BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

I don't often rant but....

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Dec 2019 06:56 - 01 Dec 2019 06:58 #216104 by Lambert
Why is it so bloody difficult for modern cars to be fitted with mud flaps or even have suitable aerodynamics as to minimize road spray? I went through to Leeds last night which is always hateful, I had topped up the screen wash in the afternoon and also cleaned the headlights etc and by the time I had got home I had drained my screen wash and was basically using the Force to see what was in front of me as the lights were effectively diseased glow worms. And all for what? Saving a tenners worth of fuel over the entire working life of a car? Mud flaps should be mandatory, preferably rally car size ones that actually work!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 01 Dec 2019 06:58 by Lambert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2019 07:10 #216105 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic I don't often rant but....
Fashion?
It's a bit like full mudguards on cycle, they are not seen as cool, so many put up with cyclists damp back.
Of course when you hit a certain age mudguards (and mudflaps) become a thing of beauty and impossible to do without.
I agree, must have accessories, but then I am over a certain age :laugh:
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 Dec 2019 09:40 #216113 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic I don't often rant but....
It's not just me then. Good to know.

More
01 Dec 2019 12:06 #216118 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic I don't often rant but....
I considered mudflaps.....then dismissed the idea in favour of having a storm follow me in the rain.......not a single tailgater at speed as their wipers can't keep up with the storm from 31's and a 4" lift lol.......

More
01 Dec 2019 12:09 #216119 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic I don't often rant but....
It's all about the triumph of 'style over function' or to be blunt - fashion!

As the marketing numpties dictate to the masses what is 'uber-cool' in their eyes, we the end-consumers are forced to buy what is available or not buy at all - which where cars are concerned makes life a tad difficult.

The automotive industry is also very scared of real innovation - let's face it, do you really need a steering wheel or would a joy stick suffice? Mud flaps are a challenge aesthetically but as Lambert indicates they have purpose and practical benefits.

More
01 Dec 2019 19:40 #216135 by jackonlyjack
Never follow me then :laugh: But like Keith says we never get tailgaters :lol:
Attachments:

More
01 Dec 2019 20:25 #216138 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic I don't often rant but....
I'm with you Lambert. It also helps keep your own car cleaner as well IMO.

More
01 Dec 2019 22:39 #216140 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic I don't often rant but....
My 2005 do not have any, but earlier jimny does. Dunno why. Where I live three cars is a que, and if I have to wait for two cars to pass before I can cross it is heavy traffic. My position is most times the last too so the odd aggressive audi driver can have my spray.

Does lorrys have the large and low mudflaps covering the whole rear of them in the UK?
I do not like those as they lift small stones and gravel up in the air..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
01 Dec 2019 22:42 #216141 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic I don't often rant but....
Anyways if you get too much spray, the car in front does not keep it's distance properly.
I never understood why modern cars have the radar in the front, they should pick up me at the rear trying to push them up to speed! :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Dec 2019 05:20 #216142 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic I don't often rant but....
I kinda take the point about tailgating but equally I am not about to sit at 40 mph in a 60 mph zone getting covered in road muck any longer than is absolutely necessary, things to be and people to do and all that.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds