BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Coolant

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2019 06:17 #215567 by Owl
Jimny Coolant was created by Owl
Jimny 1999 G13BB, Losing a little water from the reservoir every couple days, its not much but interested to know if that's a normal for these? No loss of coolant through hoses or radiator. Owl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2019 07:45 - 12 Nov 2019 07:46 #215569 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny Coolant
Hi
It's not normal for the M13A engine and I doubt the G13BB is any different (or any engine), so the unfortunate truth is you have a small leak.
Hoses are usually a culprit on older engines and the leak can be so small evaporation can hide it's location. Antifreeze (rather than plain water) can help to locate the leak as a residue is left behind at any leak site. Any noticeable damp spots on the floor in the morning?
If you have checked everything external and still can't find the leak then it could be the head gasket. Signs can be starting on 3 cylinders first thing or a cleaner spark plug in one cylinder, but they could also indicated none related issues. But don't assume this, plenty of places it can leak from - even the heater matrix.
You could try one of those "seal" products if it's a small amount, they do work in certain circumstances, but if you have already used one adding more is not going to help unfortunately.
Good luck

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 12 Nov 2019 07:46 by Scimike.

More
12 Nov 2019 09:47 #215570 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Jimny Coolant
Mine did that (M13A)
There was very small evidence on the floor.
Turned out to be the thermostat housing which is not very accessible.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
12 Nov 2019 21:22 #215583 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny Coolant
Yep my M13A leaked a small amount, damp patch on floor every morning. Small drip off the radiator drain plug, but it turned out to be the radiator top hose. When I got the new hose I was surprised how much the integrity of the top hose had deteriorated in 10 years of use, no side wall strength at all. Also surprising how hard it was to see the leak even on the hose under my nose!
Now fixed no coolant is used at all.
So keep looking !
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds