BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Sell your bits!
NOTE: This is for members and their private sales/wants.
There are rules that suppliers have to follow (and many of you do follow the rules). However there have been a number of instances recently where "suppliers" have broken the rules.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum

Wanted: Kingpin Bearing Kit

More
06 Jul 2021 21:40 #236466 by Yorkshirejimnys
Hi All, does anyone have or know the best place to get Suzuki Jimny Front Axle Kingpin Swivel Joint Bearings, Swivel Seal & Kingpins kit, Thanks. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2021 22:07 - 06 Jul 2021 22:13 #236467 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Wanted: Kingpin Bearing Kit
Martin from the big Jimny Shop, link above.
The correct parts that fit and last. This is simply customer feedback, I have fitted the parts he supplies and they are still going strong.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 06 Jul 2021 22:13 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yorkshirejimnys

More
07 Jul 2021 07:00 #236469 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Wanted: Kingpin Bearing Kit
If you are fixing steering wobble or oil leaking onto the swivels you only need the bearings and the small driveshaft seal. The king pins themselves shouldn't wear and the big swivel seal is just a dust seal. Even new they don't keep anything in or out.
The bearings required are 30302 taper rollers. The brand is irrelevant because it's corrosion that ruins them and none have any corrosion resistance.
But best to get a genuine Suzuki driveshaft seal though. They are about £6 on a popular auction site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yorkshirejimnys

More
07 Jul 2021 10:32 #236478 by Yorkshirejimnys
Thanks for the info!

More
07 Jul 2021 10:36 #236479 by Yorkshirejimnys
Oh I didn’t know that, appreciate the info Busta!

More
07 Jul 2021 13:43 - 07 Jul 2021 13:44 #236485 by Scimike
I don't subscribe to the belief that the dust seals don't do anything. When new they are good enough to keep the kingpin bearings in good order, they certainly get the vehicle out of warranty, and in my case, the original bearings lasted till the vehicle was over 10 years old.
The bearings do rust, but its usually linked to older vehicles with swivel so pitted the seal has no hope of keeping anything out. People then get use to changing the bearing every two years, and yes its pointless fitting new dust seals as they are unable to work against rust.
But you can refurbish the swivels and then fit new seals.
I did mine and still waiting for them to fail again, so I does work.
I understand that if you are quick at changing the bearings refurbishing the swivel looks like a lot of work, so each to their own.
But the seal do works, else why did Suzuki fit them?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Jul 2021 13:44 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
07 Jul 2021 14:31 #236491 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Wanted: Kingpin Bearing Kit
Hi,

I did both sides recently, bought everything from Martin at the BigJimny shop, apart from the Waterproof Grease which was out of stock, so had to order it from someone else (more expensive).

I reckon about a day to do each side, if it is like mine everything was seized in place.

Get the King Pin Bearing and Swivil Seal Kit from the BigJimny shop at the following link. You can find cheaper, but not genuine parts.
www.bigjimny.com/store/kingpin-bearing-w...it-premium-koyo.html

The kit does one side, so if doing both, you need two kits.

Get the Maxima Waterproof Grease as well, it's excellent stuff and you won't find cheaper, not by the time you add postage.
www.bigjimny.com/store/waterproof-grease.html

My swivel seal bolts were corroded, Martin does those as well, they are only £1 per side, hardly worth not replacing them.
www.bigjimny.com/store/swivel-seal-bolts.html

General Catalog page
www.bigjimny.com/store/jimny-gen3/parts-...rings-and-seals.html

The Kingpins are probably okay, I just cleaned and dressed mine, but Martin does those as well.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
07 Jul 2021 15:11 #236494 by jackonlyjack
If you have the time and patience 
You can paint the swivels with POR15
I gave mine 4 coats with a little rub down after each coat 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Soeley

More
08 Jul 2021 11:56 #236524 by Busta
Scimike, a while back someone shared some images of a brand new jimny swivel showing how the seal comes away from the swivel surface as you get towards full lock, so while it does do something it's still a token effort. It doesn't quite do enough to avoid problems, hence we have the situation we have. In my work the ingress of water is inevitable, and it only takes a teaspoon full to start the corrosion in the bottom bearing. Packing the bearings with waterproof grease definitely helps though! I get around 20,000 miles/2 years to a set of bearings and I can change them in under an hour, so it's not too bad really. Using cheap bearings and genuine seals it's £20 a side.

There was some talk about large CV boot style gaiters that would completely enclose the swivel. That would work and be perfect for a road car, but they would also be quite vulnerable to damage off-road.

More
08 Jul 2021 20:23 - 08 Jul 2021 20:25 #236540 by Scimike
Hi Busta,
I dont doubt that someone had issues with gaps, but it suggests something else was wrong with that one. 
My seals stay in contact lock to lock, you can see this in the photo as the dirt wipe line is complete without gaps, it's working like a windscreen wiper, cleaning the wiped area, dirty on the none wiped. I can't see any dirt or marks in the wiped area, all shiny black paint. 
Only time will tell if my refurbished swivel make things last long, it's why I did it as a long term test. It's approaching 2 years without issue, but not taking it apart until it fails again, so I can't confirm what's going on inside. 

Totally agree you are wasting your money changing the seals if you have rusty swivels, you may as well leave them off. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2021 20:25 by Scimike.

More
09 Jul 2021 09:33 #236546 by Busta
It's at the very top and bottom where they showed the seal comes away from the swivel. Yours looks good. Hope it does the trick!

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds