BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Sell your bits!
NOTE: This is for members and their private sales/wants.
There are rules that suppliers have to follow (and many of you do follow the rules). However there have been a number of instances recently where "suppliers" have broken the rules.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum

wanted jimny 07 manual gearbox

More
30 Jul 2021 16:31 #237164 by standard2007
anyone have a gearbox to sell for my 2007 jimny?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2021 17:45 - 30 Jul 2021 17:45 #237166 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic wanted jimny 07 manual gearbox
I'm in the same boat with my 2011 Jimny, the R72 box is like hen's teeth. 

I'm looking at just reconditioning my current box.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 17:45 by Podge.

More
30 Jul 2021 20:48 #237173 by standard2007
mine is leaking fluid, seal has been done so a crack in the casing is suspected.

More
30 Jul 2021 21:19 #237174 by Roger Fairclough
Cracks in casings require force or incorrect assembly to happen. It is possible to have a porous casting but this would leak from new.

So, how many miles has the box done, has it suffered accident damage and what seal was replaced?

Roger

More
31 Jul 2021 09:34 #237189 by standard2007
Hi Roger. I bought the jimny at 95k about 2 months ago, done around 800 miles since then. The guy I bought it off said there had been a gearbox leak but it had been fixed by Bristol Gearboxes, there is a receipt from them saying they 'welded inner core plug' 130 gbp.(warranty period over)

I took it to a garage I use to change the clutch and investigate the leak, as it was still leaking, they fitted a new rear oil seal to the gearbox and said the leak was fixed, but it wasn't.

No accident damage as far as I can see or reported in the cars history, I'll call Bristol gearboxes and ask exactly what it was they did, maybe that will clarify.

I think maybe the gearbox has some fault now plus the leak, there is a high pitch whine, almost a whistle in 4th and 5th..

More
31 Jul 2021 11:28 #237193 by mlines
The common leak on these is the plug inside the yoke of the mini prop. Take the prop off, clean it up and epoxy the plug over.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
31 Jul 2021 11:32 #237194 by standard2007
Thanks Martin, It's back in the garage on monday so I'll pass that on.

More
03 Aug 2021 20:22 #237286 by standard2007
The leak is fixed, they replaced the gearbox rear tail shaft seal. Also the oil was topped up on the front diff' as there is a slight leak from the drivers side hub seal, so I'll get that fixed next. The high pitch whine / whistle must be the diff as it was the same after the gearbox seal was done and only got much quieter after the diff was topped up.

I'll still look for a replacement gearbox as this one feels kind of worn out, everything feels loose and gearstick travel and engagement is floppy, but the jimny is driveable and not leaving a pool of oil where I've parked.

More
04 Aug 2021 17:35 #237300 by standard2007
The leak is unfixed. After talking to the mechanic it turns out he totally disregarded the info I gave him from Martin and just changed the rear gearbox seal again even though I told him that had been done recently, so waste of time and 140 quid.

As I understand it there are 2 versions of the mini prop shaft the one with the weak adhesive which is prone to leaking and the one which suzuki provides which addresses that problem, do they have different part numbers so one can distinguish between the 2?

I also read on another thread, a comment by cgauer, regarding a possible recall issue for this very problem, is there any further clarification?

I called suzuki UK re' this and the guy I spoke to said he'd never heard of this problem and that there are no recalls for my jimny.

I called a guy called Zak at Wyke Motors in Yorkshire, he was fully aware of it and said it would be a quick fix at 60 quid, he would replace the mini prop. So at the moment I'm thinking of taking the car to him for that and a bit more work that needs doing, anyone familiar with Wyke Motors?

More
04 Aug 2021 21:31 #237307 by Roger Fairclough
If you pay money out to fix a problem then you have the right to expect that the problem is fixed. As the repair has not succeeded you are in a strong position to complain and if necessary take the garage to a small claims court.

Roger

More
24 Aug 2021 17:09 - 24 Aug 2021 17:19 #237843 by standard2007
Update, Wyke Motors in Yorkshire, fixed the leak with a changed mini prop,and another rear gearbox seal, the old one only fitted a couple of weeks earlier was pretty chewed up, makes me think some problem with the old prop was damaging the seal as it was changed 3 times in all and it's not happening now with the changed prop.

So now the jimny sounds almost normal driving around town but on the motorway at 50 and over there is a loud sound like a sewing machine, (I've had a few jimny's and never heard this sound before) it's speed changing with the speed of the car, it's still there if you engage the clutch and coast or if you put it in neutral. As both the gearbox and the front diff had varying amounts of oil due to the leaks as I've been driving, it could be either, is there a way to determine if the noise is coming from the gearbox or the front diff? Or I guess it may be something else entirely.. Any ideas?

I'm on the lookout for a tailgate, the dark green metalic.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2021 17:19 by standard2007.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Aug 2021 17:38 #237844 by Lambert
If the 4x4 system is as designed then the front diff is static when in 2wd so can be ruled out. Depending on the pitch of the noise it could be something as simple as an exhaust heat shield?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds