BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

EU referendum debate

More
30 Jun 2016 07:47 #169334 by facade
Replied by facade on topic EU referendum debate
Author : Benjamin Timothy Blaine

Can I check that I've understood this correctly ?

The leader of the opposition campaigned to stay but secretly wanted to leave.
His party has held a non-binding vote to shame him into resigning so someone else can lead the campaign to ignore the result of the non-binding referendum which looks like a lot of angry people trying to shame politicians into seeing they'd all done nothing to help them.

Meanwhile, the man who campaigned to leave because he hoped losing would help him win the leadership of his party, accidentally won and ruined his chances because the man who thought he couldn't lose, did.
He resigned, however, before actually doing the thing the vote had been about.

The man who had always thought he'd lead next campaigned so badly that everyone thought he was lying when he said the economy would crash -and he was, but it did.
He's not resigned but, like the man who lost and the man who won, also now can't become leader.

This means that the woman who quietly campaigned to stay but always said she wanted to leave is likely to become leader instead

It also means that she holds the same view as the leader of the opposition but for opposite reasons, but her party's view of this view is the opposite of the opposition's. The opposition aren't yet opposing anything because the leader isn't listening to his party, who aren't listening to the country, who aren't listening to experts or possibly paying that much attention at all.

However, none of their opponents actually wants to be the one to do the thing that the vote was about, so there's not yet anything on the table to oppose anyway.
And if no one ever does the thing that most people asked them to do, it will be undemocratic but if anyone ever does it, it will be a catastrophe

Just about sums things up nicely. B)

I also heard that there is growing support for appointing Roy Hodgson as PM because "He is a man who can get us out of Europe fast" :laugh:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2016 08:24 #169335 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic EU referendum debate
Now thats funny. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
30 Jun 2016 08:48 #169336 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic EU referendum debate
I suspect we all thought remain would romp home to victory. After all, who was standing up for the leave side in the early days. Think back say 12 months and your viewpoint then. I expect Cameron suggested to Sturgeon at the time of the Scottish referendum that any referendum on leaving the EU would be a whitewash-win for remain. Sturgeon gets a lot of aid from the EU as well as aid from the UK. I feel that what she gets from the EU comes out of what the UK contributes to it. Scottish oil revenues have dropped from £8m to £ ½ m - untenable.
I suspect Boris came into the leave camp in order to try and gain some more popularity in the country for reasons I will outline later knowing it was expected remain would romp home and, even if not, that Cameron would be the captain of the ship. After all he did say (Cameron) "If we leave the EU we will be quitters and we are not quitters" - yes of course David. So the first thing he does is quit. Maybe Boris would have seen this coming but I expect most of us common folk expected Cameron not to quit; possibly never even considered it so why should Boris. Interestingly it now transpires that Cameron told the civil service not to do any work on the plans for leaving the EU ostensibly claiming that any leak of such plans would weaken the remain argument. Me, I think he had no intention even then of seeing it through. We needed someone to champion the leave side to counteract the government machine most of whom fail to understand the plight of the average Hartlepool man.
So to dump the job on somebody else who has no more say or clout then most is entirely unfair and has led to this short term chaos.
As for May, I have seen how the Tory party can be very bitter about blame. One thing us oldies have is a far reaching experience of how things have gone in the past; can see how the EU has changed since it was the Common Market and can see what the Tories do to their own. Despite the fact that Cameron brought this on himself by offering a referendum in the first place the party will aim their hate at Boris and IMHO it is unfair. How we all would have voted had Boris not campaigned we will never know but the country sees him now as the leavers emblem and for the Tories to put May in place rather than Boris could be their undoing. In fairness, had Cameroon seen his Prime Ministership through to the end of this term, and do not forget he said he would do no more terms, then I think May would have been a great choice. I mentioned blame earlier. Cameron gave us the referendum and it is his fault or at least the fault of the Tory elite who agreed to it with him, in the same way Cameron has to shoulder some of the blame for Boris stepping up to the plate to support the leave campaign. This is because he let it slip at his home that he was going to step down at the end of this term in office. You could almost hear the queue forming to take his place. He encouraged a leadership contest back then. Very astutely May kept quiet.
And I haven't even begun talking about the EU itself.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
30 Jun 2016 12:33 #169341 by facade
Replied by facade on topic EU referendum debate
I see Boris has just announced he definitely doesn't want the poisoned chalice. :)

If Gove gets to be PM I'm emigrating: I reckon I could cash in my pension early and live like a King in quite a few warmer places B)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2016 15:40 #169347 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic EU referendum debate

facade wrote: I see Boris has just announced he definitely doesn't want the poisoned chalice. :)

If Gove gets to be PM I'm emigrating: I reckon I could cash in my pension early and live like a King in quite a few warmer places B)

Blimey I would already be gone !!! :woohoo: :whistle:

More
30 Jun 2016 19:26 #169363 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic EU referendum debate
Take a deep breath first, Made me chuckle.

So, let me get this straight... the leader of the opposition campaigned to stay but secretly wanted to leave, so his party held a non-binding vote to shame him into resigning so someone else could lead the campaign to ignore the result of the non-binding referendum which many people now think was just angry people trying to shame politicians into seeing they'd all done nothing to help them.

Meanwhile, the man who campaigned to leave because he hoped losing would help him win the leadership of his party, accidentally won and ruined any chance of leading because the man who thought he couldn't lose, did - but resigned before actually doing the thing the vote had been about. The man who'd always thought he'd lead next, campaigned so badly that everyone thought he was lying when he said the economy would crash - and he was, but it did, but he's not resigned, but, like the man who lost and the man who won, also now can't become leader. Which means the woman who quietly campaigned to stay but always said she wanted to leave is likely to become leader instead.

Which means she holds the same view as the leader of the opposition but for opposite reasons, but her party's view of this view is the opposite of the opposition's. And the opposition aren't yet opposing anything because the leader isn't listening to his party, who aren't listening to the country, who aren't listening to experts or possibly paying that much attention at all. However, none of their opponents actually want to be the one to do the thing that the vote was about, so there's not yet anything actually on the table to oppose anyway. And if no one ever does do the thing that most people asked them to do, it will be undemocratic and if any one ever does do it, it will be awful.

Clear?

It's been fettled just a tad.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2016 22:44 #169373 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic EU referendum debate
Enters from left, makes smug chortling sound, grabs the chalk and heads to chalkboard... :evil:

Hey hey it's day before Election Day here in Oz. 1st Day of July, half way through a wet n weary Winter.

More
05 Jul 2016 21:40 #169603 by helijohn
So the next stage is who will be the best PM to lead us through the process of leaving.
Having had Cameron offer the referendum and promptly quit despite saying he was not a quitter and in the process making sure there was no government machine in place to deal with the result we had I think it needs to be a team rather than just the single person of prime minister. IMHO Boris seemed to have had the ideal team but sadly we will never know.
I cannot assess how the Tory membership will vote.

• gokturkmehmet
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2016 21:48 #169604 by gokturkmehmet
Replied by gokturkmehmet on topic EU referendum debate
as an outsider,
I am expecting a political turbulence. elections together with a new referandum. And Cameron back on stage. They are just waiting for heat build up. I might be wrong but it is doable.

More
05 Jul 2016 22:29 #169606 by helijohn

gokturkmehmet wrote: as an outsider,
I am expecting a political turbulence. elections together with a new referendum. And Cameron back on stage. They are just waiting for heat build up. I might be wrong but it is doable.

I will be very very surprised if another (UK) referendum comes about. I don't expect a general election but then I am no prophet. Cameron is a dead duck and has been a traitor to us all in all of this. He will be branded with this as Blair has been with Iraq...........to my mind there is no coming back even in a minor role but that is my wishful thinking.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gokturkmehmet

• Northern-Wanderer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2016 22:47 #169608 by Northern-Wanderer
Replied by Northern-Wanderer on topic EU referendum debate

gokturkmehmet wrote: as an outsider,
I am expecting a political turbulence. elections together with a new referandum. And Cameron back on stage. They are just waiting for heat build up. I might be wrong but it is doable.

We live in a democracy,Already had the vote and remain lost,some people like Branson,Geldof etc dont seem to be able to understand.They will have to get over it.

More
06 Jul 2016 04:18 #169611 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic EU referendum debate

Northern-Wanderer wrote:
We live in a democracy,Already had the vote and remain lost,some people like Branson,Geldof etc dont seem to be able to understand.They will have to get over it.

+ 1

But not so sure anymore, don't forget to add that war criminal Tony to the above list

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds