BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

What do you do?

More
27 May 2019 18:16 - 27 May 2019 18:17 #209080 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic What do you do?
After serving 22 years in the Royal Air Farce, (I left in 2000), I ended up as a civvie on a military contract which took me back to all the good places like Afghanistan and Iraq which were always interesting :S I did that for the next 15 years before switching to a contract nearer home, but this was also another military contract.
So I'm now working on converted Airbus A330s used for air-to-air refuelling.
The A330 is the biggest and most complex aircraft I've worked on to date.

Anything heavier than air that can fly has fascinated me since I was a kid.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 May 2019 18:17 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2019 18:43 #209081 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic What do you do?

Max Headroom wrote: After serving 22 years in the Royal Air Farce, (I left in 2000), I ended up as a civvie on a military contract which took me back to all the good places like Afghanistan and Iraq which were always interesting :S I did that for the next 15 years before switching to a contract nearer home, but this was also another military contract.
So I'm now working on converted Airbus A330s used for air-to-air refuelling.
The A330 is the biggest and most complex aircraft I've worked on to date.

Anything heavier than air that can fly has fascinated me since I was a kid.

You get paid for this? :woohoo:

Cool Job award to you, Sir. :) B)

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 May 2019 19:21 #209084 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic What do you do?
Kinda makes being a sheep breeder feel a bit lame! Keep on keeping us safe. And the same goes for the rest involved with the military.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom, stiffsteve204me

• Caelite
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2019 19:43 #209087 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic What do you do?
Been floating around different professions in recent years. Have been a class 2 driver, went back to college to study engineering, in the process of failing that whilst working part time as a contractor servicing gensets, and as a self employed courier for the NHS (which I use the Jimny for, it gets all over NW Scotland). I'm probably one of the few folks firing 30k/year on to a Jimny, but it is the perfect vehicle for my needs.

• Ash97x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2019 07:12 #209109 by Ash97x
Replied by Ash97x on topic Re:What do you do?
Here’s a view from my office. 70km west of shetland on the Clair Ridge project as a production tech. Weather hardly looks like this up here though!!!

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2019 07:14 #209110 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:What do you do?
Wow, looks like something out of a Mad Max film :)

More
28 May 2019 07:36 #209113 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Re:What do you do?
Do? Do?

Pretty much, whatever I feel like doing.

Retirement is a wonderful thing. :laugh:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 May 2019 10:03 #209121 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:What do you do?

Ash97x wrote: Here’s a view from my office. 70km west of shetland on the Clair Ridge project as a production tech. Weather hardly looks like this up here though!!!

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for all the tea in China! I hope they are paying you well!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ash97x

More
28 May 2019 10:58 #209125 by johnjohanaphy
Replied by johnjohanaphy on topic What do you do?
I used to work for an automobile factory in England that shall remain nameless, now am retired and living in the Philippines with my wife

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

More
28 May 2019 21:07 #209154 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic What do you do?
Well I have spent 35 years of my life working as an Electrical Engineer for a large power generation company unitl 2014 when I started my midlife crisis....:laugh:
No seriously, I left and went to build bicycles at Halfords until 2 months ago when I realised I hate customers more, so just gone back to engineering.
Picture of me on top of 3.6MW wind turbine, saving the planet and all that, before Halfords.

HOWEVER if I am being honest I wish I had a job like Max. I also have the same fascination with anything heavier than air that can fly, from a small child to this day I stand in awe at any aircraft, even love to watch the birds.

Here is a picture of my first model aircraft taking to the sky when I was 13, a Keil Kraft Kamco Kadet with Futba M 27mhz (before CB - boo!) 4 channel radio. I need to thank my parents for spending what was a lot of money in those days to start a life long hobby.

That's what I do !

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:

More
28 May 2019 21:27 - 28 May 2019 21:31 #209155 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic What do you do?

stiffsteve204me wrote:

You get paid for this? :woohoo:

Cool Job award to you, Sir. :) B)

Steve.

Thank you Steve and Lambert.

It's just a job - but I've been lucky enough to travel to some amazing places that Westerners dont normally get to see and I'm still in awe that these huge things can generate so much power and lift so much weight.
It has its downsides though - I've been to some really grim places, stayed in some hell-holes you would never want to go see, and seen a lot of bad/upsetting stuff, been shot at more times than I care to think about too.
The best part of the job - travelling to unusual places, staying in some nice hotels all over the world for weeks at a time sometimes,
The worst part of the job - fixing/servicing the toilet tanks :sick: unbelievably long hours; night shifts. regularly doing 20+ hour flights to the Falklands :(

Scimike, I did the radio models on 27mhz too - a Dave Boddington Tyro was my first flyer.
Jeez you have a head for heights - that wind-turbine would freak me out!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 28 May 2019 21:31 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2019 19:44 #209194 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic What do you do?
Well, at the risk of no one talking to me again...... I have 33 years in the police force. Done everything from firearms to CID. For the past 5 years have been working in the child sex exploitation department. I have 18 months left before retirement..... then who knows what i will do? Although i think SWMBO might have some ideas.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds