BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

More
25 Aug 2019 18:56 #212667 by Gadget

Andy2640 wrote: Just had a email off GeorgeC. Remember him?

An email? Did he get put of the permanent naughty step on the forum?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2019 20:53 #212672 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

Gadget wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: Just had a email off GeorgeC. Remember him?

An email? Did he get put of the permanent naughty step on the forum?

Yes, he has been a very naughty boy! :laugh: :laugh:

More
26 Aug 2019 08:10 #212685 by DAGZOOK
Gadget what kind of CB radio are you looking to run? I’ve read some great things about the ‘Uniden’ handheld CB for sale on amazon. You can power it via your 12v socket or batteries. It comes with an antenna which from what people have said is ok if you’re travelling in convoy, but for longer distance communication they used a mag mount temporary set up. I’d imagine the handheld would fulfill the needs of most weekend warriors in this forum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
26 Aug 2019 08:58 #212686 by Gadget

DAGZOOK wrote: Gadget what kind of CB radio are you looking to run? I’ve read some great things about the ‘Uniden’ handheld CB for sale on amazon. You can power it via your 12v socket or batteries. It comes with an antenna which from what people have said is ok if you’re travelling in convoy, but for longer distance communication they used a mag mount temporary set up. I’d imagine the handheld would fulfill the needs of most weekend warriors in this forum

Good sanity check, thanks. I think you're probably right. Not sure why I've been so keen on getting a fixed setup, or indeed a CB at all, as I'll only use it once in a blue moon! I do like my toys though :laugh:

Am now seriously considering the Midland 42 DS, which seems to have all the bells and whistles.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2019 19:03 #212705 by Andy2640
What about the midland M5 Gadget?

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 10:33 - 27 Aug 2019 12:32 #212716 by Andy2640

DAGZOOK wrote: Gadget what kind of CB radio are you looking to run? I’ve read some great things about the ‘Uniden’ handheld CB for sale on amazon. You can power it via your 12v socket or batteries. It comes with an antenna which from what people have said is ok if you’re travelling in convoy, but for longer distance communication they used a mag mount temporary set up. I’d imagine the handheld would fulfill the needs of most weekend warriors in this forum

My plan is to get the Midland M5, have a 1.5m antenna on the spare wheel and then connect it up to a Blackveu magic pro module.

The magic pro is ace, it connects to the fuse box so no hard wiring to the battery. It then is put somewhere mega discreet. It has a 12v ciggie connector, so there will be no need to plug the CB into the front ciggie lighter.

The magic pro has voltage cutt off, so when using the CB with ignition off, the power is still running to the CB, but will turn off power from the battery if its becoming drained.

The magoc pro is intended for dash cams when in ignition off and park mode, so the cam still can record if someone bumps you whilst out shopping etc. You dont need this module to run the CB obviusly, but its a cool feature, and no un tidy wires going into the front ciggie lighter
..yaaay!

EDIT: OHH AND YES, I AGREE THIS CB INSTALL IS A "DESIRE" AND NOT NESSERSARILY A "NEED" - LOL. STILL COOL THOUGH, AND WILL BE SWEET USING IT AT THE MEET.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2019 12:32 by Andy2640.

More
28 Sep 2019 09:15 #213962 by Gadget
Fitted a Jimnybits fuel filter guard this morning. Nice and easy, despite me not finding the instructions until after I'd finished! Being on the skinny side, I even managed it without stands/ramps, although it was fairly snug under the car! :lol:

Impressed with the design and quality. It uses existing mounting points, so no drilling required. Two of the mounting points re-use existing bolts (12mm socket needed) with one longer replacement bolt supplied for the final mounting point (13mm socket needed).

All the delicate, low-slung plastic bits are now behind lumps of powder coated steel.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

More
28 Sep 2019 15:43 #213973 by Soeley
It's a well made bit of kit isn't it!

More
29 Sep 2019 10:51 #213993 by Gadget

Soeley wrote: It's a well made bit of kit isn't it!

They are! All the JB stuff seems very high quality. Thanks for the install photos on your car thread, they came in handy when I could find the instruction sheet! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
29 Sep 2019 10:57 - 29 Sep 2019 10:58 #213994 by Gadget
Next job if the rain ever goes away is to fit some @jimnybits rear recovery points.

Really impressed with the build quality of these again. 7mm thick steel, galvanised and powder coated. Supplied as a pair, with each clamping either side of the rear chassis rails. Towing eye is 22mm diameter.

Only downside is again weight, at 4.45kg each! I suppose I could just fit one, but the lack of symmetry might induce OCD rage :laugh:

I'm undecided on colour, should I leave them black or paint them gloss red? #firstworldproblems

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Sep 2019 10:58 by Gadget.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2019 13:08 #214002 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
Go on, paint just the eyelet end. Red or yellow, a colour coded recovery is scientifically proven to be more satisfying.
I can't have these as I use a trailer regularly, will be buying the fronts when they show up on the site.
Chris

More
29 Sep 2019 18:07 #214022 by DAGZOOK
Looks like a lovely bit of kit gadget! that j-wagon of yours will be an absolute tank as a result of all these mods, thanks for the update!

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds