BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

When I Think of Lift

More
11 Jul 2018 14:41 #194194 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic When I Think of Lift
Years ago there was a lot of discussion on the Difflock.com board about people doing a "virtual lift"... the idea being you basically fitted large tyres - which afterall are the only mod that can get the axles and diffs off the ground - and cut the body away to suit...

That would give good ground clearance, good articulation with the right springs and shocks, whilst still maintaining a low centre of gravity, to stop the vehicle having a little lie-down, as in the OP.

Food for thought?

A Jimny on 32"s with a 6.1:1 crawler box and arches cut to suit the tyres (under articulation) ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2018 17:52 - 11 Jul 2018 17:53 #194197 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic When I Think of Lift
I think a virtual lift is ultimately the best solution, but it's a lot more work than fitting bolt on parts.
Tim Hardy get's it spot on with this SJ:

There are very few people that modify their cars with a sound understanding of what they are doing. Like Lambert says, most people fit a cheap lift kit to their Jimny before they even take it off-road, and most of the cheap kits seem to offer worse articulation than standard springs. I've found the more I learn about suspension geometry, spring rates, gearing etc. the less inclined I am to modify a vehicle at all. My Jimny gets everywhere I want on standard suspension and 215/75r15s. I'm very happy with it, and know that to gain extra performance in any particular area would be either expensive or lead to compromises in other areas. My ideal Jimny would be on skinny 31s with a virtual lift, lockers, lower gearing and 120hp, but I don't have the time or money to build it at the minute. Some are happy putting lots of time and money in, buying the right kit and build great vehicles as a result. Many others are clueless, fit big lift, big tyres then wonder why their clutch has gone or they keep falling over.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 17:53 by Busta.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2018 19:46 - 11 Jul 2018 19:47 #194202 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic When I Think of Lift
My Jimny's on 33" silverstones. But the actual height is only 32". Didn't have to cut the arches all that much. More like trimming around footwell and similar at the rear wheels.

All that talk of lift. Don't always understand why. From time to time there's the usual talk of how massive and huge a jimny is om 35" tyres. But in reality it's still a Fiat Panda sized vehicle with big tyres. some even call it a truck.. seriously!!??

I like the idea of lifting it to serve a purpose.
I've always run on 30" Special Tracks, and worked great. Wasn't too tall or too wide. Worked great for danish mud, all on a 2" lift and a 10mm bodylift mainly due to easier cleaning and maintenance.
Then when going to Croatia last year for the WBVC I knew I had to fit bigger tyres due to all the rocks. Turned out to be a good idea. Also fitted Zanfi +3" diesel springs. Turned out springs were too soft for a challenge ready jimny at 1600 kg's incl driver and co-driver. But other than that. It went pretty well.

Now on 33's we attended a winch challenge here in denmark. With more technical sections than we experienced in croatia. More driving along sideslopes and such, and as such. Due to some bad luck, driving error, co-driving error, we rolled over 3 times that weekend. Never before had I done something like that.

So long story short. big tyres and lift is not always the way forward.

And if you want massive tyres and lift to make it look huge. Buy a bigger 4x4 :)

BTW:
Soon having lots of axle parts up for sale. ARB lockers, HD shafts, 22/26 splines, disc brake conversion and such :)
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 19:47 by TomDK.

More
11 Jul 2018 21:16 #194207 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic When I Think of Lift
Any who i bought these new tyres,

Do you think i'll need to trim the arches and alter the gearing, The car is bog standard.:whistle: :whistle:

It's been fettled just a tad.
Attachments:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2018 21:40 #194211 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic When I Think of Lift
I think you should go for it... Definitely :D

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2018 22:17 #194213 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic When I Think of Lift

Jezz wrote: Any who i bought these new tyres,

Do you think i'll need to trim the arches and alter the gearing, The car is bog standard.:whistle: :whistle:

Don't think you will be able to hang the spare on back door though ;)

More
12 Jul 2018 10:42 #194231 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic When I Think of Lift
It's alright Dan, I'm going to mount it on the roof. I've been told it will help lower the C.O,G.

It's been fettled just a tad.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2018 11:24 #194234 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic When I Think of Lift
:laugh: :lol: :laugh: :woohoo:

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
18 Jul 2018 00:39 #194410 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic When I Think of Lift
I have been wanting to thank everyone for a lot of good comments but yesterday was the first day I could log back in. At first I thought Martin had become tired of me and gave me the boot. Thankfully he was able to fix the problem.

Of course, we've been dealing with this at the same time:

Welcome to the Philippines

I think Daniel helped me with his comment about people lowering cars. My brain was stuck on the focus of modding a Jimny should be primarily for off-road performance. Going after looks would be secondary. Growing up in California (which I think may have been the birthplace of low-riders) I was able to refocus that people often have looks as the primary with performance as the secondary goal.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
18 Jul 2018 22:57 #194439 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic When I Think of Lift
Here's an unexpected reason (as if you didn't know), as well as needing a motor that will do steps, kerbs, fields or whatever I like to be high up. See over the top of Discovery ones or even hedges to see what's coming round the next bend or wave to a friendly farmer in the field.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jul 2018 04:36 #194442 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic When I Think of Lift
See over the top of a discovery one?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds