BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Brakes

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2011 21:50 #25398 by happypig
Brakes was created by happypig
Had the calipers changed on my Saab today as they were binding and driving home from the garage I noticed that the pedal has further travel than it used to have and it feels a bit spongy. If I punp the pedal 3/4 times it stiffens up but then steady pressure on it pushes it down.
The brakes seem to work ok, I tried a few hard stops on the way home and it was ok.
Do the new calipers need to "bed in" a bit, or should I go back to the garage (they are a local indy that I have used for several years and have a good reputation).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2011 22:41 #25402 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Brakes
Sounds like they've not bled them enough. Does the pedal go hard when you have the engine off?

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2011 22:49 #25404 by happypig
Replied by happypig on topic Re: Brakes
Errr, think so.

More
08 Nov 2011 23:06 #25407 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Brakes
If the pedal needs pumping with the engine off before it goes hard(a few pumps is normal, to use up the vacuum) they've not been bled - thats a starting point. If you keep the pressure on with the engine off still and the pedal slowly goes down its the same issue.
They will have put new pads in of course so will need to bed in (don't do too much HEAVY braking for about 100-200 miles) but you should feel an immediate bite still and the pedal should be firm.

They should have noticed immediately if they checked before handing back the car. If they have bled them and all was of it could be as simple as a loose union.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds