BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Re:LIDL tools and stuff (from 26.09.19)

More
28 Sep 2019 07:23 #213959 by facade
I swung into Lidl and bought a supposedly 500Nm 240V rattle gun for £39.99. They have a 400Nm battery one for £60, and an intelligent charger for £14. The £12.99 mini compressor looks the same as the "heavy duty" one I got from Maplins, that actually manages to blow a tyre up before it bursts into flames.

I bought a cloth on a stick to wipe the windscreen of The Other Car without leaving the drivers seat for £1.99 too. ;)

www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/car-essentials/parks...impact-wrench/p25476

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2019 08:52 #213984 by Scimike
Thanks for the heads up.
I have a few of their intelligent chargers on my classic cars and bikes, work very well and a bargain for the money. Much better than the current Aldi XS version which is no longer as good.

How do people find rattle guns? A must have item for working on rusty bolts etc or just a lazy boy spanner?

interested to know your feedback.

I recently snapped exhaust studs on the MR2 even after using heat etc. They snapped as I eventually applied too much force,, I did wonder if a rattle gun would have been better. Even if the rattle gun had failed to undo it would have been an indicator to cut the bolts with a grinder, much better than snapped.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
29 Sep 2019 09:23 #213988 by facade
I find the rattle guns are good for rattling off those suspension bolts that are rusty and you can undo with your ratchet, but it takes ages and a lot of effort.
They are fine for loosening the crankshaft bolt, or anything that moves but has a lot of inertia.
They are useless at undoing anything springy, as the rattle just winds up the spring. I was trying to undo an 8" long bolt, that it turned out was threadlocked, and my other rattle gun just rattled it for ages. (Eventually I warmed up the exposed threads and undid it easily with a ratchet) I guess there was enough twist in the 8" of bolt and the socket extension to absorb all of the impact twist. I also couldn't undo a suspension bracket that the threads were inside a rubber bush, the rubber just absorbed the shock once the bolt moved.

They are much faster, it is one of those tools that I could really have used 30 years ago, but now I doubt if I will use it on more than 40 bolts during the rest of my life- so £1 a go when I get to the end ;)

I have air and a 110V versions already, but both take so long to get out that for a couple of bolts it is better to struggle, the 240V can just plug into the extension I use for the fan heater to defrost the windscreen.

What I really need now is one of those induction heaters that warm up seized nuts, and a laser de-ruster :)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
29 Sep 2019 09:35 #213990 by RainerK
I got a battery powered rattle gun a year ago and would want o miss it. Changing wheels, any nut, etc. is so much easier.

I also have a air powered one but did not use it a lot because with the hose etc. it just took me to long to get it set up.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Sep 2019 13:37 #214005 by Lambert
I have a rattle gun and it is ndispensable for me on the farm, saves loads of time and effort. The only thing I would suggest is that you get one with some actual guts as some of the off brand names are short on performance but large on marketing hype.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 11:52 - 01 Oct 2019 11:53 #214099 by GF68
Replied by GF68 on topic Re:LIDL tools and stuff (from 26.09.19)
Just nipped out to Lidl and bought one too!

I bought an 18V lightweight DeWalt one last month and it really surprised me at how good it was at getting my old very rusty towbar off, but at 200NM it struggled a bit on the tougher nuts.

Decided with all the other rusty stuff under mine that I plan to get to in due course, that a slightly more powerful unit would not be wasted and at £40 seems like a bargin.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2019 11:53 by GF68.

More
15 Oct 2019 08:30 #214779 by kirkynut
I think the difference between some of the cheaper ones that boast 400nm of torque etc is the batteries are not as good, so they will die long before the gun is dead.

I've got an old Machine Mart one that had Ni-Cad batteries. They didn't last long but it was really good when it worked. This must be its modern equivalent:

www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cir18lic-...ess-2ah--impact-wre/

I might use my Christmas money from my parents towards one!

I've got air but my gun isn't up to the job and the price of a suitable one isn't too far off this. Them there's the faff of getting it out!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2019 11:47 - 15 Oct 2019 11:48 #214790 by GF68
Well I used the Lidl Mains powered I bought last week to change all the wheel nuts on mine and it worked a treat!

I did try the DeWalt and it was working but was clearly making heavier weather of it, the LidL had them off in no time.

For £40 really hard to see how I could go wrong.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2019 11:48 by GF68.

More
15 Oct 2019 17:48 #214795 by Scimike

GF68 wrote:
For £40 really hard to see how I could go wrong.

Well I went in to Aldi at the weekend and they had sold out - very disappointed.

What does this prove?

Things can go wrong and I don't read the posts properly. :laugh:

So tonight I am trying again in Lidl for the rattle gun and one of those chargers. Better half wants a jar of peppers and some bananas, so bound to get something from this list. Wish me luck for the rattle gun.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GF68

More
15 Oct 2019 18:35 - 15 Oct 2019 18:37 #214797 by facade
Aldi were selling a similar charger, a not so good pump, and an OBD reader when I went in to pick up the Corale Baked Beans and the poverty crinkle cut chips last week.

I actually went for the conical drill bit set, but decided to get a set of HSS ones instead when I saw them.

Last edit: 15 Oct 2019 18:37 by facade.

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2019 09:35 #214811 by GF68
My local Lidl had loads a week ago, happy to take a trip over there at lunch time if people are going to the Big Meetup and want me to get them anything.

More
16 Oct 2019 09:52 #214813 by Dan
My local store sold out quick, three days in and they only had one left.

Looking forward to trying mine out when I swap over to winter tyres on the hatchback. The impact wrench feels super torquie! :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds