BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
03 Apr 2015 19:12 #141852 by helijohn
It is a fine looking motor, thank you for sharing. B)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2015 19:58 #141856 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Very nice those bumpers would look nice one mine I'm jealous :woohoo: :blink: :P

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2015 20:39 #141860 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Good snaps :)

More
03 Apr 2015 20:41 #141861 by kirkynut
Why I thank you!

The bumpers has a new coat of Hammerite Satin Black the other day to tidy them up, along with the cage!

I could do with taking the rear bumper off and painting the inside of it too as the powder coating ORA used was rubbish and has peeled terribly. Ideally the whole thing could do with a trip to the blasters and a painting session but that's not going to happen!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
03 Apr 2015 21:53 - 03 Apr 2015 22:01 #141873 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote:
I could do with taking the rear bumper off and painting the inside of it too
Kirkynut

My favourite for that would be the Hammerite underseal with added Waxoyl. Takes longer to dry but is a lot tougher than the Hammerite paint and it is out of sight so finish is not that important. ;) Do my sump guards in it and just done my Junior spare wheel carrier in it too. B)

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2015 22:01 by helijohn.

More
04 Apr 2015 22:59 #141925 by kirkynut
Does it actually ever dry though John? I used it on an old car of mine and whenever I worked on it I got the bloody stuff all over my clothes. I've never used it since as a result.

I have had a jolly good look under mine in the last few days and it needs a jolly good wire brushing and paint up.

I think when the warmer weather comes I'll have it up on axle stands, get all the wheels off and the exhaust back box, buy a good few litres of black Hammerite paint and once I've wire brushed it all and pressure washed it down, left it to dry and drunk some tea, I'll get down and dirty with a paint brush and coat everything in it!

I figure that's the best way to keep it good. I think Waxoil can create pockets within its self for moisture to sit in, so can do the opposite of what it's meant to do!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 Apr 2015 17:52 #141946 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Does it actually ever dry though John?
Kirkynut

Yes in about 2 days. TBH Rob it can sometimes take ages to dry hard - like a week or more - which is why I use it mostly on inner regions but having said that, once weathered and dry it is as tough as nails. It comes off when wet dead easily with petrol. I always use it instead of Hammerite in places like exposed inner sills and chassis and I'd use that rather than Hammerite in those underneath parts. I swear by it.

As for Waxoyl (and a few others) it is the only thing I can get into door cavities and such like. I have just had a go today (as it is 15° and a nice day} at my rear door. In order to get the stuff to flow and run in to the nooks and crannies with the probe I had to thin it a lot. In places the door has three layers of steel all meeting and joined- a nightmare for coverage.

More
07 Apr 2015 16:28 - 07 Apr 2015 16:48 #142054 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote:
I think when the warmer weather comes I'll have it up on axle stands,
Kirkynut

I had a go today, just one inner sill area. Had to investigate why the speedo is not working. Checked the gearbox drive in the transfer box and after a false start (I forgot about the diff) it turned. So I turned to the rust in that area. Couldn't resist and used Aquasteel for the first time. Reminded me of Kurust as I was painting it on (like milk) but wow, it seems to really work. Can't underseal it for 24 hours but how it lasts will be interesting.

Last edit: 07 Apr 2015 16:48 by helijohn.

More
31 May 2015 23:32 - 01 Jun 2015 09:19 #145199 by kirkynut
I've been using the Jimjam daily for the last four days to give it some use. I checked all the fluid levels today including the gearbox and all oils in good condition with correct levels.

I seem to have all the teeth from the old rear diff out now so it's going really well.

A long survey underneath has shown me that I need to get some paint on its under side but there's nothing more than surface rust. So once rubbed down and painted it will be good. No major rust, which is lucky considering I used to go through all sorts of mud and muddy water once!

I've toyed with the idea of selling up and moving on for a while but have alot of money invested in this car that I won't get back. It just doesn't get used though.

I think I'd like a car I can make all shiny and showie. I quite like lowered new beetles, not the current one but the old new one as it were!

I don't know. If someone offered me enough I might would let it go.

Kirkynut

Last edit: 01 Jun 2015 09:19 by kirkynut.

• GraphicX
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2015 04:30 #145200 by GraphicX
Replied by GraphicX on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
i can see you regretting it if you sold it, it's the kinda car you could just garage while you've lost interest as i'm sure at some point the interest will return & you'll want it back.

More
01 Jun 2015 09:17 - 01 Jun 2015 12:08 #145204 by kirkynut

GraphicX wrote: i can see you regretting it if you sold it, it's the kinda car you could just garage while you've lost interest as i'm sure at some point the interest will return & you'll want it back.

About 2 years ago I'd have agreed. So I've kept it for 2 years and the interest has only waned more in that time. I read Dave Jones' blogs on Bits4Vits and my interest re-ignites for the rest of that day but then that's it.

I've always been a bit of a bufty at heart and I'm forever cleaning my daily car - MK6 Fiesta ST but I'd like to use the garage to house something nice and clean and modified that stays clean in the garage.

We shall see as it's not up for sale yet and the Mrs doesn't want me to sell it. Having said that - if the right offer was made it would likely go.

Kirkynut

Edit:

Then again, when we have kids I think I'd like them to get out in the countryside from a young age to appreciate it and not sit in front of a computer or games console for hours on end. The Jimny would be the ideal way to do that but is small for a family. I suppose a little one in the back greenlaning would be ok whilst they are little. As they get older and bigger they might get a bit big for the back seats but it would do for the time being.

Maybe I should use the Jimny as a daily kept on the drive and as greenlaner and have another car as my shiny bufty car.

We shall see an I'll not come to any rash decisions. My Jimny is a good one with lots spent on it so it would be a waste to sell it.

Bloody Starlings are flying into the patio window again now lol!

Edit of an edit:

I would miss this fine forum too!

Last edit: 01 Jun 2015 12:08 by kirkynut.

More
01 Jun 2015 16:55 #145233 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: I've kept it for 2 years and the interest has only waned more in that time............................if the right offer was made it would likely go.

The Jimny would be the ideal way to do that but is small for a family. I suppose a little one in the back greenlaning would be ok whilst they are little. As they get older and bigger they might get a bit big for the back seats but it would do for the time being.

Maybe I should use the Jimny as a daily kept on the drive and as greenlaner and have another car as my shiny bufty car.

We shall see an I'll not come to any rash decisions. My Jimny is a good one with lots spent on it so it would be a waste to sell it.

I would miss this fine forum too!

Though I am not an off roader as such as you probably remember I cross fields weekly (when I am "out there"). I am a lover of fourbies for the snow, parking on anywhere land and inclement weather. Don't forget also I have my Pajero 2.5TD.

Now I say this because I think I know where you are coming from in this dilemma Rob. Jimny for me is not a daily ride even though I do very few miles a year; I thought a Jimny could be after years of owning a lovely black SJ plus various Vitaras at the same time though I was a bit disappointed BUT it's nice to have a small economical 4x4 and when I was without a little toymobile I was at a loss.
Cutting a long story short I am sure you will want another after a few years of not having one.........dead sure!!
But here's the thing, it doesn't have to be a Jimny - particularly if you decide to have something as a "daily ride"!

Frankly, if you are happy enough with your Jimny then keep it; it is probably worth more to you as a keeper anyway and now you have it set up to your requirements why not get 25+ years out of it. Store it, SORN it whatever..............just hang on to it.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds