BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Grand Vitara 1.6 vvt (2008)

More
20 Feb 2019 21:09 #203566 by PHB1969
Been looking for a Jimny for a while and have struggled to find something decent (or maybe too picky). That aside, considering a 1.6 GV 3dr 2008. I know the 4wd system isn’t as good as the 3dr diesel and 5 dr models so doesn’t have diff lock and low range, but how capable is the 4wd system....? It will be used for driving on/off mostly solid not too muddy fields, driving down unmade roads which are stoney not muddy and rutted, driving down a narrow lane which is sometime muddy, but not massively rutted, driving up/down grassy inclines to get to another field. Hoping this would be possible on road tyres, but open to thoughts and suggestions.....(be kind).

I’ve looked in a lot of places but seem to find different details - some say the 4wd is permanent ie all 4 wheels, other sources suggest rear wheels mainly driven then slip sensing diverts drive to front as well....anyone know how the 4wd is setup

Many thanks
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Feb 2019 06:13 #203575 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Grand Vitara 1.6 vvt (2008)
Ours is the 2.4 lwb and has the full system, but without utilizing any of the extra features ours does everything you're looking at on road tyres so with some all terrain tyres and driven with a sense of decorum I can't see there being a problem. As far as I am aware the basic system is just a permanent, open diff 4x4, nothing complicated.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2019 12:15 #203587 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Grand Vitara 1.6 vvt (2008)
I have the 5 door diesel. The 4wd is driven mainly on front wheels, and engage the rear when the wheels spin. I have low range and the ability to lock the 4wd.
I havent had any problems getting around on snow in auto.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds