BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fan belt AGAIN!

More
09 Nov 2019 10:23 - 09 Nov 2019 10:24 #215505 by Fossie
Fan belt AGAIN! was created by Fossie
Asking on behalf of my daughter, who some may have met on the Jimny meet. ( red hard top jobbie)
Anyway her fanbelt snapped again 3rd or 4 th in a year. The crank pulley has been checked by the local garage , when they fitted a new water pump. But can you diagnose the fault of bonding failure when cold and stationary in fairness.?
This morning ...the first deep frost , it squealed a bit but soon stopped , went to the stables and the usual smell , signs ...yep no coolant and a snapped belt.
Question which is the more likely cause , alternator bearings or crankshaft pulley. In ideal world both , the water pump is new so shouldn't be that,
It's a 2004 hard top so M13 engine no aircon .
She phoned hoping to just borrow our cabrio ....but as fate would decree our brake pipe are gash as per another thread.....

Ps I have read some other threads on here but no conclusions it seems .
Last edit: 09 Nov 2019 10:24 by Fossie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2019 10:57 #215506 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Fan belt AGAIN!
With the engine running, look at the pulley/belt. Is there any wobble

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Jimny Sprocket
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2019 14:00 #215604 by Jimny Sprocket
Replied by Jimny Sprocket on topic Re:Fan belt AGAIN!
I’ve had two snap on me, after fitting the second replacement I checked and adjusted tension.

I get squealing sometimes when I first start, I avoid using the blower and heated rear window and any lights and let the car idle for a couple of minutes to replenish the battery before driving off.

I know this is more about treating symptoms than a cure, but I can’t find any faults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2019 22:32 #215610 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Fan belt AGAIN!
Only a thought,but have you checked the 'V' on the water pump pulley which you say has recently been changed.
If any of the 'V's' are different, alternator-water pump etc are the wrong profile it will cause excessive wear on the belt under tension.

More
14 Nov 2019 16:32 #215627 by paul2u
Replied by paul2u on topic Fan belt AGAIN!
i had this kind of thing happen to me a few year ago i was stumped all pullies was ok and the water pump was fine , the problem turned out to be the altornator bearing but the bit was when you spun the pulley it spun well what was happening was after a while running it would tighten up to almost siezin up , i changed the altornator and all was well i went thru a few belts before i got it , best way is to be ready to spin the altornator pully after a trip when everyhting is hot

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2019 16:48 #215628 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Fan belt AGAIN!
Which engine is it? If its the m13 it is not always obvious when inspecting the crankshaft pulley that it is delaminating. My daughters car ran two belts and I replaced the pulley and no further problems. There looked to be nothing wrong with the pulley! Ensure you put the correct length belts on. The numbers relate to the length.

More
15 Nov 2019 00:04 #215638 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Fan belt AGAIN!
Well my daughter topped up the coolant and drove it to the garage who replaced the previous belts and checked the pulley.
They fitted a new belt FOC! They ordered a new alternator and will fit it tomorrow at cost, no labour charges..
You couldn't ask for anything better.
We shall see tomorrow .....TBC...

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds