BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Jimny M13A engine knocking

• adritfe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2019 10:16 #215889 by adritfe
Jimny M13A engine knocking was created by adritfe
First of all, i am new at the forum and i am very confused by the loud noise that my engine is making. Id be grateful if someone can help me to found the failure. I’ve check the play in rod bearings and piston pins and camshafts in adittion to check valve clearance and everything seems right although im not an expert. Also i remove the n4 rod cap and the bearing looks perfect too. Thank you and sorry for my english.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adritfe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2019 10:27 #215890 by adritfe
Replied by adritfe on topic Re:Jimny M13A engine knocking

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Nov 2019 11:08 #215892 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. That sounds a bit like the main crank pulley for the drive belts catching on a front of the block. They are a laminated rubber type and are prone to failure. From the video it doesn't sound heavy enough to be internal. That said it is very difficult to tell over the internet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• adritfe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2019 13:58 #215896 by adritfe
Replied by adritfe on topic Jimny M13A engine knocking
Thanks for anwering! I really hope you are right, i’ll check it. Is there any procedure to find out if this pulley is gone?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Nov 2019 15:35 #215897 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny M13A engine knocking
When running it will have a wobble that is visible to the eye. It will also usually be shortening belt life.

• adritfe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2019 11:05 #215929 by adritfe
I’ve check the pulley and it is in perfect condition too, a bit rusty but the rubber is fine and it has no play at all. I dont know what to look at anymore... Please if somebody has any idea i would really appreciate it!

More
25 Nov 2019 21:01 #215964 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny M13A engine knocking
It's never going to be easy to determine the cause via a video, I suspect the most likely cause has already been put forward by Lambert. Any further suggestions may just be educated guess work unless you can pinpoint the area from which the noise originates.
You can use a mechanics stethoscope to try and locate the source, they do work even if a bit old school. A long screwdriver can be used as a substitute, but please be careful if you go this route of rotating parts withing the engine. If in doubt don't do it, and stay away from the fan and drive belts.
Good luck

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• adritfe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2019 22:11 #215996 by adritfe
First at all, thank you very much by the help! Now I’m waiting for a new dinamometric wrench due to mine has a higher range than the specified torque for the rod cap. I think i’ll start the engine in one week. Apart from that i realice that the power steering pulley has an important axial play, could it be the causant of the noise? I send a vídeo.

• adritfe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2019 22:14 #215997 by adritfe

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Nov 2019 05:24 #216004 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny M13A engine knocking
That's not normal. Or rather mine doesn't do that. It is possible to run the engine without the power steering belt attached, that will quickly tell you if the noise is associated with that end play or if it is deeper into the motor. It is also possible with a cold engine to run it for a very short time without the alternator belt but be aware that you have no coolant flow if you do. Again it will also quickly determine if the noise is internal. Only run the engine for a minute at most without the water pump being driven and only when the engine is cool otherwise you will do meaningful damage.

More
28 Nov 2019 07:58 #216039 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny M13A engine knocking
I'm with Lambert. Run it up from cold with no drive belt on that and see if the noise has gone.

If you cannot find an external noise source, I had piston slap on an Ignis Sport that sounded similar.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• adritfe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2019 18:22 #216050 by adritfe
Replied by adritfe on topic Re:Jimny M13A engine knocking
Oh! I really hope the noise comes from de p/s pulley... when i check de rods in the upper side i dont notice any play when i shook the rod. If i had piston slap wouldn’t it do the same noise when i shake the rod? The cylinder walls looks good too... Althougth i’m not an expert. Thank you!

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds