BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

The demise of the Defender

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Mar 2021 07:41 #234032 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The demise of the Defender
Aesthetically they missed the point by going retro but that's just me, I don't like retro styling. If I wanted a mechanically modern sj or lj I would build a restomod, a new car should look new, they managed it with the swift. Mechanically I love that the Jimny keeps itself true to itself with the solid axles and whilst I accept the need for the new technologies like tpms I would have preferred that a little more thought went into their operation so for example the pressure of the tpms alarm was programmable instead of a fixed parts bin special. 6 out of 10.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2021 09:51 #234037 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic The demise of the Defender

Groenewald wrote: What do you guys think of the direction Suzuki took with the Gen4?

I'm clearly biased as an owner, but I think Suzuki did a near-perfect job with Gen4, given the constraints around producing a car that meets modern safety regulations.  Aesthetically it's perfect - not a twee retro-pastiche like a Chrysler PT cruiser, but a design that maximises interior space while looking different to anything else on the round and having hints of the past. It manages to look cute without being girly and has road presence without being big. Genius design.

Less keen on the electronics and 'safety' systems, which are clearly just slapped on to get extra stars in safety tests, rather than adding anything worthwhile to the car or driving experience. More configurability in terms of disabling those functions (e.g. traction control when off-road, permanently disabling AEB etc) would have been nice. 

The engine hasn't been around long enough for me to have a real opinion. Although another 20bhp would have been nice, in truth 100bhp is enough and I'll swallow that and the relatively poor economy if it turns out to be bulletproof and cheap to maintain for the life of the car. If it doesn't then the basic normally-aspirated design hasn't been of any benefit and they should have just stuck a small turbo unit in.

Other than that I'd have liked to see better anti-corrosion from the factory and a volume knob for the stereo, but that's about it. It delivers exactly what most people wanted, a more modern Jimny with more power, better economy, more space and more comfort without losing any of the off-road capability. 

More
26 Mar 2021 10:02 #234038 by Roger Fairclough
Don't blame Suzuki for the TPMS system.

It's a legal requirement and as a result, you are not able to mess with the settings. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about changing the TPMS to suit personal requirements, but as you would be modifying a legal requirement you would be dabbling your boots in very murky waters.

The Gen 4 is an in your face proper 4x4 with no pretensions to be anything else. Its a box with nice square edges and I can get my 6' 2" frame into it with ease. I bought one because I loved the look of it and time hasn't dimmed that view. On a visual aspect the Gen 3 is close to the Gen 1 and the Gen 4 is close to the Gen 2.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Mar 2021 12:38 #234041 by Lambert
The requirements to have tpms is a legal one but the value it alarms at is on Suzuki as is the inability for it to be turned off when engaging 4x4 or low or even recognition of 4x4 and an accordingly lower alarm threshold. On a vehicle designed to be used off road fixed tyre pressure is a bad compromise to make.

More
26 Mar 2021 13:41 #234042 by Roger Fairclough
The legal requirement is for a visual - warning light on dash - and an audible - siren of some sort - to advise the driver that there is a problem.
it would be pointless to have the settings for either of these to be set so low that by the time they were activated, the tyres had been damaged or an accident had happened.
Bit like an idiot light for low oil pressure.
As far as I can ascertain, there is no provision in law for the system to be turned off if low range is selected. Probably because the number of vehicles that have that ability does not warrant a change in the law.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Mar 2021 17:43 #234047 by Lambert
So why not have a system that monitors for relative differences between the 4 tyres? It's somewhat unlikely that all 4 would collect a puncture and deflate at an equal rate, couple that to a minimum pressure for 4x2 driving and off we go. This is the problem with modern one size fits all driving aids.

More
26 Mar 2021 18:25 #234048 by Roger Fairclough
You've missed the point. If you give drivers the ability to con the system, they will because they don't like being told what to do, even if it is for their own safety. Covid rules are a case in point, don't travel, don't congregate because you are spreading the virus. Common sense but they still break the rules.
If you want to drive a 4x4 that doesn't have TPMS or any of the other safety related systems, then go and buy an SJ413 or early Defender or even a Fourtrack.
As to the comment about getting 4 flat tyres at the same time think again. Viv and I were on the M5 in Worcestershire when a skip shed a load of metal swarf that shred the tyres on a dozen or so cars. Bloody chaos and yes it's unusual but it happened and it's because of it that the powers that be keep coming up with their idea of what to do about it.
Whether we agree with it is irrelevant.

Roger

More
26 Mar 2021 21:23 - 26 Mar 2021 21:28 #234058 by lightning
Never had any issues with the TPMS on our 2020 SZ5, when l bought it second hand all the tyres were still at the factory 42psi.

The first owner had never noticed or checked, neither had the supplying dealer, although they'd only owned it a few months.

Reducing the tyre pressures to 26psi improved the ride quality no end, and l've never heard from the TPMS.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2021 21:28 by lightning.

More
26 Mar 2021 22:05 #234059 by Roger Fairclough
The first dealer carries out a PDI - Pre Delivery Inspection - and one item to check are the tyre pressures. 42 psi is not factory spec. The TPMS would not notice as it is set to show low pressure not high.

Roger

More
26 Mar 2021 23:16 #234060 by lightning
Sorry l meant the pressure put in the tyres from the factory for transportation to dealers.
Obviously the dealer should alter tyre pressures before sale.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Mar 2021 04:36 #234061 by Lambert
My Spare Jimny is equipped with tpms and gets upset below 26psi. Dreadnaught doesn't have tpms. Both have standard size road pattern tyres though Spare Jimny has more tread on her Bridgestone than Dreadnaught has on her bfg. Spare Jimny is automatic so should be better off road by virtue of the much smoother power delivery. And yet because Dreadnaught has 3 less psi in her tyres they conform to the terrain better on rocky lanes and self clean easier if they do fill up with mud and they don't cut through the grass as much because they have a longer footprint. Spare Jimny makes more fuss off road.

More
30 Mar 2021 21:06 #234131 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic The demise of the Defender
Every time I see the words Land Rover Defender - I just keep thinking how can this manufacture, with all their years of expertise and experience, produce vehicles that appear so fragile and main dealers that seem to struggle with after-sales services?

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds