BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Sell your bits!
NOTE: This is for members and their private sales/wants.
There are rules that suppliers have to follow (and many of you do follow the rules). However there have been a number of instances recently where "suppliers" have broken the rules.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum

Wanted Jimny!

• AShah
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2021 20:18 #236578 by AShah
Wanted Jimny! was created by AShah
Hi all! 

Warning - I’m a complete newbie to the Jimny world!

Have been keeping my eyes out for a Jimny for much of the past months and suddenly wondered onto this forum. Clearly haven’t been looking in the right places until now.

I’ve just seen a Jimny on auto trader and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it? Am going to view but would be great to have any advice or suggested questions to ask. It seems low mileage and well maintained. Does the price seem reasonable? 

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102088827793

Thanks so much in advance for any guidance!! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2021 21:10 - 10 Jul 2021 21:12 #236579 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Wanted Jimny!
lt looks nice enough but the MOT history shows a failure in 2019 for corrosion on both rear suspension mountings and a seat belt anchorage.

Obviously this will have been repaired, but the vehicle warrants close inspection for structural integrity.

Maybe an AA/RAC or similar inspection would be the next step if you are genuinely interested in buying it.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2021 21:12 by lightning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AShah

• AShah
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2021 23:30 #236580 by AShah
Replied by AShah on topic Wanted Jimny!
Yes, I saw that. Hoping to take a closer look when I visit it but apart from looking for rust not sure what else. If it looks good I think RAC/AA sounds like a sensible next step! If any other pointers please do share. Thanks so much lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jul 2021 04:41 #236581 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Wanted Jimny!
Have a look at the buying guide in the information section on the top banner. Beyond that 2005 is the start of the weaker manual gearbox period and at 78k it's likely that it will not have been touched yet meaning a potential 500 plus quid bill is waiting for you.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• AShah
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2021 08:21 #236582 by AShah
Thanks this is very helpful! Ah yes I was going with the 05 later gearbox as I thought it was slightly stronger than it’s predecessor. Hmm let me ask the seller when I see the car if any work has been done on it he gearbox but as you say seems unlikely. Thanks!

• AShah
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2021 14:31 #236585 by AShah
Thanks for the advice so far. Viewed the car in person today. Any thoughts on the level of rust that is currently present? I've read various threads on this forum but just trying to decide if this is relatively surface level and can be resolved or its worth going for a totally different Jimny. 

Thanks! 

More
12 Jul 2021 07:41 #236606 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Wanted Jimny!
For £4000 I'd want something a lot better than that. My 2000 looked a lot better than that- I should have kept it really, but I'd never have got a GEN 4, and it was starting to show signs of body corrosion.

I don't like the oil staining on the bell housing, could be trouble with that gearbox.

It is mostly what they call "surface rust" which means it might wirebrush off and leave some metal behind, but it shows neglect over a few salty Winters.

The places to check for rust are the flange under the headlights inside the bonnet, the boot floor where the tools live, and under the rear seats.
They go beneath the rear bumper at the back too, but it is hard to see.

As mentioned before, I'd be looking at what was done to get it through that previous MOT.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• AShah
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2021 17:16 #236637 by AShah
Thanks so much Facade, this is really helpful and appreciated!

After some thinking I have decided to pass on it and the search goes on. Really helpful to have all these tips and have a better sense of what to look out for! If anyone is looking to sell do please get in touch.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds