BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
14 Oct 2018 21:00 #196771 by helijohn

S200KYS wrote: 2. Mis-spaced number plates - My Jimny's registration should be displayed as "S200 KYS" by I had the normal plates made as "S200KYS" so it reads (hopefully!) as 'SUZUKIS" (well, that's the idea anyway!) So I have a pair of perfectly spaced plates in the garage to swap on for the MOT test...

I wouldn't have thought the MoT man would be looking for that, cracked plates or such yes.
My 26 year old 2.5TD just passed on Thursday. Admittedly I greased all the grease points (yes it has them - loads of them) which helps and I took it on a run with a diesel additive to help emission, gave it a vacuuming to keep up appearances but otherwise did nowt and I was a nervous wreck; worse than a dentist appointment jitters so I wish you all the best for yours.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
The topic has been locked.
More
15 Oct 2018 06:00 #196781 by X8GGY
Yup, two failure points last year on (very slightly) mis-spaced number plates... I mentioned Dave was firm but fair ;)
More
15 Oct 2018 07:37 #196788 by helijohn

S200KYS wrote: Yup, two failure points last year on (very slightly) mis-spaced number plates... I mentioned Dave was firm but fair ;)

Once they get a fixation that's it. Some get reps like wanting to fail brake pipes - had one who checked the petrol filler cap with a vengeance. It's pathetic really.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
More
17 Oct 2018 11:37 - 17 Oct 2018 12:00 #196837 by X8GGY

Ah... epic fail :(

Three of the eleven faults are because the anti rollbar disconnect was not bolted up...

Zanfi panhard bracket has a crack / fracture in it
Adjustable front panhard rod nut is loose
Front shocks are AVOs... hope the bushes can be changed?
Track rod end loose? Haven’t spotted that one yet, in Post Office today but S200KYS is parked outside...
Edit: just the lock nut is loose...
ARBs droplinks feel loose as it’s disconnected
Rear shocks loose? Repositioner brackets?
Oil leak from axle over brake disc hopefully just an oil seal?

Off Friday this week, so have a work list :(
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Oct 2018 12:00 by X8GGY.
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Oct 2018 12:42 #196838 by Lambert
Wow. At least they are fairly simple fixes.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
17 Oct 2018 12:47 #196839 by maverick
Simple fixes for a man of Dave’s ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
17 Oct 2018 16:41 #196840 by X8GGY
Simple fixes, yes, but that's what makes it more embarrassing missing them in the first place!

Mostly loose nuts...

Busy Sunday concentrating on the big issues and missed the little bits... and forgot to fasten the ARB disconnect back up?! Must have driven back from the Lakes with it still off?...
  • MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2018 18:56 #196842 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
I wouldnt say that a mechanic checking the filler cap is pathetic, its a list that have to be checked. A filler cap has to be closed/sealed because of fire hazard, spills etc. Its not the shops that make the rules. If they dont check that your brake pipes are good, and they fail after 100miles and you crash, whos fault is it then?
I dont want to be ”that annoying guy” but after working along side by people doing MOT’s daily and knowing the rules for faults i cant just say nothing. Here in norway there are new rules all the time, making it more difficult everytime to do a bad job. Everything is online and the department can pop by anytime and want to do a recheck just to see if its right. From 2019 we cant even do our own cars on the house, no close relatives, we have to go somewhere else.
Difficult yes, but you dont want to meet the car with shit tires and no brakes on the road :)
More
18 Oct 2018 05:40 #196848 by X8GGY
Agreed, they work to a list of things to check, and as I said earlier Dave is always firm but fair, and has spotted things I have missed...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadsV
More
19 Oct 2018 15:36 - 19 Oct 2018 15:53 #196872 by X8GGY
I wrote a big long post with lots of photos about fixing all the MOT failure items, but security blocked everything, and I'm not writing it all again... :angry:

Suffice to say all the points have been attended to...
Last edit: 19 Oct 2018 15:53 by X8GGY.
  • Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
19 Oct 2018 17:05 #196875 by Riccy
Nooo! thats happened to me before and ironically on this very post its just happened again...

If it does it to you again, try selecting the reply option from the bottom 'action' button on a post, magically everything re-appears ;-)

So is S200KYS re-tested and ready to rock, or yet to go back?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
More
20 Oct 2018 05:48 #196888 by X8GGY
Re-test around eleven this morning... they said they'd squeeze it in for me :)
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds