BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Octane rating behind fancy fantasy names.

More
02 Jul 2020 08:31 #224381 by HUN
Hi all,

In the continental Europe, the octane rating is clearly marked on the pump with the actual octane number (95, 98).
I'm struggling to find clear information on-line and at the petrol stations about which petrol is equivalent with unleaded 98 petrol in the UK.
I have half a tank of 6 months old petrol in my Jimny and another 10l in cans which is 10+ months old...not good for my Jimny or my Stihl saw either.

Which Shell and BP fuel is true alternative of 98 octane unleaded?

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2020 10:24 #224385 by 300bhpton
You have to watch octane ratings. There are lots of different grading systems; MON/PON/RON/AKI

I'm pretty sure most of the EU uses RON same as the UK.

More
02 Jul 2020 10:46 #224388 by Scimike
I am sure I have seen it marked on the last pump I used in the UK, I put some 99 in rather than the other 95 just for a laugh, so I must have been looking at something. Is it just a case of 98 or higher?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
02 Jul 2020 14:34 - 02 Jul 2020 14:35 #224389 by HUN
Basically the wierd reason why I'd like to use higher octane is because I don't use my petrol Jimny (or my chainsaw) as often as I used to do. As far as I know the 95 octane petrol goes off within a short period of time (2-6 months depending on storage temperature) causing all sorts of issues with delicate engine components when burns. 98 octane petrol has different additives/component hence it can be stored 'unlimited' time. This is the very same reason why classic cars run on 98 instead of 95.

So I would not mind to use any octane 95 and above if it's not exceeded it's vague 'Best before' date.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 02 Jul 2020 14:35 by HUN.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2020 15:04 #224390 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Octane rating behind fancy fantasy names.
The Jimny doesn't need it, all standard Japanese engines were built to run on 95 (Japan runs on 95). Your chainsaw could run on a long life fuel stabilizer which is good for over a year with no gummed up carb.
98 octane offers a more efficient burn but not much else, work out how much more it will cost you and then decide. If you don't burn much fuel then a can of Sta-Bil in the tank might help. As for stale fuel, get rid of it (donate it to a neighbour).
Chris

More
02 Jul 2020 15:46 #224392 by 300bhpton

HUN wrote: Hi all,

In the continental Europe, the octane rating is clearly marked on the pump with the actual octane number (95, 98).
I'm struggling to find clear information on-line and at the petrol stations about which petrol is equivalent with unleaded 98 petrol in the UK.
I have half a tank of 6 months old petrol in my Jimny and another 10l in cans which is 10+ months old...not good for my Jimny or my Stihl saw either.

Which Shell and BP fuel is true alternative of 98 octane unleaded?

Re-reading your post, I'm a little lost at what you are asking.

In the UK, normal unleaded petrol is 95RON. It should say at the pump and it is typically a green pump.

Some petrol stations will offer Superunleaded. This will have an octane rating in RON of 97 or higher. I think BP Ultimate is 97 RON. While Shell V-Power and Tesco T99 are 99 octane.

In a standard Jimny you need minimum of 95RON but can run higher octane. The higher the octane the more resistance to detonation. Which is handy in high compression engines and turbocharged engines. But it will do no harm in other petrol engines. And sometimes will yield better mpg and if the ECU can adapt, better bhp too, although the latter is in modern turbo charged cars mostly. Most superunleaded fuels also have more additives too, such as cleaners. Which are generally good to run through your engine.

More
02 Jul 2020 16:52 - 02 Jul 2020 16:53 #224400 by Scimike
Not all classic need 98, many owners just use it to avoid pre-ignition along with a lead substitute. All my classics have had the timing adjusted for 95 and are quite happy on it. All petrol will go off over time, I use a fuel stabiliser in the vehicles that don't move much.
I use this:
www.yachtshop.co.uk/646/products/quicksi...FohOBpBoCSBsQAvD_BwE

Others exist and check they are suitable for use with a CAT (Jimny), don't think the chainsaw will care. It really does work, fuel smells fresh and the petrol garden tools will start first pull with no lay up related issues.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Jul 2020 16:53 by Scimike.

More
02 Jul 2020 17:01 #224402 by HUN

300bhpton wrote: Re-reading your post, I'm a little lost at what you are asking.

In the UK, normal unleaded petrol is 95RON. It should say at the pump and it is typically a green pump.

Some petrol stations will offer Superunleaded. This will have an octane rating in RON of 97 or higher. I think BP Ultimate is 97 RON. While Shell V-Power and Tesco T99 are 99 octane.

Apologies if I did not phrase my sentences correctly! :pinch: My bad, I'm Hungarian. :woohoo:
But this time you actually answered my question! Thanks! ;)
I was confused with the different names like Superunleaded, Ultimate, V-Power, etc. and what RON rating they actually have.
I'm not planning to run the car on high octane fuel, just the normal 95RON. The high (97+) octane fuel is only for those long (3+ month) periods when I'm not using this car at all and keep it garaged. So I will use Ultimate or V-Power then for the last fill-up of the season. :whistle:

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds