BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

A few rocks....

More
23 May 2018 15:35 #192881 by sniper
A few rocks.... was created by sniper
Stumbled onto a lane at Castleton which is a little contentious with locals, it passes a quarry and lots go off the lane and ride bikes/4x4 on the old quarry. You can understand why, it's a cracking place but I'm a sheep and stuck to the lane.

I chose to ride downhill after reading the review on the peak authority website, I was alone and gravity... generally helps progress.......

The off lane bits look well abused and you can understand why locals might be a bit pissed, lots of bikes at the weekends according to spy cameras.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 May 2018 15:42 #192882 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic A few rocks....
That's a pretty spot. Nice!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• mdog18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2018 16:09 #192883 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic A few rocks....
Looks good - might have to take a trip and check it out. How long was the lane?

More
23 May 2018 17:27 - 23 May 2018 18:12 #192884 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic A few rocks....
I'd be happy to do the lane with you mdog18, midweek anytime, now I've seen the the town side and how to avoid most of the occupied area.

Having seen the impact of what goes off at the weekends and read the Peak District report on the lane, I'd rather not visit at weekends and also not encourage others to do so.

I've travelled a few lanes / boats across the upper and lower peaks. Not just the "off road" bits but fantastic driving on back roads that keep you entertained at 30mph and give ( in my opinion ) the best scenery in the country. Today, I stopped and had a few minutes watching goats roam free on Black Tor.

I'm lucky and have a ride out in the area most weeks now, anyone visiting the peaks midweek who wants to meet up, give me a shout.

I only travel on what I assume to be legal rights of way, I research as best I can but am human.

I don't venture off lanes, onto private land, I've got mates with farm land and it really can be a pain.

sniper
Last edit: 23 May 2018 18:12 by sniper.

More
24 May 2018 10:35 #192906 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic A few rocks....
Sorry mdog18, the lane is about 3/4 of a mile long with a fair gradient in places and a few rocky lumps that would test a modified truck.

My suspension is standard height and I found a pretty smooth path down but had to be very steady in a couple of spots. I'd be happy to climb it on my next visit, perhaps with 16psi in my tyres.

Try not to enter off the high st, there are some angry locals that may be difficult and there is no point in aggravating any existing angst.

You can't avoid the houses at the bottom of the quarry, be slow..... I pulled over for five minutes whilst two young mums with prams walked up a narrow part, they thanked me and were pleasant.

My jimny looks very standard and quite shiny, I tend to go unnoticed and I always drive considerately. Locals seem to not see me, which is just what I want....

sniper

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds