BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

How not to tow your Jeep

More
19 Mar 2021 16:45 #233854 by IGNATUALA
www.thedrive.com/news/39794/rv-driver-an...t-towing-it-in-4-low

The video is ...errm... interesting! 

(Makes mental note never to do similar with Jimny)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2021 21:27 #233859 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic How not to tow your Jeep
I always noticed in the manual with the GEN3and GEN4 it says do not flat tow the car, it has to either be dollied with one set of wheels off the ground or use a flat bed.

More
19 Mar 2021 22:07 #233860 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic How not to tow your Jeep
They towed their Jeep in gear, and in low range.

l can't see why you wouldn't be able to tow a manual transmission Jimny (or a Wrangler for that matter) if the transmission was in neutral.

More
19 Mar 2021 22:13 - 19 Mar 2021 22:17 #233861 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic How not to tow your Jeep
Towing as they did is going to result in a large bill.

Jimny is front wheels on the floor, rear lifted if you want to tow according to Suzuki. All four on the floor is a not allowed apparently.
I can't understand myself why. Some say gearbox lubrication issues if the engines not running, but I don't fully understand this. But it is in the G3 handbook.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 Mar 2021 22:17 by Scimike.

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2021 00:05 #233862 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic How not to tow your Jeep
In the 80's/90's I used to Aframe an sj413 all over the country behind my Range Rover, never suffered any I'll effects. Furthest was from Bucks up to Scottish borders.

More
20 Mar 2021 11:41 #233864 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic How not to tow your Jeep
As far as I understand it, the issue with the Jimny is the way the gearbox is lubricated. The gearbox relies on the input side of the gearbox rotating in order to distrubute oil effectively. When the gearbox is in neutral and the engine is off this will not be spinning. With no option of netral in the transfer case the output side of the gearbox always spins with the wheels. Therefore parts of the gearbox will be spinning without recieving suitable lubrication. It is unlikely to be a problem towing for short distances (up to 10 miles or so) but if you were to strap one behind a motorhome and head off to the Costa del Expat then there is a good chance something will dry up and wear out.

The simple solution is to remove the rear prop before towing a long distance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
20 Mar 2021 19:34 - 20 Mar 2021 19:35 #233867 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic How not to tow your Jeep
That's good information, thank you, definitely one to remember.

And definitely don't tow it in gear, in low range !!
Last edit: 20 Mar 2021 19:35 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds