BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Bill Portland's 2019 Blue SZ5 Topic

More
02 May 2019 18:35 #207132 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Bill's 2019 blue SZ5

Ash97x wrote:

Bill Portland wrote: So, that's the kayak and rods sorted.

Looks class Bill! I must say I fell out with the suction cup rod racks, they deteriorated quite bad and I ended up losing one on a windy day. The magnetic vac-a-rac is quality though. Niceone hope to see more pics on your fishing trips!

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the same ones on a 2 week fishing trip to the states last year (going again later this month) and a buddy took his then. I think he's had them quite a while and we had no problems with the three of us with 3 rods in them, hence why I got some for myself. Time will tell but vs reels and tenryu rods don't take well to bouncing down the road!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2019 22:03 #207138 by Bill Portland
This evening I did a couple of minor mods; LEDs for the DRLs and reversing light, and fitted seat belt clips to the rear seat belts to keep them out of the way when the seats are flat. I didn't realise that the bulbs for the DRLs are different to the fog lights, but I don't think I'll bother with the fogs cos they're not on very often.

Next will be a strut stay for the rear door gas strut to stop it blowing shut when windy or when parked on a slope. Thanks to Soeley for the idea and details.

I've also fitted an additional movement sensitive LED light unit for the load area although the standard lighting isn't bad. Could probably do with an LED conversion too.

Am starting to get the hang of android auto which works really well when it works but I've noticed that, if i disconnect the phone then try to reconnect it, it won't reconnect without completely rebooting the infotainment system. Anyone else getting that? Or could be a quirk with my phone.

Am still undecided about have some underbody treatment applied. The dealer tells me the chassis is much better protected than earlier models, hence the 12 year antiperforation warranty. If the cars lasts me 12 years, about 180,000 miles, I'd be delighted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnjohanaphy

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2019 22:19 #207140 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Bill's 2019 blue SZ5

Bill Portland wrote: This evening I did a couple of minor mods; LEDs for the DRLs and reversing light, and fitted seat belt clips to the rear seat belts to keep them out of the way when the seats are flat. I didn't realise that the bulbs for the DRLs are different to the fog lights, but I don't think I'll bother with the fogs cos they're not on very often.

Next will be a strut stay for the rear door gas strut to stop it blowing shut when windy or when parked on a slope. Thanks to Soeley for the idea and details.

I've also fitted an additional movement sensitive LED light unit for the load area although the standard lighting isn't bad. Could probably do with an LED conversion too.

Am starting to get the hang of android auto which works really well when it works but I've noticed that, if i disconnect the phone then try to reconnect it, it won't reconnect without completely rebooting the infotainment system. Anyone else getting that? Or could be a quirk with my phone.

Am still undecided about have some underbody treatment applied. The dealer tells me the chassis is much better protected than earlier models, hence the 12 year antiperforation warranty. If the cars lasts me 12 years, about 180,000 miles, I'd be delighted.

I just ordered the DRL's too. Left out the fogs like you have Bill.

Ive been trying to order from Japan, ratiken. Ive been after the LED interior kit, and lugage boxes, oh and ive been trying to source some clear or blue side repeaters, but too no avail. Anyways.... the raitkin site is a nightmare to order from, even when translated it makes little sense, been trying different combo's in the address, phone number etc...in order for it to accept my order, but its a bugger and wont work.

Vent over ;-) Got to say, i'm loving the jimny, it has far exceeded my expectations!! Gonna do a decent review on it soon, im working on it in a word doc. Anyways :-)

More
03 May 2019 06:18 #207164 by stiffsteve204me

Bill Portland wrote: This evening I did a couple of minor mods; LEDs for the DRLs and reversing light, and fitted seat belt clips to the rear seat belts to keep them out of the way when the seats are flat. I didn't realise that the bulbs for the DRLs are different to the fog lights, but I don't think I'll bother with the fogs cos they're not on very often.

When I get back home, improving the reversing light is top of my list, Bill. I drove the Jimny in the dark for the first time, last night, and had to reverse off a drive. Standard reversing light was as good as useless, IMO. Is it possible to have a lamp in each cluster?

A door stay, of some sort, is another essential for me.

I drove in very heavy rain on the M42, yesterday. Very impress how little the rear screen needs wiping. That may be down to the spare wheel, shielding the screen?

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, johnjohanaphy

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 May 2019 19:08 #207223 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic Bill's 2019 blue SZ5
Bill,

I know you’re a Dorset lad; you anywhere near Weymouth?, if so there’s a chance that there could be two blue Gen4s with fishing kayaks in the same car park!

Odd how great minds think alike...i have put clips on the rear belts, but being a tight fisted Welshman, mine are the ones they sell in kitchen shops to seal plastic bags with.
I also have an led bulb for the reversing light..when the tarmac warms up, I’ll have a go at fitting it.

More
03 May 2019 22:09 #207247 by Bill Portland
I'm in Poole now, used to be portland, hence the nickname.
Don't know any green lanes in the purbecks do you?

More
04 May 2019 05:25 #207256 by johnjohanaphy
I have one also mine is SZ5 white automatic, a beautiful car.

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

More
04 May 2019 06:29 - 04 May 2019 06:30 #207259 by Bill Portland
That looks really nice in white.

Bayugan - Philippines?
Last edit: 04 May 2019 06:30 by Bill Portland.

More
25 May 2019 15:27 - 25 May 2019 15:29 #208924 by Bill Portland
The engine seems to be freeing up nicely.
I drove for 28 miles after the low fuel light came on and could still only get 33 litres in. So there's plenty left in reserve when it says its empty (unless it's not really got 40 litres capacity)

Oh, the trip computer said it had done 46.4mpg, so not quite as accurate as I'd thought, but pretty close.
Last edit: 25 May 2019 15:29 by Bill Portland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640, johnjohanaphy

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 04:17 #208960 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Bill's 2019 blue SZ5

Bill Portland wrote: The engine seems to be freeing up nicely.
I drove for 28 miles after the low fuel light came on and could still only get 33 litres in. So there's plenty left in reserve when it says its empty (unless it's not really got 40 litres capacity)

Oh, the trip computer said it had done 46.4mpg, so not quite as accurate as I'd thought, but pretty close.

Nice observations Bill. Appreciated.

I noticed that the gauge indicated low fuel at around 28-30 miles. One minute my expected milage is at these numbers, and then dissapears and goes to "low fuel" and the light comes on. So when you did another 28miles, that would technically place you at empty. My thinking is that as with "sell by dates" there is a large margin of error/safety applied. So with your figures above, I would guess that the 7 remaining litres you calculated would be the "margin of error". So in theory the car probably has another 40 to 60 miles remaining, even after your 28 miles driven from the point of "low fuel" light. (depending on your MPG)??? Seems like a rather large margin though doesnt it??

New thread.... who's gonna test this theory with a jerry can and run there motor to "no fuel"??? Count me out ;-)

Im open to corrections ;-)

More
26 May 2019 07:34 #208977 by stiffsteve204me

Andy2640 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote: The engine seems to be freeing up nicely.

Nice observations Bill. Appreciated.

I noticed that the gauge indicated low fuel at around 28-30 miles. One minute my expected milage is at these numbers, and then dissapears and goes to "low fuel" and the light comes on. So when you did another 28miles, that would technically place you at empty. My thinking is that as with "sell by dates" there is a large margin of error/safety applied. So with your figures above, I would guess that the 7 remaining litres you calculated would be the "margin of error". So in theory the car probably has another 40 to 60 miles remaining, even after your 28 miles driven from the point of "low fuel" light. (depending on your MPG)??? Seems like a rather large margin though doesnt it??

New thread.... who's gonna test this theory with a jerry can and run there motor to "no fuel"??? Count me out ;-)

Im open to corrections ;-)

I don't think that you are far out, Andy.

I had Low Fuel warning light on, zero Range showing, and could only get around 30 Ltr. in. That was a "to the neck" fill, so I would guess there would have been 8-10 litres left.

No, I am not going to put it to the test. :laugh:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
26 May 2019 07:41 #208979 by Bill Portland
Jukes have a similar "feature". My wife had one which said it was empty when it still had about 13 litres left of a 48 litre tank. I looked into it and it was a known "feature" (description from Nissan dealer). Not an issue once you know about it and there's no need to panic if the light comes on late at night in the middle of nowhere

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds