BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Suspension and Wheel Set Up

• Jimny08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2014 09:52 #106475 by Jimny08
Suspension and Wheel Set Up was created by Jimny08
Hi I'm new to the world of Jimnys and want to know whats the best suspension lift and wheel size to put on my 2008 Jimny without having to modify it too much apart from the above. I've read that some set ups eat clutches and require the gearing to be Changed? It's only used for a short commute daily road wise. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2014 10:15 #106476 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Suspension and Wheel Set Up
first off hello and welcome to this fine forum :cheer:

is a road only jimny or do you offroad it regularly?

• Jimny08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2014 11:21 #106478 by Jimny08
Replied by Jimny08 on topic Suspension and Wheel Set Up
Hi thanks, it's mainly road use with occasional off roading

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2014 11:34 #106479 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Suspension and Wheel Set Up
unless your occasional offroading is at hardcore pay and play sites i wouldnt bother lifting it, just fit a decent set of tyres and some under armour and maybe take the ARB off, there pretty capable even standard ;)

anything over a 215 75 15 tyre starts to dramaticly alter the gearing, people have ran upto 32" tyres without altering the gearing and not destroying clutches BUT you have to drive with ALOT of mechanical sympathy.

you can see the spec of mine in my signature, i do quite alot of green laning and ive not been stuck since fitting the mud tyres.

• Jimny08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2014 17:57 #106502 by Jimny08
Great Thankyou will those tyres fit on the standard alloys I have? I'm also planning on buying some steel rims could you Reccomend a make and also tyre make?
And just out of interest what would the next stage on from your Reccomendation be ie suspension lift etc

Thankyou for your time I have a lot of questions!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2014 18:05 - 28 Feb 2014 18:07 #106504 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Suspension and Wheel Set Up

Jimny08 wrote: Hi thanks, it's mainly road use with occasional off roading

I would seriously consider the Trailmaster lift kit.
www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/suspensio...t-kit/prod_1007.html
The trailmaster kit is great because it is tailored to the Jimny, and not some random US truck, like Rough Country and Pro Comp shocks are.

And the tyresize mentioned, 215/75/15 is fine for most offroading :)

Taller is not always better. I fact, keeping COG as low as possible is preferable for offroading.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2014 18:07 by TomDK.

More
02 Mar 2014 00:21 #106771 by robs5230
if you can afford them bfg km2 in 215 75 15 are the muts nuts and will do you just fine and go on standard rims . i run 195's which are similar in height just a little narrower and i run insa turbo tyres .there are a few options of lift kits out there and it's really down to your budget. the tyres will give you ground clearance and the lift articulation. if its the odd bit of laning i'd get the tyres first and the lift secondary.
i have said on many occasion, if i hadn't bought mine lifted i would have just put 195's or 215's on it and left the suspension standard. any lift puts strain on the drivetrain

standard jimny - for now

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2014 00:31 #106772 by TomDK

robs5230 wrote: any lift puts strain on the drivetrain

Please explain.

• Jimny08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2014 16:54 #106978 by Jimny08
Hi sorry if I'm going over old ground but will 215/75/15 fit my standard 2008 jimny I've read that there are issues with these on the bumpers?

More
03 Mar 2014 17:15 - 03 Mar 2014 17:17 #106979 by robs5230

TomDK wrote:

Please explain.

really ?? are you trying to test my knowledge to see if i may trip myself up ? if my post is incorrect it would be more beneficial to the original poster that you give the correct information / correct me.

in my opinion, bigger tyres will follow lift. bigger tyres = more stress on the gearing.
axles and gearbox / transmission will not be in the position they were designed to be in.
if caster correction is not applied, the axles will not be sat correctly. axle to radius arms mounts take a beating.
i'm talking about suspension not body lifts by the way

standard jimny - for now
Last edit: 03 Mar 2014 17:17 by robs5230.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2014 19:16 #107009 by TomDK

robs5230 wrote:

TomDK wrote:

Please explain.

really ?? are you trying to test my knowledge to see if i may trip myself up ? if my post is incorrect it would be more beneficial to the original poster that you give the correct information / correct me.

in my opinion, bigger tyres will follow lift. bigger tyres = more stress on the gearing.
axles and gearbox / transmission will not be in the position they were designed to be in.
if caster correction is not applied, the axles will not be sat correctly. axle to radius arms mounts take a beating.

I very much agree with you. Only your comment about any lift puts strain on the drivetrain that puzzled me.

Though I must say, fitting 215's on a 2" lift only adds very little strain, if any.
But 31" tyres fitted does put some strain on the CVs and shafts :)

More
03 Mar 2014 19:26 #107014 by robs5230

TomDK wrote:

robs5230 wrote:

TomDK wrote:

Please explain.

I very much agree with you. Only your comment about any lift puts strain on the drivetrain that puzzled me.

Though I must say, fitting 215's on a 2" lift only adds very little strain, if any.
But 31" tyres fitted does put some strain on the CVs and shafts :)

ok mate, sorry for biting.

standard jimny - for now

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds