BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

BIG - ish RED

More
06 Mar 2017 14:03 #178872 by stimpy
BIG - ish RED was created by stimpy
Hey up Folks,

Let me start firstly by apologising... I am a complete retard with doing pics on tinternet, bare with me i'll get there!!

Have had SJs (mostly in never ending projects) on and off for years but just bought my first Jim Jimny yesterday. Sadly i just don't have the time for major projects so had to purchase something with a glimmer of completeness :-)..

Using your best imagination skills; Its red! 4" suspension lift with castor correction, adj panhards etc, 1 3/4" body lift, 33 x 12.5 BFG muds on 15 x 10 wellers, ORA bumpers and a KAP fibreglass front end..... You with me?...

Short term plans are get a desperately needed reduced ratio transfer box in, go through him and service, sort a few bits, redo/ tidy wiring, then see if i can take some height out of it with a bit of inner arch trimming.. Oh, and drive the hell out of it and have fun!

Long term plans, well... I'd better not think too much about that or i'll have another project on my hands! Though a quick engine swap is definitely needed as frankly it's asthmatic - characterful, but still asthmatic... Then there's the 35s and 4 link dream... SHUT UP SEB!!! :whistle:

Will sort a few bits saturday and go for my first play on sunday at Waddon hopefully.. Can't bloody wait!!

GREAT to be back in a ZOOK..

Oh, and looks a great forum, shall be scouring for knowledge and no doubt asking potentially silly questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2017 19:27 #178895 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic BIG - ish RED
I think it looks awesome!

I've a good imagination eh? :D

More
06 Mar 2017 19:59 #178903 by stimpy
Replied by stimpy on topic BIG - ish RED
Aw, thanks man!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2017 20:15 #178905 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic BIG - ish RED
Get some pics up using Photobucket

Sounds good B)

More
12 Mar 2017 22:32 #179141 by stimpy
Well, had my first day out in it today...

Sadly not for very long.... Half shaft break within 40 mins... Not very amused.

I know the general consensus is that the front axle on Jimnys is delicate and certainly not helped by larger tyres but this really was a joke. I can only presume they may have seen some decent action before and perhaps this was the final straw, certainly none of my SJs i've had over the years would have broke. And if not then the Jimmy is certainly not suitable for me...

I'm now debating wether to go with upgraded items or try another standard set to see if that was bad luck.

On another note, i was absolutely shocked on saturday when i had a moment to look the vehicle over with the design of the radius arms and their path on the front axle, they literally bend down further below than the diff!? We end up loosing at least another 3" of ground clearance due to that let alone what we loose to the diff connection area... Hmmm. Poor design.

Spent the rest of the day riding round 4 up in my mates £200 discovery bouncing around, clearing most stuff and rescuing all sorts of carnage....Not a fan of Discos but you can certainly see why they are pretty much the most popular choice.

Still love Zooks, just a bit annoyed....

More
13 Mar 2017 07:58 #179153 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic BIG - ish RED
That's 33s on standard shafts and CVs for you! Anyone on here could have told you that would happen. Either get some sensible sized tyres or HD shafts and CVs. Not really Suzuki's fault...

More
13 Mar 2017 22:57 #179184 by stimpy

Busta wrote: That's 33s on standard shafts and CVs for you! Anyone on here could have told you that would happen. Either get some sensible sized tyres or HD shafts and CVs. Not really Suzuki's fault...

Pretty much every one did - was well aware. Just didn't expect it to go on something as little as pulling out of a rut. Something a bit more dramatic would have made sense...

More
29 Mar 2017 20:54 #179758 by stimpy
Evening...

Well, just wanted to update this...

The Jimny - or the disgrace as it has been named is still sat there broke but been bumming around in it in 2wd for a bit.

In the end i opted for some upgraded shafts, went with the Trail Gear ones and upgraded cvs whilst i was on the spend. Went with the 26 spline option and have some replacement spiders to change out in the diff - hopefully get that done this weekend so i can go play again the following weekend..

Also, just as i was about to order a 4.16 transfer box up popped a 6:1 so that will go in within the next couple weeks too all being well....

Hopefully the next play will be more fruitful! lol...

Be the rear shafts next :bawling:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2017 14:45 #179772 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic BIG - ish RED
But why those massive 33" tyres?? Do you really need them, or is it just to look cool down by the pub?

I have up until now been pretty much against bigger than 31" tyres for a Jimny. And I still believe that in most cases it's pointless.
But after a week long Trophy/Challenge event in Croatia I've now learnt that a some point bigger tyres can be of use. this was because of the rocks.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2017 17:14 #179779 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic BIG - ish RED
I agree with TomDK. 33" tyres are not necessary unless you are doing some really hard core events.
I did an event on sunday and beat all but one of the challenge trucks running 37" rubber.
I am only running 205/70/15 but very aggressive pattern. :)
Yes big tyres give you more clearance under the axle but add a lot of strain on the drivetrain.

More
01 Apr 2017 18:52 #179821 by stimpy

TomDK wrote: But why those massive 33" tyres?? Do you really need them, or is it just to look cool down by the pub?

Yeah it's all for down the pub, I just wanna look cool. Will you be my friend?

Seriously mate...

More
01 Apr 2017 18:56 #179822 by stimpy

1066Boy wrote: I agree with TomDK. 33" tyres are not necessary unless you are doing some really hard core events.
I did an event on sunday and beat all but one of the challenge trucks running 37" rubber.
I am only running 205/70/15 but very aggressive pattern. :)
Yes big tyres give you more clearance under the axle but add a lot of strain on the drivetrain.

It completely depends upon what terrain you are on - If you're beating lots of challenge trucks on 205s they're either all for show or on relatively simple terrain.

I'm not mocking a standardish zook - some of the best fun i ever had was in a standard sj410. But not really a fair comparison.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds