BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

In a quandary... Buggy / Lockdown...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
18 Feb 2021 11:48 #232932 by X8GGY
I'm in a bit of a quandary...

When do you think we'll be let out to greenlane again?

I'm getting near the end of the buggy build, just the front brakes to re-plumb and some general tidying up at the end... So I was thinking of getting the Buggy MOT'ed at the beginning of March... But that then means I'd have to insure it to take it for the test... So I'd then have it insured and MOT'ed but probably unable to drive it...? So £45 for the MOT and £35 a month insurance...?

So do I wait until the beginning of April? The buggy's official inaugural trip is local to me on the 23rd of May so there would still be time to sort any MOT issues out, although I doubt they'll be much as virtually everything has been renewed during the build... and have a couple of local "shakedown" trips before rejoining the group, again, if im allowed out to test drive it?!..

And even then, will be allowed out in late May?!...

I also don't want to finish the buggy and sit and look at it sat there unused and I'd have "nothing to do" during lockdown, and the build is keeping me sane! (Although I'm sure the missus could find me plenty of jobs!) :lol:

So I'm considering having a few days off the build to make some new stock for ZookBOB, as I need the money from eventual sales...

So, it all goes back to... When do you think we'll be let out to greenlane again? :( 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2021 12:14 #232934 by mlines
I know the Goverment is saying "slowly, slowly" but I think the pressure will be really on them by mid-march and we will see "leisure trips" of the style of family visits to the beach and the old "groups of 6" back in the final week of March ready for Easter in the first weekend in April. This will be in-line with the Tier system where you can visit areas in the same tier. Full lockdown will become a postcode based system to hit local outbreaks.

Basically they will not be able to stop the masses from having day trips at Easter so they will fall in-line with that. They are in the unenviable position of never being right. If they are slow in "releasing" us that will be wrong and if they are fast in "releasing" us that will be wrong. 

We are targeting being able to go boating in April.

Just an opinion.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
18 Feb 2021 13:57 - 18 Feb 2021 13:58 #232944 by DrRobin
Just radio presenters speculating but this morning they said non-essential shops to open in mid April and Pubs/resturants a few weeks later.

At odds with this was an email I received last week from my sailing club, they open for 'Buddy Sailing' from end of March (this is no facilities) and open to all from end of the first week in April. They get their guidance from the RYA although how they know it will be okay I don't know.

Nicola suggested we should not go away at Easter.

It has been hinted that we won't go back to a tier system and this is going to be the last lockdown, so I am thinking it is going to drag on well in to Spring until all areas are Covid free.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 13:58 by DrRobin.

More
18 Feb 2021 14:45 #232945 by Soeley
How far away is the MOT station? If you towed it there and back, would you still need insurance for that?
Or insure it, MOT it, then freeze the insurance to be started up again when needed?

More
18 Feb 2021 14:56 #232948 by gv42
Get a one day insurance and get the garage to give you a trader plates if they have one set

More
18 Feb 2021 15:50 - 18 Feb 2021 15:54 #232950 by Scimike
One day insurance may be difficult when you get to the "has it been modified" bit
Trailer rental is cheap near me @£40 for the day (how much mear you?) or pay the garage to collect it / MOT as a package if they have the means?
Soeley - I believe you still need insurance to tow it, as its "on the road" according to the old bill.  
Plus you need to remember the Jimny do's and Don'ts about towing, which I can never recall!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 15:54 by Scimike.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Feb 2021 17:25 #232958 by Lambert
I think I would lay off for a couple of weeks and aim for your Big Trip, give them the chance to let us know what they are planning.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
18 Feb 2021 18:40 - 18 Feb 2021 18:41 #232965 by X8GGY
Thanks ALL...

I like to think about things pictorially...

There's thirteen Sundays and Wednesdays before we hope to get out... :woohoo:

But when will lockdown end... :ohmy:

I'll have a couple of Stellas and ponder this quandary...

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 18:41 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
19 Feb 2021 08:28 #232982 by X8GGY
Latest News this morning,,, "Wales to stay in lockdown for (at least) the next three weeks"... :( (obviously)

Having slept on it I think I'll just "carry on regardless" and get the Buggy ready for when we do eventually get the nod...

Frustrating times! 

More
19 Feb 2021 12:03 #232989 by maverick
I still have to get my arze into to gear to look at the October'20 MOT Advisories, hopefully if/when i locate my Mojo this weekend when making sure i have everything organised for my Rear Floating Axle kit.

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
19 Feb 2021 17:19 #233003 by Scimike
The "carry on" approach has its benefits. You get it MOT'ed and insured at leisure, with plenty of time to sort any issues and seek that insurance bargain. It gives you something to do in "lockdown" and the moment they say go out - you go out!
You can also use it for all "essential" trips and scare people in the supermarket car park, testing the all important pie warmer as you go.
mmmmmmmm pie

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
19 Feb 2021 18:17 #233005 by Roger Fairclough
I am in a quandary. Last July I ruptured my Achilles tendon. End of November I had reconstructive surgery. 3 weeks in a half cast, 6 weeks in a full cast and so far 6 weeks in an adjustable surgical boot, with another 3 weeks to go. Then I have to wean myself off the boot and see if I can walk normally. Sometime during this period I should be able to drive.

So have I been better off lounging about doing bugger all and being waited on hand and foot and been threatened by my ever suffering wife that she will be avenged.
or
If I hadn't tripped over the garden hose and done myself a mischief, would I feel any better that I wouldn't have been allowed to drive even if I could have.
Exclude all the pain and limping as that just blurs the facts, and the amount of drugs I have either swallowed or injected into my gut.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds