BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
10 Jul 2015 20:38 - 27 Feb 2018 21:48 #147566 by kirkynut
I've not been happy about the surface rust on the underneath of my Jimny for a while now. So today I sprang into action to do something about it!

Here is what it has been looking like underneath of late:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Now I take inspiration from Renard on here and Zukenutter who does frequent this forum but hails from Oz, so is on Auszookers mainly. Renard's Jimny is painted white underneath and he keeps it in tip top condition. Zukenutter has a sticker on his rear diff that is just so cool I bought one off him some time ago.

Today's work involved it looking like this:

File Attachment:

I've been under it with a wire brush loosening off all the peeling paint, bits of surface rust and the factory underseal (yes there was some, not a lot though), which seems to have split and holds water under it.

Then once this was done I got under it with the pressure washer to blast off anything left on it and all the dust I created with the wire brushing!

I then left it out in the sun to dry fully whilst I went out to get a large and expensive tin of smooth black hammerite.

Next set of rest days I shall get to it with a paint brush and paint every inch I can. I shall also get some waxoil on the underside of the boot floor to keep it good as this is obviously a place rust likes to start.

I won't waxoil anywhere else as it is horrible stuff and gets on your clothes whenever you work on the car thereafter. A thorough Hammerite session and regular washing as I do, ought to make it last a bit longer.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 21:48 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2015 06:38 - 11 Jul 2015 06:40 #147570 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Good time of year to do the underside imo, I'm planning a waxoil 'top up' any day soon ..... ;)
Last edit: 11 Jul 2015 06:40 by Tadpole.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2015 10:12 #147576 by OllieNZ
If you haven't already, I'd advise dropping the tank out so you can get to the bits that it covers.

More
11 Jul 2015 16:07 #147596 by kirkynut

OllieNZ wrote: If you haven't already, I'd advise dropping the tank out so you can get to the bits that it covers.

Steady on old chap! I thought wire brushing and painting in 30'c was a bit mad of me - dropping the tank aswell! No chance!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2015 16:29 #147598 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...

kirkynut wrote:

OllieNZ wrote: If you haven't already, I'd advise dropping the tank out so you can get to the bits that it covers.

Steady on old chap! I thought wire brushing and painting in 30'c was a bit mad of me - dropping the tank aswell! No chance!

Kirkynut

After what I've seen on mine this week it would be well worth the 15mins it would take to drop the tank out ;)

More
11 Jul 2015 18:07 #147602 by kirkynut

OllieNZ wrote:

kirkynut wrote:

Kirkynut

After what I've seen on mine this week it would be well worth the 15mins it would take to drop the tank out ;)

I think 15 mins is a bit ambitious on a UK Jimny!

Kirkynut

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2015 18:17 #147603 by OllieNZ
Not really, give all 6 bolts a good soaking in a penetrating oil of your choice. Take off the filler cap undo the two bolts that hold the filler neck, slacken the 6 bolts that hold the tank, place a support under the tank, remove the bolts and lower it till you can reach the connectors and top and disconnect and remove.
I'm in the UK btw ;) (really need to change my user name lol)

More
11 Jul 2015 18:52 - 27 Feb 2018 21:49 #147605 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Here is what it has been looking like underneath of late:

I've been under it with a wire brush loosening off all the peeling paint, bits of surface rust and the factory underseal (yes there was some, not a lot though), which seems to have split and holds water under it.

Then once this was done I got under it with the pressure washer to blast off anything left on it and all the dust I created with the wire brushing!

I then left it out in the sun to dry fully whilst I went out to get a large and expensive tin of smooth black hammerite.

Next set of rest days I shall get to it with a paint brush and paint every inch I can. I shall also get some waxoil on the underside of the boot floor to keep it good as this is obviously a place rust likes to start.

I won't waxoil anywhere else as it is horrible stuff and gets on your clothes whenever you work on the car thereafter. A thorough Hammerite session and regular washing as I do, ought to make it last a bit longer.

Kirkynut

Oooh, I feel for you Rob, it's a job that took me over a month on my recently acquired Junior. I have done every inch from rear to front including wings.

There was so much rust dust that I had to go in with a full breathing mask. I had to use a power drill rotory wire brush to shift it - the regular wire brush didn't do squat - oh and my other fav. tool is an old bastard file. The pointy end is great for checking for rot and the other end shifts rust like the devil.

Mind you, yours seems in somewhat better nick underneath than my Junior and even though I didn't have any rot I thought it best to apply a proprietory rust treatment before I went ahead with my favourite chipcoat/underseal.

On surfaces like floor undersides, wheel arches etc. I wouldn't use Waxoyl Rob but I would use, as I have, a chipcoat/underseal because, as much as I love Hammerite paint, from experience I don't believe that Hammerite paint will take the beating. For that I do really like the chipcoat underseal with added Waxoyl.

I pump the actual Waxoyl into cavities and chassis.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 21:49 by kirkynut.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2015 20:25 #147613 by OllieNZ
This is the bit I'm on about
File Attachment:

I don't think you can get to it without dropping the tank. The join you can see in the photo has rusted through into the cabin on mine.

More
20 Jul 2015 20:55 - 27 Feb 2018 21:55 #148097 by kirkynut
Well I did the painting today and had a look above the tank Ollie as you can get a good view of it from under the nearside with the car on axle stands. I have to say I was grateful it was relatively spotless.

I had thought hard about whether to drop the tank in all seriousness following your comments as the rear seat belt mountings are there. I am lucky and it is clear that there is no rust there having looked from under the car and inside it under the rear seats.

I am pleased to say that it is all done and it looks good under there now. I only just had enough paint to do it but did put it on nice and thick as I have found that when brushing Hammerite on you need to get lots of it on there nice and thick and not worry about runs underneath the car!

I hope to make the rear diff look a bit fancy soon but we shall see if that comes to fruition. Here's today's efforts anyway:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

The view of above the fuel tank as best as a photo can show it:

File Attachment:

I am pleased to have painted the end of the rear shafts as they look horrible in rust colour poking through the centre of the rear wheels.

There's a few other bits I'd like to brush up on but I'll have to get another tin of paint. The tow bar could do with some more and then I want to do the cage and bumpers again.

It's all fun and games!

Kirkynut

Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 21:55 by kirkynut.

More
20 Jul 2015 21:08 #148103 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Well I did the painting todayKirkynut

It looks really good. B) Well done! ;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2015 21:19 #148108 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Very nice should think it was very satisfying when you had finished B)

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds