BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny

• woody woodpecker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2014 11:32 #131824 by woody woodpecker
Replied by woody woodpecker on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Hi Busta its nice to see someone else working there jimny in the timber trade. I sell logs down in devon and am very interested in how you delivery trailer works .Do you have any more pictures off trailer and is the bag you have on there a cubic metre bag , I think I might have to build one if you don't mind, and are willing to give me some dimensions.
thanks chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2014 12:33 #131832 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lumberjack Jimny

Grant Munro wrote: Suzuki NZ introduced a pick-up version in May 2014 as part of the range, although it became special order as of October 2014. "Unique to New Zealand, the Flatdeck has an extended wheelbase that provides more load-carrying space. The deck measures 1,550mm by 1,550mm and has a carrying capacity of 300kgs. The lengthened chassis also improves weight transfer bringing more of the load weight in front of the rear wheels. The local engineering adaption called for a replacement driveshaft, but otherwise the Flatdeck is mechanically similar to the factory Jimny hardtop." Spare wheel is carried below the deck.

Yes that's what I had in mind when I made the image. My plan was to extend the chassis 400mm to allow for a 1.8 meter (6ft) bed- long enough to sleep in. In the UK, chassis modifications like that mean it would need to be inspected, which was a stumbling block for me but some other forum members are apparently familiar with the inspection process. The other issue is the load capacity- 300kg isn't enough for anything useful!

More
08 Dec 2014 12:54 #131835 by Busta

woody woodpecker wrote: Hi Busta its nice to see someone else working there jimny in the timber trade. I sell logs down in devon and am very interested in how you delivery trailer works .Do you have any more pictures off trailer and is the bag you have on there a cubic metre bag , I think I might have to build one if you don't mind, and are willing to give me some dimensions.
thanks chris

PM sent

• Grant Munro
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2014 16:39 #131848 by Grant Munro
Replied by Grant Munro on topic Lumberjack Jimny
I'm sure it could carry more ;) but am guessing that officially anything more than 300kg would be running into GVW issues. The standard Jimny is KW 1090kg with max GVW 1420kg, so with 300kg on the flat deck that only leaves 30kg for driver and fuel :huh: I second the comments on the trailer, clever.

More
22 Feb 2015 09:21 #138765 by Busta
Whilst I was giving the Jimny a service, I knocked up a pair of roof bars. These replace the standard rails and ebay bar setup I had previously. The aim was to keep it as low to the roof as practically possible. The bars are 25x3mm box section. The end brackets are 2.5mm. I welded an old chain link on each end of the bars for hooking straps into and cut some pads out of a plastic can to protect the paintwork. Simples!

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2015 15:54 #138809 by jim
Replied by jim on topic Lumberjack Jimny
That looks super sturdy Busta you need to make us all a set so we can all carry more than a measley 30kg.

More
22 May 2015 12:20 #144647 by Busta
A short video of my Jimny towing the gang mowers. I'm really pleased with how quick and easy it is and what a nice job it does! Much better than the noisy tractor and hay mower I used before.

More
14 Dec 2015 19:19 - 14 Dec 2015 19:23 #158515 by Busta
A few more pictures of the Jimny at work. It's getting pretty wet in the woods now and we've been a bit too ambitious loading the trailer at times, but the Jimny is coping pretty well.

Stuck in the soft wet peat here...

But with a bit or weight out of the trailer I could drive a few yards onto firmer ground and all was well.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2015 19:23 by Busta.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2015 21:07 #158805 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Holy moly, that looks a load and a half for the jimny. :)

More
20 Dec 2015 00:29 - 20 Dec 2015 00:31 #158821 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Lumberjack Jimny
This is a proper working Jimny!

It looks like you work it hard too. What tyres are you running Busta?

I wonder if you'd benefit from a rocklobster to be able to pull that load with less strain on the clutch? If you use it alot the whine of a rocklobster might get irritating though.

Kirkynut

Edit : The roof bars look like a good improvement!

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 20 Dec 2015 00:31 by kirkynut.

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2015 10:30 #158824 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Impressive that mind !

More
20 Dec 2015 13:05 #158834 by Busta
It gets worked hard but copes just fine. It really is a fantastic vehicle for the work I'm doing. I think Suzuki have really missed a trick by not pushing them towards farmers and other outdoor industries.

Tyres are BFG MT, 215/75. Running them at 15psi in the woods. Wide tyres on the trailer would be nice. A rocklobster would be good but to be honest 1st low is fine for all the work I do and I'm still doing a lot of road miles so I'm not sure if I'd cope with the whine. It's got a liana lump in it now which makes things easier.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds