BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2015 22:22 - 27 Dec 2015 22:24 #159231 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Lumberjack Jimny

Busta wrote: It gets worked hard but copes just fine. It really is a fantastic vehicle for the work I'm doing. I think Suzuki have really missed a trick by not pushing them towards farmers and other outdoor industries.

Tyres are BFG MT, 215/75. Running them at 15psi in the woods. Wide tyres on the trailer would be nice. A rocklobster would be good but to be honest 1st low is fine for all the work I do and I'm still doing a lot of road miles so I'm not sure if I'd cope with the whine. It's got a liana lump in it now which makes things easier.

Agreed. I use mine in my forestry surveying work, and with another car I'd be forced to spend a lot more time walking between survey points. Allows me to drive through areas where other larger 4x4s just wouldn't fit.

I once even managed to use the network of quadbike trails that the deer cullers had created through a large expanse of unthinned Sitka spruce. Bit of scuffed paintwork down the sides, but saved me a few extra days of work by being able to drive.

Also using 215/75 MT tyres. To me these are the sweet spot for doing both road and off-road miles.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 22:24 by Venter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2016 20:54 #162245 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Stuck again!

Rescued by a Landy. How embarassing!

...and another short video of the Jimny harassing some trees.

More
12 Feb 2016 08:57 #162267 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Ruts eh! The standard Jimny nemesis!

That video is awesome! Go Jimny. Go!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
12 Feb 2016 12:51 #162275 by Busta
The ruts weren't there before the trailer sank ;) It's a bottomless peat bog and once you cut through the grass it's game over! Need some flotation tyres on the trailer.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2016 13:25 - 12 Feb 2016 13:26 #162276 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Lumberjack Jimny
How about some fater tyres on the trailer would that help?!
Or twin wheel trailer to help spread the load on the soft ground?
Last edit: 12 Feb 2016 13:26 by Daniel30.

More
12 Feb 2016 17:41 #162285 by Busta
I'd like to get a pair of Jimny wheels on there but the Ifor Williams hubs use a Landrover bolt pattern. I could get some 15 inch Landy modulars with 225/60R15s for 40% more width.
Twin axles would help on soft ground but they are a pain in tight spaces and make the trailer heavier, which is undesirable given the Jimny's low towing capacity. I do a lot of road work too.

We did a couple more loads today. We didn't pile the trailer so high and all was fine, so there isn't really an issue if I'm being sensible. But where's the fun in that :p

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2016 18:25 - 12 Feb 2016 18:27 #162289 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Fair enough ;)

Sensible? Definitely no fun in that and I would get the bigger tyres for the trailer :woohoo:
Last edit: 12 Feb 2016 18:27 by Daniel30.

More
05 Jul 2016 20:50 #169601 by Busta
I think the nose-weight was a bit high on this trailer. Only had to move it 200yds, out of a shed and back it in again. The Jimny in 2 low was the perfect little shunter!

Attachments:

More
06 Jul 2016 08:10 #169622 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Awesome!

:-)

• davert85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2016 21:21 #169870 by davert85
Replied by davert85 on topic Re:Lumberjack Jimny

Busta wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Looks like your Jimny works hard for a living! It's good to see someone using one like that.

Those Marshes in your previous video look a nice place to visit. I thought the cow/bull was gonna have you at one point! Is that the reason you did the gate on that occasion and not your Mrs? ;)

You did well in those washed out muddy sections with the ground clearance you have, the tyres did their job well.

Kirkynut

Thanks Kirkynut!
Haha, she's not a fan of animals and I think she had decided it was my turn to go out in the mud. It's really slippery clay mud out there, with lots of deep dykes (ditches) to slip into if you don't stick to the ruts. When it's muddy like that you can't get far without mud terrains :)

Where was this Busta? :)

More
11 Jul 2016 07:30 #169881 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Lumberjack Jimny
Halvergate marshes across towards Yarmouth.

More
19 Jan 2017 19:59 #177043 by Busta
A couple of changes for 2017.
My Silver 2002 1.6 Jimny has transmetamorphosticated into a Black 2003 1.3 Jimny.
And my chainsaw and axe are now automatic.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds