BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

rear diff

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2019 18:19 #215238 by jfkenpoman
rear diff was created by jfkenpoman
just had the call from my mechanic who has told me i will need a new rear diff, not sure what the problem is until tomorrow when i can get to see him, any one have any idea where I can get one, its for a 2005 abs jimny.
thanks guys
regards
jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2019 19:02 #215239 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic rear diff
Sorry to hear about your faulty diff. Second hand is going to be the cheapest option, plenty of people on eBay breaking Jimny's, also a chap on here breaks them, not sure of contact name..
I guess a lot will depend upon what's actually wrong with your diff, could be possible to get it refurbished or repaired.
Did you expect a diff problem when you dropped it off at the mechanics?
Not aware they are problematic in any way other than the odd wheel bearing.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2019 19:54 #215240 by jfkenpoman
Replied by jfkenpoman on topic rear diff
no mate thought it was wheel bearing, he did the kingpin on drivers side, then thought hit was rear wheel bearings as was still making noise, ill update when I see him tomorrow

More
30 Oct 2019 20:11 - 30 Oct 2019 20:12 #215241 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic rear diff
James Priestly has secondhand parts regularly, J999PRE on this forum I think.... you can find him on FB.

sniper
Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 20:12 by sniper.

More
31 Oct 2019 07:11 - 31 Oct 2019 07:15 #215243 by facade
Replied by facade on topic rear diff
Not saying it isn't the diff, but-

Mine made a noise from the back axle. Definitely the back axle. I even got a proper mechanic to confirm it was the back axle.

Jacked it up and spun the wheels, they feel really notchy & stiff, like all the bearings are covered in flats, never mind pitted.
I've been spannering cars for 40 years, and I know what a diff feels like, and this isn't right.

Push & pull on the wheel, of course it moves, so I fit a new bearing. Exactly the same.

Changed the diff- exactly the same feeling, and noise.

Gave up.

A week later a FRONT wheelbearing collapsed. (the brakes needed two pumps to work as the disc moves)

Changed it, and the noise from the back went.

Recently jacked up the new Gen4 (to check the diffs are the same front & back), and spun a back wheel. Guess what- it feels tight and like the bearings feel all covered in flats too.:whistle:

Must be the 4 pin diff.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 31 Oct 2019 07:15 by facade.

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2019 09:55 #216447 by jfkenpoman
thanks guys, so i know its been a while but been working lots of overtime to pay for jimny!!!!! so had replacement rear diff fitted, new oils in both front and rear diff, wheel bearings checked and are ok. still making the noise but only at about 30-35 mph? on the plus side my mechanic did fit my suspension lift kit for me and i've fitted my new wheels and tyres.
still more to investigate. dont know if its the backing plate on front disc that may be rubbing? any ideas guys...many thanks

More
14 Dec 2019 17:23 #216458 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic rear diff
This is a tough call to suggest possible causes. Is it the same noise as before but now only at 35+mph or are you just hearing a new noise after the other sources have been eliminated?
It could be resonance of a part such as exhaust, heat shield etc, but I would expect it to happen with engine rpm rather than speed. It's possible it's the brake shield but I would have expected it to manifest itself on the mechanics ramp.

Best Idea is to get a passenger to have a listen around as you drive to try and pinpoint the area from which it originates, front / rear is a good start if possible. Then is it only happening when moving and is it engine rpm related.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2019 20:23 #216468 by jfkenpoman
Thanks mate, yes it is the same noise, i thought it may be the brake shield I'll have a check when I finish my 4 night shift pattern

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds