BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny from N.I

• jimny-cricket
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2017 12:35 - 07 Jun 2017 12:43 #181813 by jimny-cricket
Jimny from N.I was created by jimny-cricket
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd put my first post up today after collecting my Jimny last night. I'd been driving a 2010 Seat Leon Cupra so as you can imagine there is a big difference between the two but I haven't stopped smiling since I picked it up! The car is 2004 with 49K miles with basically no rust in the common areas which is a big plus.

Just wanted to say how helpful the posts on the forum have been so far as they gave me an idea of what to look out for/what to avoid when buying a Jimny and have also gave me plenty of ideas on what changes I can make as well.

The plan for the car is to mostly drive it on road and take it off road the odd time with friends so I think the first purchase will be a set of tyres (looking mostly at AT tyres at 215/75/15?) and possibly a rack/light bar up top. I'm completely new to the world of 4 wheel drive/off road so excuse the number of silly questions that I'll probably ask in the coming months!

Picture I've added is just after picking it up and will hopefully get more up after I give it a good clean this weekend!

Thanks,
Josh
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jun 2017 12:43 by jimny-cricket. Reason: Hadn't finished typing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2017 16:56 #181817 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Jimny from N.I
Welcome to the club Josh. B) B) B)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2017 18:57 #181819 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny from N.I
Welcome to the club, I started off with a set of AT's but regretted not getting MUDs first so double think your mods before you part with your spondolies enjoy your Jim B)

• jimny-cricket
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2017 21:50 #181826 by jimny-cricket
Replied by jimny-cricket on topic Jimny from N.I
Thanks for the Welcome!

With tyres would there be any point in me getting MUDs if most of my driving will probably be on roads? Also with brands I can see General Grabbers seem to be very popular AT's but I'd also seen a set of 'Gripmax AT Owl' 215/75 15 for a reasonable price, anyone ever tried these?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2017 15:44 #181857 by Daniel30
I mainly drive mine on the roads, I have had the grabbers and can't fault them but no experience of the others mentioned, do you use yours to commute what sort of mileage do you do?

• jimny-cricket
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2017 16:19 #181859 by jimny-cricket
I've only heard good things about grabbers to be fair, is there a recommended place online to get them or just a case of searching for best price?

I'm just using mine to and from the train station at the minute but would do a good few miles at the weekend i.e travelling to see family etc at the weekends but I'd probably do max 250 miles a week!

Would be interested in the black steel wheels with the low offsets but not sure whether I'd have clearance issues as don't plan to lift the Jimny any time soon.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2017 16:52 - 08 Jun 2017 16:54 #181863 by Daniel30
I got my grabbers from black circle a year or so ago but they have stopped stocking them now I ran 205/75/15 on -30 offset modulars and were fine so yeah just shop about B)
Last edit: 08 Jun 2017 16:54 by Daniel30.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2017 19:36 #181872 by 1066Boy
I got a great price from Boss Tyres. Under cut blackcircals buy £30 per tyre. :)

• jimny-cricket
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2017 09:30 #181875 by jimny-cricket
Well its good to know I'd be able to run offset modulars without having to go down the route of lifting! Although I sold the Leon and bought the Jimny to save money but the shopping list has already started :whistle:

Yes had seen Boss Tyres in my searches, seem to be really good on prices! Would there be much difference between the 205/75 and the 215/75 being fitted on modulars in regards to clearance?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2017 09:54 #181876 by Daniel30
That's when it gets a bit technical for me :woohoo: :woohoo: the 215 will be a bit taller but only a little bit if your more road usage the 205 might be better it's just personal choice on the 04 model I think your bumper clearance is ok for both.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2017 09:58 - 09 Jun 2017 09:59 #181877 by Daniel30
Just been on the Boss tyre site they are well priced

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Tyre_size
Last edit: 09 Jun 2017 09:59 by Daniel30.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2017 16:34 #181892 by 1066Boy
I am told that 215/75/15 will fit a standard vehicle but add offset rims they may touch the rear arches when flexing off road.
I am sure somebody will be able to answer this in a bit. :)

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds