step backwards! I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Ah well,no doubt when its all too late and the lanes have completely grown over and seamlessley melted back into the land they might regret that ridiculousness.
Sadly the fun police are breeding

More
06 Dec 2018 10:40 #198708 by maverick
It's also to CYA.

I agree we have been and always will continue to be "Legal Laners", but there are "types" out there who do not have the same mantra as us, and believe that "hey they did it 2yrs ago so it must be OK"....

I quite often get (and I'm sure you do too Dave) "hey mate can you forward me your GPX of this route ... I am happy to do this on the proviso that they are in GLASS, ATUK, TRF etc ... and that is where the request normally dies.

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
06 Dec 2018 11:03 #198710 by 1390_taz
I look forward to your adventures and reading your blogs each month. And I'm saddened to here GLASS have stepped in, yet they encourage us to use them or lose them
More
06 Dec 2018 11:31 - 06 Dec 2018 11:36 #198711 by maverick
Nether GLASS nor ATUK have "stepped-in" ... both organistions like us promote legal laning, and we want to continue this, but their fear and ours is that non-legal laners are seeing where we go and want to potentially "rip up" the lanes ... and therefore runining it for the Legal Laners.

As a point/comment ... who on this Thread and BigJimny Forum are members of GLASS, All Terrain UK and TRF?

Join GLASS here www.glass-uk.org/join-glass.html

Join All Terrain UK here www.allterrainuk.com/newsite/join-us

Join TRF here www.trf.org.uk/wp-join-the-trf/

me (aka Maverick) is a member of both GLASS and All Terrain UK as i see that these Organisations are working (in their differing methods, but to a same goal ... Keep Our Green Lanes OPEN

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 06 Dec 2018 11:36 by maverick. Reason: typo
More
06 Dec 2018 12:24 #198712 by helijohn

S200KYS wrote: Unfortunately our blogs are going to have to change a little... :(

The governing bodies of greenlaning in the UK - GLASS and ATUK the powers that be want us to vague everything up from now on, no transparency of us carrying out our hobby the right way, but we will have to bow to the governing bodies, so I'm afraid in the future they will be very much less detailed...

Dave :(

So what happens if you don't do as they ask??

Even though I am not the least bit interested in greenlaning or allied activities I cannot see why they should dictate to you and thus indirectly us.

More snowflakes is it Dave? And if they read this then GOOD.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
More
06 Dec 2018 13:41 - 06 Dec 2018 13:43 #198715 by Max Headroom
I did consider joining one of these organisations even though I don't do any greenlaning (yet); at the moment its something I enjoy reading about, and I wouldn't mind tagging along as a 'gate-keeper' if a spare seat was offered. Many years ago I did tag along with some friends in Berks,
However if this is their attitude towards those that do 'tow-the-line' and who openly demonstrate responsible attitudes, they have just succeeded in putting me off parting with my hard-earned cash.

I accept that it's desireable to keep the riff-raff away who seem hell-bent on ruining things for others, but I think they could be going about this the wrong way; the riff-raff are going to find these lanes wether they're publicised or not - they aren't exactly a secret.

Last edit: 06 Dec 2018 13:43 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Dec 2018 16:51 #198718 by Lambert
As all I could honesty say is negative I'm going to say nothing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland
  • Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2018 21:54 #198729 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
So they work under the premise that membership one of these organisations bestows virtue and purity (and vice versa)? Hmmm :unsure:
More
06 Dec 2018 21:58 #198730 by helijohn

Lambert wrote: As all I could honesty say is negative I'm going to say nothing.

That reminds me of exam pages that say this is a blank page - or is that what you intended!!;) ;) :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert
More
07 Dec 2018 01:25 #198734 by X8GGY
Thanks for all your supportive comments B)

WOW :blink: is it really 1:20 in the morning? :lol:

I've just finished editing all 25 blogs on the greenlaning.blog page that took over when the Bits4Vits blogs disappeared...

I've changed EVERY iPad map photo to -

To keep the greenlaning governing bodies 'happy; and so we don't show potential routes for those less responsible than ourselves to (ab)use...

Four hours of my life I won't get back, but a job well done...

Nighty night... ;)
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds