BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Sterling Family Jimny!

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2015 22:13 #140164 by Paul_sterling
Sterling Family Jimny! was created by Paul_sterling
Hi Folks,

picked the Jimny up on Thursday. going well so far, barring a slight issue with second gear, and a rattle hidden inside the dash. off road ability every inch as good as the old vitara, i.e. met my requirements!

File Attachment:

towbar fitted on Friday (put it on during Friday lunch break) will wire up at some point this week when time permits.

toying with wheel spacers, but other things to do with other cars before that (C2 need both wishbones replacing, and passenger side strut top bearing) and the Disco needs taxing.

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2015 23:04 #140171 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Sterling Family Jimny!
Looks nice... Love the all black theme and nice alloys :woohoo:

• hunter1084
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 04:07 - 09 Mar 2015 04:09 #140177 by hunter1084
Replied by hunter1084 on topic Sterling Family Jimny!
Awesome! B)
I dont think wheel spacers would be ideal as they will set the tyres out of your guards and you will get mud etc flicked over the Jimny. I do like the new rims the 2015s come out with though :woohoo:

Second gear problem is odd though what happens with it? Atleast ya have a decent warranty though!
Last edit: 09 Mar 2015 04:09 by hunter1084. Reason: Errors

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 06:58 #140178 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Sterling Family Jimny!
Would spacers affect your warranty there so tight now on any change from the factory spec

More
09 Mar 2015 09:17 #140190 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Sterling Family Jimny!

Daniel30 wrote: Would spacers affect your warranty there so tight now on any change from the factory spec

Not if you took them off before it went to the dealer!

I don't think they're worth the bother though.

Nice new Jimjam!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul_sterling

• the_goshawker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 14:16 #140221 by the_goshawker
Replied by the_goshawker on topic Sterling Family Jimny!
Nice jimny Paul ;)

More
09 Mar 2015 14:53 #140223 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Sterling Family Jimny!
B) the new front design looks lovely

that centre chrome "S" grille insert has to go though :P

keep of the roads till April if you can :S

Tyne and Wear, and Northumberland Councils have to dump all their grit/salt stockpile by the end of March, they have gritters working overtime covering all the roads, yes I know it's now t-shirt weather in Newcastle. Apparently they've got to get rid of it all, maybe something to do with next years budget being cut if not used ............. sheer madness :evil:

anyway, love the truck

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul_sterling

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2015 19:48 - 11 Mar 2015 10:48 #140325 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Sterling Family Jimny!
thanks guys.

for 2015, they made a few more minor changes to the jimny.

it now has a carbon fibre effect dials panel (from swift supposedly)

indicator stalks now on left.

the new spec alloys (these are just the standard ones for the SZ4, there are a few other options, at a price) are painted to match the lower body, but you can still have other colours if you really want them.

going well so far, dash rattle does my nut in at times, especially as its not accessible. there is also a noticeable vibration/wobble of the steering at 48-50mph, but surely its too early for death wobble haha. I think there is a wheel not correctly balanced.

cheers.
Paul.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2015 10:48 by Paul_sterling.

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2015 21:08 #140329 by Paul_sterling

hunter1084 wrote: Awesome! B)
I dont think wheel spacers would be ideal as they will set the tyres out of your guards and you will get mud etc flicked over the Jimny. I do like the new rims the 2015s come out with though :woohoo:

Second gear problem is odd though what happens with it? Atleast ya have a decent warranty though!

it doesn't engage easily on the downshift. would've just put it down to the type of gearbox had all of them been similar, but this is the only one that's not smooth and slick.

Paul.

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2015 21:10 #140330 by Paul_sterling

Halford wrote: B) the new front design looks lovely

that centre chrome "S" grille insert has to go though :P

keep of the roads till April if you can :S

Tyne and Wear, and Northumberland Councils have to dump all their grit/salt stockpile by the end of March, they have gritters working overtime covering all the roads, yes I know it's now t-shirt weather in Newcastle. Apparently they've got to get rid of it all, maybe something to do with next years budget being cut if not used ............. sheer madness :evil:

anyway, love the truck

;)

thanks Hal

chrome is here to stay though, it has the chrome door handle surrounds too. hehe.

sounds shady about the council, but I'm not surprised, waste money they didn't need so that they get it next year to waste again, oh the joy of government bean counters!

I don't think durham has done the same, but then again, this year even though its not been an especially harsh winter, its been any excuse to get the gritters out!

Paul.

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2015 10:53 #140359 by Paul_sterling
I'm going to get the dealership to look at the rattle, gearbox, and imbalance/wobble, but as the C2 is off the road till the weekend (got all the parts now happily, so shouldn't take too much work), the Jimny is needed until then, so Will look into it next week.

overall though I love it, and the interior is not nearly as cramped as the 2005 one we first test drove at stoneacres- pleased we didn't buy from them, Sims proved to be a better dealership.

Dad had a bump in his Transit connect on Monday and I'm a bit limited by a trapped nerve in my neck, so I suspect work on the trailer, and the cars is going to all get squashed into the weekend!

pleased the light nights are upon us though, I can get more work done then!

Paul.

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2015 09:19 #140979 by Paul_sterling
Had the Jimny in to Sims Suzuki on Wednesday night, and I must say, their service is excellent.

you know a dealership takes you seriously when the owner comes and greets you on first name terms. the friendly atmosphere in there, even now after they've got the deal and the money, is still first rate.

so after I took the workshop manager for a run out in the Jimny, came back. he had the guys balance the wheels, and found a discrepancy of 10g on one wheel, though he had mulled over thoughts about the Kingpin shims being too thick also.

anyway, after balancing, the wobble vanished.

second gear, as I suspected, was one issue they asked me to give a little more miles and time too. my gut feeling is that the grate is a little out of position.

dashboard rattle has hopefully gone, Steve thinks it was a wire rattling on the heater distribution plumbing.

overall, very happy with the service.

next thing to do is wire up the towbar, I fitted the frame, but have deliberately left the neck and towball off, to avoid any legal issues. after that I will get it in for anti corrosion protection.

Paul.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds