BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

New Grand Vitara diffs and low range?

• Russ-41
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2015 14:49 #139592 by Russ-41
New Grand Vitara diffs and low range? was created by Russ-41
I'd like to buy a new GV (a second hand new shape) sometime in the near future, but I want it for off roading so I want the best bits, which is a grey area, can anyone help me recognise which models have what, or perhaps where to spot the button or switch or maybe a physical thing like casting differences that gives away a particular feature :huh:

I've heard the new Grand Vitara (2005-on) has a limited slip lockable centre Cam and Prawl diff (1), and I've heard other sites suggesting it has a Torsen diff (2)

As I understand all of them have open front and rear diffs although the 2nd reference quotes a limited slip rear (I think this is just a mistake)

I've also read somewhere that some of the new GV's don't have low ratio, and some have a 1.96 to 1.

I'm wondering if the above 2 statements are linked, and perhaps the non low range models feature a Torsen LSD, and the low range versions have the Cam and Prawl.

Originally and still most importantly I wanted to know how to identify which ones have a low range box, and which ones don't but now after doing lots of research I have the Cam and Prawl vs Torsen and open/LS rear diff thrown in to the mix.

Suzuki make it as clear as mud, they're losing the market because they fail to advertise the fact that the new GV has some proper off road features like low range and apparently beams integrated into the unibody to stiffen it when rock crawling and axle twisting! - but this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere officially.

This is sort of an open question I think, I just thought a thread pulling it all together would be useful.

(1) reference to Paula Ford site

(2) reference to Autocar see 5th para.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2015 15:01 #139593 by X8GGY
I bought a 3-door diesel, as the 3-door petrol models don't have a low ratio box* -

There's the switch you're after anyways ;)

*Although it's rumoured that all the transfer boxes are the same, it's just the actuator and switching isn't there?

More later, just heading for a shower... poor little Jimny! :ohmy:

• Russ-41
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2015 15:11 - 02 Mar 2015 15:15 #139596 by Russ-41
Replied by Russ-41 on topic New Grand Vitara diffs and low range?
Ahhhh, thanks Dave, I wanted a 1600 petrol.... thats out the window then, as you suggest, I've not seen a single petrol model with that switch (photographic memory) and having not seen a derv or 5 door, I'd not seen it before.

For completeness does anyone know if the larger petrol engined 5 doors have low/high range and lock, I notice some have ESP too (I bet I could override the ESP to brake a free spinning wheel..... say hello to intelligent torque distribution???)

It's looking like a diesel is the way forward, they're just more expensive and I don't really "understand" or know how to manipulate or repair all the new electrics and emissions on them but never mind, I'll keep saving for one!

For the benefit of others should that picture ever go missing in multiple years from now.....

On the centre console there is a dial below and about the same size as the heater control temperature, it has 4 positons,

- Neutral (for towing with all 4 wheels on the ground, never tow with 2 wheels off the ground - ever)
- 4H (open center high range)
- 4H lock (locks the centre diff, only to be used on slippery surfaces such as mud/ice/snow or damage may occour)
- 4L lock (same as above with a 2:1 reduction so everything is half the speed and twice the torque)

Again, Thanks dave.

The Jimny's not going anywhere Dave - the new GV will be my tow car for my Jimny mud monster! :evil:
Last edit: 02 Mar 2015 15:15 by Russ-41.

• Russ-41
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2015 16:09 - 02 Mar 2015 16:16 #139610 by Russ-41
Replied by Russ-41 on topic New Grand Vitara diffs and low range?
Hold the phone

There are 2 sets of internals for the 4 mode transfer case, one clearly has a cam and prawl LSD and the other has not.

So, perhaps don't assume they have a LSD in the transfer, clearly some new GV's are more equal than others ;)

Edit Update*

As far as I can see, the JB419 only has the option for a single set of transfer internals which has the cam and prawl LSD

(the JB is the new shape GV, SQ4's are the older ladder chassis type 2000-2005 ish) "19" is the 1.9 diesel thus JB424 is a 2.4 litre new GV, an SQ416 would be an old shape GV with the 1600 engine and so one... also JB6** and SQ6** exist - I assume these are the 5 door versions IDK..?
Last edit: 02 Mar 2015 16:16 by Russ-41.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2015 23:12 #140099 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Re:New Grand Vitara diffs and low range?
My dad has just sold his defender after losing faith in it..................hes been to look at a 07 grand vitara DDIS, but neither of us know anything about them. Are they any good offroad? ONLY greenlaning and nothing to serious. Can you get under armour, snorkles, what size tyres can be fitted etc?

Any help greatly appreciated, desperately trying to convince him not to get a gaylander or a disco td5. Unfortunately a jimny is to small apparently.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 18:27 #140243 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Re:New Grand Vitara diffs and low range?
Anyone with any advice?

• zukiara
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2015 22:34 #148738 by zukiara
Replied by zukiara on topic Re:New Grand Vitara diffs and low range?
Id need to do some digging around but there are a couple of companies that do stuff for it? like I say it may take some digging?

More
30 Jul 2015 22:39 #148739 by X8GGY
Spooky timing that you've resurrected this Eeee (Zukiara, he's an "old" friend)...

I've just ordered an AFN hidden winch mount via West Coast Offroad for mine -

And a small Warrior winch to go on it... will take a few weeks to arrive from Portugal though!

Safari do Snorkels for them...

Asfir (and others) to skid plates, etc...

Got a 2" lift and Yokohama Geolandars on mine so far...

More
30 Jul 2015 22:51 #148740 by X8GGY
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAsfir Skids on eBay -

On their own site -

www.asfir.com/catalog-suzuki/SGVS-CAT4X4

Safari Snorkel -

www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/products/860hf-safar...nd-vitara-06-11.html

(Arbil is the UK Importer)

FTS Snorkel -

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/grand-vitara-06...norkel/prod_258.html

• zukiara
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2015 23:03 #148742 by zukiara
Replied by zukiara on topic Re:New Grand Vitara diffs and low range?
There ya go, these were what I was thinking of lol
Eeee

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds